Author Topic: Host Your Own Forum - Rules and Regulations (2019 Version)  (Read 17636 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Host Your Own Forum - Rules and Regulations (2019 Version)
« on: June 17, 2019, 09:07:59 PM »
Welcome to the revamped Host Your Own section!

Here, site members are able to play along with and host mock games of The Price is Right for the community. Whether it be for practice for the real show or simply for bragging rights, mock games are a fun way to get a feel for the real show, and build a stronger community as a result.

If you want to take part in the fun here, either as a host or a player, please read the procedures below. That way, we can keep games moving in a quick, orderly, and relatively error-free fashion.

GENERAL PROCEDURES:
> In order to either host a show or play as a contestant, you must be an active and participating forum member with at least 20% of your posts coming from outside the gaming sections (Host Your Own, CSS, and FPG). Generally, the majority of your posts should be about some televised version of The Price is Right, whether they be episode commentary in recap threads, discussion in the First Run Recap section, or similar contributions. Exemptions may be made for members who have appeared on the televised version of the show. In all cases, the G-R staff retains the right to determine the eligibility of a given member based on their posting history, and may disallow a prospective player/host on these grounds.

> We do encourage users to cheer each other on (whether they be spectators or players in their own right). Hosts may choose to limit when this may occur (during the One-Bid round, for example, some Hosts may disallow outside help).

NOTES FOR PLAYERS:
> If you sign up for a show, you are responsible for keeping track of the game's progress and meeting all deadlines associated with in-game actions. Since deadlines are normally 24 hours for all actions, this means you should be checking in on the game at least once per day. Individual Hosts are free to determine their own penalties, but typically missed deadlines result in skipped turns, and possible eviction from the game.

> If you know in advance that you will be away from the forum for an extended period that may lead you to miss a deadline, it is your responsibility to notify the host of this absence. This can be done simply by posting in the game thread, though it is also recommended to send said host a forum PM as a backup. Deadlines can be extended or suspended in cases such as this, but ONLY if the host is notified in advance. Additionally, Hosts may choose to appoint a replacement player.

> All decisions made by players are considered final once posted. Do not edit your post after it is submitted.

> Don't cheat. Period. Any resources outside of your own brain, including things like Google or price lists, should be considered strictly off-limits. If you couldn't do it on TV, you can't do it here, plain and simple. Any infractions of this rule will have suspensions, if not lifetime bans.

NOTES FOR HOSTS:
> Any member (INCLUDING staff) who wishes to host a show (and who meets the guidelines established above) should send a forum PM to therealcu2010 requesting permission to host a show.

> For inexperienced hosts, this PM should include a "script" laying out a plan for the show - this script should include all games, big wheel spinning procedures, prizes (with values AND sources), and any other information pertinent to the success of the show. You do not necessarily need to send game setups.

> Experienced hosts with at least five completed shows to their credit may omit the scripting requirement. Instead, their PM should include links to five previously completed error-free shows.

> Scripts will be reviewed by the staff for overall quality before a show is approved, and they may request changes or clarifications to the script as necessary to maintain the integrity of the game. Shows will be approved based on script quality and member participation, not solely on a first-come-first-served basis. Sending a script does not necessarily mean you will be approved to host. Hosting requests will be kept on file for 60 days from the time of submission, and any attempt to "spam" additional scripts/requests may result in hosting privileges being disallowed.

> To keep the section from becoming overcrowded with games, in general there will be only ONE forum show running at any given time by any given host. When the active show reaches the Showcase round, therealcu2010 will advise the next approved host to launch their thread and begin selecting contestants for their game. If for some reason there is no active show running, hosts will be allowed to start their thread and begin selecting players immediately upon approval.

> We want to see a wide variety of hosts showing off their talents. If you have just completed a show, you will generally not be approved to host another one until at least three other hosts have had a chance to start and run a show. This requirement may only be waived or altered at the discretion of the staff if there is a shortage of hosting requests at a given time.

> You are free to use whichever format you desire for your show, so long as it largely resembles The Price is Right. Most hosts use either the American 60 minute or 30 minute format, but others may choose to use custom or other international formats. Inexperienced Hosts should consider doing half hour shows to get a feel of things. The use of original pricing games is acceptable, so long as the overall game still feels like it belongs on The Price is Right.  Any custom rules or nonstandard game elements should be very clearly stated/explained up front by the host, so as to avoid confusion when they surface in-game. If you wish to use original pricing games created by other people, be sure to give them appropriate credit for creating the game.

> Prizes should typically be sourced from outside of the actual show, with links to the source provided in your script. In games where the price of the prize is not integral to the gameplay (i.e. most fee games), you may pull a prize from a previous run episode, but the recap for the day’s show should be cited as a source.

> Also to be included in your script should be your procedure for spinning the big wheel. ALL wheel spins MUST use some form of transparent method such as a formula. Simply having the contestant say "spin" and using a site such as random.org as you go along is unacceptable. The only acceptable use of random.org is to get a list of predetermined spins, which (if this method is used) should be included in the script and/or made available to the admin staff on demand. Failure to do this will result in denial of future hosting privileges.

> Once you have been approved to host, selected your players, and started your game, make sure you enforce a 24-hour deadline on all decisions. Hosts should update their games at least once daily, unless there is an established absence that would cause a time extension. If you are going to be unable to update your game for several days, make sure you inform your players in the game thread and also the staff by forum PM so we know you haven't let the game die.

> Don't rig your show. Period. Hosts may not rig games or give one player relevant information that other players do not have access to. If you couldn't do it on TV, you can't do it here, plain and simple. Any infractions of this rule will have suspensions, if not lifetime bans.

Any questions may be asked here in this thread; the admin/mod staff will do their best to answer any and all questions, with the rules possibly revised for clarification, on an as-necessary basis.

Have fun, and happy hosting (and playing)! 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:19:51 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Host Your Own Forum - Rules and Regulations (2019 Version)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
ALL wheel spins MUST use some form of transparent method such as a formula. Simply having the contestant say "spin" and using a site such as random.org as you go along is unacceptable. The only acceptable use of random.org is to get a list of predetermined spins, which (if this method is used) should be included in the script and/or made available to the admin staff on demand. Failure to do this will result in denial of future hosting privileges.
Does this rule and/or a similar one also apply to picking random outcomes for luck-based games such as Plinko and 3 Strikes?  I'm especially interested in an answer about 3 Strikes due to the nature of that particular game.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »
Does this rule and/or a similar one also apply to picking random outcomes for luck-based games such as Plinko and 3 Strikes?  I'm especially interested in an answer about 3 Strikes due to the nature of that particular game.

Not sure about Plinko; but in 3 Strikes, the numbers and strikes were compiled and randomized. The contestant would call out a number from 1-8 and the number would correspond to a chip, whether a number or strike. The range of numbers would decrease as numbers were correctly guessed and/or strikes were pulled.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 10:11:35 PM »
Not sure about Plinko; but in 3 Strikes, the numbers and strikes were compiled and randomized. The contestant would call out a number from 1-8 and the number would correspond to a chip, whether a number or strike. The range of numbers would decrease as numbers were correctly guessed and/or strikes were pulled.

I did the exact same thing for 3 Strikes. I used the List Randomizer to generate a list of all of the digits and the three strikes; the contestant would call a number (in my case, it started at 1-9, since my setup had six digits), and for the number they called, I'd go to that position on the list. For the sake of transparency, I always imported each list into an Excel spreadsheet, and made a new list for every pick.

As for Plinko, well, I just plain don't play it.

There's a thread stickied to this section with suggestions of how to randomize games.

/crap, if I'm going to host again, I'm going to have to come up with a new formula for determining wheel spins, since I've told several people my old one...
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ComeOnDown98

• In the Audience
  • Lavender lollipops!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 07:34:11 PM »
Okay, now I took the time to read the rules after my big bork.

I'll wait a few months as instructed on Discord, then submit my script.