Poll

Which format ruined Millionaire for you?

Clock Format
7 (28%)
Shuffle Format
11 (44%)
Neither, they were both fine
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: What ruined Millionaire?  (Read 2066 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: What ruined Millionaire?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 09:15:49 PM »
you get that money in installments

Not necessarily a bad thing.  Gives you a guaranteed income for X-number of years, ensures you won't piss it all away immediately or lose it all to swindlers, and if you can get a good financial advisor you can parlay it into guaranteed income that will continue even after the original million has been paid out.
"Now folks, I want to thank you very, very much for inviting me into your homes for the last 50 years.  I am deeply grateful.  And please remember - help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered.  Goodbye, everybody!"
- Bob Barker signs off for the last time, June 15, 2007

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
For me, it was simply a show whose time had come and gone.

Yes, tinkering with the format and trying to entice new viewers, perhaps encourage more daring play and get more big winners didn't help. But at the end of the day, the show was in recent years (from what I've observed) simply time filler, and I don't think it was doing any good being on anymore. People were burned out by the show and apparently audiences want something new and fresh.

Simply put, it was time for "Millionaire" to take a rest. Maybe bring it back in about 10 years or so, but for now, retire it with dignity and move on to something else.

Brian

Offline pannoni1

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
I feel that the show jumped the shark early, with the high amount of celebrity episodes late in the Regis era being the culprit. That said, like Happy Days, the immediate post-shark seasons were still pretty good, though not quite with the magic of the first two. Regis announcing the night number for the first 100 episodes really showed how special the series was, as it came in the wake of a time where shows with the top prize of $5,000 on cable and syndication were still common, and all of a sudden, combined with the innovative set, marked an entire new era of game shows that lead to the short-lived but memorable Greed, an even shorter-lived revival of Twenty One, and even even shorter-lived big money show (Dick Clark's last) called Winning Lines, and on and on in the years to come from Deal or No Deal, 1 vs. 100, and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, as well as later botched efforts like the Million Second Quiz and 500 Questions. But when 500 Questions was cancelled and ABC brought back its Summer Fun and Games in 2016, the era had basically come to a close, despite a mini-revival of Deal or no Deal recently.

Overexposure hurt as well, given that the granddaddy of big money quiz shows, the $64,000 Question, only aired once a week. I'd wish ABC had a spin-off called "The Millionaire Challenge", where the biggest winners of the show ($250,000 and up) would play for even more in perhaps a more unique format that could have included the shuffle format.

Super Millionaire in 2004 was just a gimmick to try to renew interest in the show by bringing back Regis and adding a ridiculous top prize that nobody came close to winning. Pretty much after that point, I was done with Millionaire, and I honestly felt like I didn't miss too much, and seeing the shuffle format made me wonder "is this really Millionaire?"

The clock format was like "well, its only half an hour unlike Regis, so at least we can get more questions and players in". Really, you only need a minute at most for most questions, with banking for the tough questions even more difficult. That said, there have been some $1M questions (like the distance from the sun and the term for 100 zeroes following a one) that I could have grasped instantly. Switch the question was a good idea in case you don't have a clue and would waste time picking an answer.

But Shuffle is where the show really went downhill. It reminded me of another short-lived game from 2000, "It's Your Chance of a Lifetime" on FOX, where a set of categories would be shuffled for each question level, though at least it had the Jeopardy! element of wagering. It seemed that they wanted to be desperate for ratings with the set/music/format/host overhaul, but that was simply way too much at a time. Good shows make their changes gradually, and that's why Wheel/Jeopardy!/Feud/TPIR have lasted so long.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/