Author Topic: Mid-70s set question  (Read 4511 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Mid-70s set question
« on: June 16, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »
Just saw a picture taken from a mid-1970s episode (somewhere between 1975 and 1978, based on the tiles in front of Contestant's Row), and noticed something I don't usually see... on the far right wall of the audience area (same side of the studio as the Turntable) there appear to be some kind of colored panel on the wall (I've drawn a red rectangle on the picture to point it out). Any idea what that was for, and when it began to be covered up by the CBS eye curtains above it?

https://imgur.com/jXTjMEp

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Mid-70s set question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:32:48 AM »
I could be wrong. But I think it has something to do with The Carol Burnett Show.
I think that's where her live orchestra sat.   Any time she'd acknowledge the orchestra, she'd look off in that direction.
Again, just a hunch.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
That panel covered up the windows of the acoustic partition that separated the orchestra area from the audience.  If TPiR didn't have it, you would have seen through the glass to an empty part of the stage.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:26:36 PM »
At 7:34 into this video, Carol Burnett references the area of the Studio 33 stage that had the orchestra shell.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:20:45 PM »
I'd have to see the coloring of it, but for some reason that piece reminds me of the '71 Password set.

Of course, it being the '70s, it was probably brown anyway.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 08:02:52 AM »
Somewhere online I watched a video once that a Price employee had made behind the scenes on Bob's last day. I seem to remember that you could see this area from behind, and there were windows along here.

Does anyone know what video I'm talking about?  I can't find it anywhere.  I think it was shared through one of the Facebook groups that I'm a part of.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 05:11:59 PM »
Yes, that's the video. Thanks! All I could remember was that the title would not be helpful in locating it.

The windows I was thinking of are around the 4:40 minute mark. But now upon further review, it looks more like a booth around the sound effects area.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 07:52:11 PM »
But now upon further review, it looks more like a booth around the sound effects area.

Still looks to me like the original band partition, just being used by Hope for a different purpose.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 06:33:13 AM »
Based on the pattern seen on the Turntable, my guess is that it was between 1972 and 1975, because the first set makeover occurred in '75, when the original purple-red-orange colors debuted, along with the green carpet and borders.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 06:58:45 AM »
Based on the pattern seen on the Turntable, my guess is that it was between 1972 and 1975, because the first set makeover occurred in '75, when the original purple-red-orange colors debuted, along with the green carpet and borders.
And the multi-colored Contestant's Row displays, which are present here. Thus, 1975 to 1978 (which is when the tiles were removed, leaving the bare G-T asterisks on the floor).

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 07:19:15 AM »
That pattern was removed shortly after the Carol Burnett Show was cancelled (around Season 7), and the golden eye curtains were visible in that part of the audience. It was made specifically for TPIR, as it blended in with the Big Door frames, and it changed colors on the same day the "rainbow overhall" of 1975. 
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 01:46:35 PM »
Watching episodes from around that time, I've often noticed that the seating on the right side of the audience (stage left) seemed to go a bit farther back than it does now. I'm wondering if some seating was taken out to make room for equipment or an easier access to the control room.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!