Author Topic: ABC Fun and Games 2019 rankings  (Read 14357 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: ABC Fun and Games 2019 rankings
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »
No idea on Truth, but it seems inevitable Price will be the first eight decade game show.

It would be in sense of airing before Truth probably will next year with the next season. Close though to them.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 07:40:23 PM »
It would be in sense of airing before Truth probably will next year with the next season. Close though to them.

...huh? I've read this six times and I can't figure out what you're trying to say.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »
The Price is Right will gain the distinction of "first game show to air in eight decades" a few months before To Tell the Truth. Price will get the distinction in January 2020, and TTTT will probably become the second a few months later in the summer assuming it continues to air as part of ABC's summer games block.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:52:47 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 08:33:11 PM »
The Price is Right will gain the distinction of "first game show to air in eight decades" a few months before To Tell the Truth. Price will get the distinction in January 2020, and TTTT will probably become the second a few months later in the summer assuming it continues to air as part of ABC's summer games block.

That makes a little more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 11:25:29 AM »
I'll weigh in only on "Card Sharks," and for me I'm not a big fan of it.

I think the show worked best in its original incarnations -- particuarly the Eubanks/Rafferty version, followed closely by the Perry version. (Only ranked Bob Eubanks up because of the car endgame.) Fast paced and a lot of time to play the game. I also liked how if you lost one game, you could come back and maybe take the next two. (So five cards.)

Speaking just for me, I'm not at all a fan of this "build the suspense" type of showmanship. Just show us the outcome already, bidunwidit and get on to the next game. You're going to win or lose no matter if you turn over the card right away or wait through 10 minutes of commercials and yapping by the host of "what are you going to do if you win the money".

For me, the show lost me with its presentation, not really at all with gameplay. It's relatively faithful to the original. (Although one twist I might have added is this special bonus: If it's "sudden" death and the player hits the correct answer exactly, he/she can -- if they choose to force their opponent to play his/her set of cards -- force them to change a good base card (ergo, hope to swap out a 2, 3, king or an ace for a 7, 8 or 9) and then play off that card.)

Brian

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:42 AM »
1 Pyramid - One of the best revivals ever and Michael is a good host. Its true to the classic versions.

2 PYL - The main game is basically classic PYL and it's fun to watch. I would rather see two 30 min games played with a returning contestant. The Bonus Game takes way too long and i feel like it's unnecessary. Someone took a page out of DOND to have a dragging show with emotional contestants and crying family members.

3 Match Game - This show is fun with the right panel. Alec tries but he isn't the best host out there.

4 Card Sharks - This is more like the 2001 version then the classic versions, Joel Mchale looks like he doesn't want to be there. The show drags way too long and the contestants are hyper to the point it looks like a infomercial with bad actors. I don't think Card Sharks works as a hour long prime time show.

5 Celeb FF - Family Feud has been on the air for 20 years and this show comes on over 5 times a day it's a tired show. The sexual questions and Steve reactions and fussing were funny a few times during his first season they are not funny anymore.

6 TTTT - I watch one episode and could not get into the new version. Anthony Mom doesn't really add anything to the show. I can see why they changed the format for primetime and today audiences. The older versions which i much prefer would be too boring for today audiences.

Offline jwalk03

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »
1. Pyramid- Michael is a good host; the set looks good; the rules are classic pyramid.  My only complaint about this show is the STUPID STUPID tiebreaker rule.  If its a tie, they should play the tiebreaker round like they always did.  Not this whoever got the points faster nonsense.

2. Press Your Luck- Awesome set; the game is still fun.  I don't love the bonus round, but its not awful either.

3. Match Game- It pretty funny and silly like it always was.  Even Alec is reasonably funny, though I still don't like him very much.

4. Celebrity Family Feud- Its ok.  Steve Harvey is funny, but I do agree that EVERY SINGLE QUESTION doesn't need to have innuendo.  Like one sex question per game should be enough.  And some of the questions are just stupid like the candy for your wife's behind that both teams were only able to come up with one answer to.

5. Card Sharks- I love the set and like the poker chips for the money cards.  The male card dealer always having his other had on his stomach is weird to me.  10 cards with only 5 questions is a bad ratio.  The original game was 5 cards-4 questions.  I don't want every game to come down to sudden death.  Maybe 7 cards-5 questions, or 10 cards- 7 questions.  Something like that.  Also same card in the money cards should be a push not a loss.  That dude that got 3 aces in a row got screwed!!

6. To Tell the Truth- Completely unwatchable.  I tried- its just not a good show.  In fairness I never LOVED the original TTTT version they were just ok, so the revival just doesn't work for me.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 08:51:28 AM »
1. Pyramid- Michael is a good host; the set looks good; the rules are classic pyramid.  My only complaint about this show is the STUPID STUPID tiebreaker rule.  If its a tie, they should play the tiebreaker round like they always did.  Not this whoever got the points faster nonsense.

2. Press Your Luck- Awesome set; the game is still fun.  I don't love the bonus round, but its not awful either.

3. Match Game- It pretty funny and silly like it always was.  Even Alec is reasonably funny, though I still don't like him very much.

4. Celebrity Family Feud- Its ok.  Steve Harvey is funny, but I do agree that EVERY SINGLE QUESTION doesn't need to have innuendo.  Like one sex question per game should be enough.  And some of the questions are just stupid like the candy for your wife's behind that both teams were only able to come up with one answer to.

5. Card Sharks- I love the set and like the poker chips for the money cards.  The male card dealer always having his other had on his stomach is weird to me.  10 cards with only 5 questions is a bad ratio.  The original game was 5 cards-4 questions.  I don't want every game to come down to sudden death.  Maybe 7 cards-5 questions, or 10 cards- 7 questions.  Something like that.  Also same card in the money cards should be a push not a loss.  That dude that got 3 aces in a row got screwed!!

6. To Tell the Truth- Completely unwatchable.  I tried- its just not a good show.  In fairness I never LOVED the original TTTT version they were just ok, so the revival just doesn't work for me.

7. The Gong Show (cancelled)- Just couldn't quite make it for some reason due to poor chemistry between the host and judges, and in a world of AGT/AI/DWTS, it's just too crowded for it to compete. People often forget that when the original Gong Show was on, it didn't even have Star Search or Dance Fever (at least towards the end) to compete with. I never stomached an entire episode, whereas I tried TTTT a couple times.

That said, $100K Pyramid is clearly the best, though I enjoyed last night's Match Game just about as much as PYL, and that show has fully found its groove at this point. I really enjoy the classic take on classic Whammies as well as the set though. We'll see what the miniature golf show is all about as well as another brand new show tonight following it, but I believe these shouldn't last too long since they lack a heritage that the other shows do.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
Forgot about the Gong Show. I never watched this latest version, because I never liked the show in general.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
1. The $100,000 Pyramid:
I loved the original Pyramid iterations and the Michael Strahan one seems to keep the closest in format to the Dick Clark days. I also really enjoy Michael as the host - he is not over the top, doesn't make it about himself, and seems genuinely happy for the contestants.

2. Card Sharks:
I had never seen the original Card Sharks until a random episode I picked a few weeks ago, so I had only just gotten familiar with the format before seeing this revival. That being said, I enjoy the current iteration of it. It does have some differences from the other versions, but it seems to stick to the original pretty closely, even with the Double Dare / Card Sharks remixed theme. Joel McHale isn't too bad of a host, some of his lines seem almost scripted though. The one thing I'm not too fond of of this version is that the set is so large - the contestants stand so far away from where the cards are. I just wish it was a little closer.

3. Match Game:
The Alec Baldwin version sticks pretty closely to Gene Rayburn's version, even with the colors of the set. What I don't like is how much it's like the current version of Family Feud - most every question is written to elicit a dirty answer. I know there was some of that in the original version, but not quite as often, it seems. I'm not a fan of Alec as the host, everything seems quite scripted and he doesn't seem to care too much about the contestants. The celebrities they've had have seemed pretty decent for the most part, at least.

I honestly haven't watched the other shows yet, but I look forward to Fresh Off the Boat's Hudson Yang and his family to appear on Celebrity Family Feud sometime in the next weeks.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.