Author Topic: A Classic PYL Question  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Blissey

• Walking the Golden Road
A Classic PYL Question
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »
About the Whammies on the original "Press Your Luck," I have a question. See, I was watching the 4th of July episode that BUZZR posted on their YouTube channel, and it got me thinking: when the contestant hit a Whammy, did they play the Whammy in studio?

Offline vnisanian2001

Re: A Classic PYL Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »
Yes. I remember Rick Stern (associate director) said on Facebook that the Whammy animations were on one-inch tapes.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 03:27:33 PM »
I would assume the contestants saw the Whammy animations since they would sometimes be shown reacting to them before the symbol popped up on the podium.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 12:24:19 AM »
The contestants could clearly see the Whammies, but I always wondered how.  Logically you would expect a monitor to be embedded in the platform next to the scoreboard that the contestant looks at, but I never saw a monitor like that in any wide shot.  Were the monitors hidden somehow in the carpeted slope underneath the scoreboards?  Did a stagehand roll a monitor in front of the contestants, just off-camera?  I've never figured it out or seen a definitive explanation anywhere.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 01:19:37 AM »
The contestants could clearly see the Whammies, but I always wondered how.  Logically you would expect a monitor to be embedded in the platform next to the scoreboard that the contestant looks at, but I never saw a monitor like that in any wide shot.  Were the monitors hidden somehow in the carpeted slope underneath the scoreboards?  Did a stagehand roll a monitor in front of the contestants, just off-camera?  I've never figured it out or seen a definitive explanation anywhere.

If you look closely during some of the credit longer credit rolls (the ones where they used the wider shots), you could sometimes see a black box off to one side of the stage. It was never all that clearly shown, but best I can recall it looked like it was divided into nine squares--not sure why but I always figured that was what they played the Whammies on.