Author Topic: The Gritty Reboot: gamesurf's Price is Right - THE END!  (Read 32840 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
The Gritty Reboot: gamesurf's Price is Right - THE END!
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
Everybody likes a good comeback story, right? Seabiscuit; The Mighty Ducks; Robert Downey Jr; Rocky...

After two and half years, WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY! Y'all made this possible! It's my privilege to present to you the first show in this summer's shiny, newly renovated HYO section! This is still your favorite game, with wonderful fake prizes for smart shoppers...but with a little bit of extra flair and a personal touch just for you guys in this forum.

This is a half-hour episode; six people will come on down, three will play pricing games, top two winners go to the Showcases.

Audience participation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED! Jokes, banter, memes, are ALWAYS welcome! Shouting out prices and advice is welcome, too, at all times except during the IUFBs.

Since this is the HYO section, we’ll be exploring a little bit of gray area in this show that may not fly on CBS daytime. But it’s definitely rated PG. Maybe PG-12.

Other ground rules:
  • I’ll PM you when you are called on down the first time, but after that, it’s your responsibility to check this thread at least once a day! (PM beforehand if you think you may need special circumstances.)
  • All players are on a 24 hour time limit for responses. If you miss your deadline in contestants’ row I reserve the right to call a replacement player the next round in order to give somebody else a chance to participate. Miss your deadline in a pricing game and it’s an auto-loss. So please please please, don’t forget to check the thread!
  • Don’t try to google prices, of course.
  • Do not chew gum on television!
  • And most importantly… have fun!!

Now, if you want to play, here’s an interview question!

CBS has hired you as the prize coordinator. You hear a ring on the phone. CBS has a dilemma for you—they want to add one last-minute promotional show for the end of the season. Unlike other specials, this one will be sponsored. By Ex-Lax. And they insist you offer enough of their product to underline how special it is.

They’ve sent you a giant crate of filled with boxes of chocolate laxatives they expect to see featured on the show in some way. There’s only one taping day left in the end of the season, so you have to…ahem…*dump* all of your sponsors’ material into this one show. You have to give away 5,000 tablets of Ex-Lax laxatives in one day. How do you do it?

You have license to tweak anything about the show you need to in order to keep your sponsor happy. The most creative answers will be given priority in coming on down—and the less serious, the better.

Answers will be close at 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday June 25. Can’t wait to read them! And the show will get on the road Wednesday afternoon... Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:19:21 PM by therealcu2010 »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
Re: The Gritty Reboot: gamesurf's Price is Right
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
I'm in! Let's do it!

As for the Ex-Lax, that's easy. Give away chocolate for a year in every pricing game... on their annual Valentine's Day special. To add, I'll have Drew not tell the contestants they have laxatives in it. Marriage rates will plummet and CBS will get all sort of lawsuits while I say 'you wanted me to sell them.' ...And they'll probably do the same gimmick next year regardless due to Ex-Lax having such deep pockets. And then an Ex-Lax executive will run for president and win, signifying their complete takeover of the United States of America. And then we'll truly be in... 'deep crap.' :-D
Stop the madness.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
So excited to have HYO back.

I'd tie it in with a prize featuring an entire bathroom makeover including a home theatre package for the bathroom, an expensive toilet with heated and cooled seat and a squatty-potty.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 05:04:53 AM »
Am I in?  You bet your Plinko chips I’m in!

Both Showcase Showdown segments are sponsored by Ex-Lax.  For every number the Big Wheel lands on, that number is multiplied by 10, and the contestant receives that number of tablets.  That should cut down a good chunk of them.  The rest can be divided up and presented as a gift to the audience during an appropriately-themed, gas-related Showcase featuring the ultimate bathroom, complete with an air-locking/soundproof commode with bidet feature, plus ‘pinto beans for a year’.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 08:49:38 AM »
First, I want to thank you, gamesurf, for what you've done to bring back the HYO. I never thought I would ever say this, but I am absolutely in!

Second, before the show, buy 300 packages of M&Ms. Cut them open, remove the candies, and replace them with laxatives. Then, as Stan is interviewing each contestant, his assistant will distribute the bags of "M&Ms". And the rest is history.

For added fun, put a sign on each bathroom of the studio that says, "Out of Order". Then watch the fun!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 09:04:50 AM »
Sign me up. :)

I would just put the laxative tablets in a popcorn cart or a giant gumball machine.

2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »
Count me in!

I hope the audience likes having a year's supply of Ex-Lax....
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
Count me in!

I found this out on a recent trip to New Orleans. The late, great Louis Armstrong endorsed laxatives. As such, I would endorse the Ex-Lax as part of a Showcase that pays tribute to Satchmo. The prizes in order: a year's supply of Ex-Lax, jazz lessons for an instrument of the contestant's choice and a trip to New Orleans with a port of call for a Gulf of Mexico cruise.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 02:23:24 AM »
I'm going to do this! I have not participated in this area of the forums since we were all doing Play Along games (I once gave away a Dodge Viper in 2 for the Price of 1!) and I think it's time to get back to the playing areas on the board!

Who knows? Maybe I'll win another game of Push Over?
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 10:15:40 AM »
I'm totally down to play.

For our sponsor situation, I would definitely play Vend O Price for a trip to the toliet museum in New Delhi, India with crates of the Ex-Lax as a bonus, then "clog" the bottom shelf with like 20 MORE packs of Ex-Lax for an easy win. So much branding in one segment, the sponsors wouldnt be able to hold in their...excitement :-D

And don't even try to tell me you don't get your laxative products from vending machines, I know I do. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:19:53 AM by 123123123 »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 05:07:58 PM »
Excited to have Host Your Own back and hope to be able to play!

As for the Ex-lax: I think the best way to "dump" it would be to give it away in... Secret X! Secret X-Lax anyone?

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 09:13:52 PM »
I’m in!

I’d do a winnings match - for each dollar in cash and prizes that a contestant wins, they win one Ex-Lax tablet. With some easy setups, it wouldn’t be too difficult to give them all away.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 12:23:21 AM »
I'd like to play.

As for the Ex-Lax:
-every contestant and member of the audience gets a year supply of Ex-Lax
-winner of the showcase gets a LIFETIME supply of Ex-Lax delivered all at once to their door in a huge Ex-Lax truck; after the show, show a clip of said truck coming in and the driver opening the back to reveal a bunch of crates of Ex-Lax boxes, helping the contestant to move the crates into the contestant's house; extra points if the contestant happens to be in the bathroom at the time they receive their "prize"
-no option for anyone to decline their year/lifetime supply of "prizes"; in other words, the showcase winner will be forced to accept a lifetime supply of Ex-Lax

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 11:37:13 PM »
You know, I'll step in for this HYO, but what you don't know is that I've been on the phone with Fremantle, and this thing is going to be a reality.

I was going to PM Adam a rough recap to help him out, but since the secret is out, I may as just leak the whole episode.

Episode Number- 8806K
Original Tape Date: June 24th, 2019

Here it comes! From the famous Bob Barker Studio in Hollywood, it's The Price is Right!

Thomas Crapper, Come on Down!
John Harington, Come on Down!
Joseph Gayetty, Come on Down!
Samuel Prosser, Come on Down!

You are the first four contestants on today's special "5,000" episode on The Price is Right!

Just like on the April Fools' Day special in 2011, it is never stated what exactly the 5,000 stands for. Drew keeps hyping up something special happening, but nothing special happens.

IUFB #1: Portable Restroom (PolyJohn, comes with side vents and lock)

$1000|$599|$1250|$1

ARP: $649, Joseph wins!

Joseph has a chance to add to his portable restroom a dream Kohler bathroom with free installation, [1] and 100 boxes of 48 count Ex-Lax Chocolates, a prize package worth $27,539, if he can guess properly on BONUS GAME

Small Prizes-

SP1- Brown Plunger- $70
Joseph goes Lower.
ARP: $20

SP2- Toilet Seat- $45
Joseph goes Lower.
ARP: $70

SP3- Shower Head- $55
Joseph goes Lower.
ARP: $60

SP4- Bathroom Sink- $250
Joseph goes Lower.
ARP: $300

The hidden bonus is behind SP1.

Crapshoot #2- WIN!

In fact, everyone in the audience will be receiving $250 worth of Ex-Lax chocolates due to Joseph winning!

George Harding, Come on Down!

IUFB #2: Nintendo Switch (Pro Controller, 5 Games)

$599|$1000|$1|$2

ARP: $660, George wins!

George can enjoy his Switch with a duo of TVs (82" and 65" of Samsung 4K UHD TVs, 2 Blu-ray players) if he catches the Freeze Frame

***[61][78]***
[12]TRIP    [21]
[71]5760   [98]
***[60][57]***

STINKER!

J.C. Thomasa, Come on Down!

IUFB #3: Soundstream 7Pc Car Stereo

$300|$799|$555|$556

ARP: $870, John wins!

John might be able to walk away with a Nissan Versa S Plus with splash guards worth $15,595 if he can sink the Hole in One Toilet.

The lawn in this playing is painted white, except for the lines, which look like the perforations of toilet paper, leading into the circle, which looks like a giant toilet. The ball is a brownish shade.

Grocery Products:

16-count hot dogs
8 oz. dried banana chips
14 oz. white rice
6 oz. yogurt
10 oz. potato chips
Ex-Lax chocolates

yogurt | rice | banana | potato | hot dogs | chocolates

$0.50 | $2.99 | $1.50

John will put from the second line.

Inspiration putt- too far left

Crapshoot #1- Overshoots

Crapshoot #2- WIN!

Coming back from commercial break from Hole, instead of actually having gameplay, Drew does a 30-minute infomercial, detailing the miracles of Ex-Lax. We were given absolutely no time to do a special, so we could barely scrape off prizes we had in the homes of the staff. Either way, this is the first "half-hour" show in a few decades, since all the fans like a throwback.

TW: Joseph
RU: John

SC1- PRESENTED BY EX-LAX
If this showcase is won, the winner will receive a lifetime supply of Ex-Lax chocolate.

Since the first water system in America was made in Boston, the showcase starts with a trip to Boston (6n, The Colonnade Hotel)
Now, we get to the place with the origin of hot water systems in beautiful Greece! (6n, Pi Athens)
Finally, ride out your luxuries with a Toyota Yaris LE Sedan! (auto)

Joseph passes, John bids $25,000.

SC2- WHAT WAS LEFT BACKSTAGE
$3,000 in cash
Trip to Albuquerque, New Mexico (6n, Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa)
Trip to Nelspruit, South Africa (6n, Aha Casa do Sol Hotel & Resort)

Joseph bids $17,000.

John bid $25,000 on SC1. ARP: $34,501. Difference of $9,501.

Joseph bid $17,000 on SC2. ARP: $14,452. MRRRP!

John leaves today with $50,096 in merchandise.

Mike Richards comes out and briefly says that it has been an honor to be on the show for so long, and that he is happy that he could have said goodbye with such a great season finale.

Price List (I wanted to be semi-accurate)-

IUFB #1- https://www.webstaurantstore.com/polyjohn-pjn3-1016-dark-blue-portable-restroom-with-translucent-top/621PJ31016.html
Bathroom- See https://youtu.be/i7X4QRiYM5A?t=27.
Ex-Lax chocolates- https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ex-lax-chocolated-stimulant-laxative-pieces-chocolate/ID=prod396219-product
Squatty Potty Emoji Poo Plunger- https://express.google.com/u/0/product/10402442394797640996_15027538222744547727_1183006
Toilet Seat- https://www.signaturehardware.com/luxury-toilet-seat-light-oak.html
Shower Head- https://www.amazon.com/52841-UniversalShoweringComponents-Raincan-Single-Setting-Touch-Clean/dp/B01G75Z1CI
Bathroom Sink- https://www.ebay.com/p/Signature-Hardware-Vilas-Porcelain-Wall-Mount-Sink/525344259

IUFB #2- Just going off of knowledge, Switch is $300, Pro Controller is $70, Smash, Odyssey, BotW, Splatoon 2 are $60, 1-2-Switch is $50.
82" TV- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-82-class-led-q60-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331772.p
65" TV- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-led-q60-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331761.p
Blu-ray players- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-streaming-audio-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player-black/3279089.p

IUFB #3- Taken from the June 5th, 2019 playing of Line 'em Up.
Hot Dogs- https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Nathan-s-Famous-Bun-Length-Skinless-Original-Beef-Franks-32-Oz-16-Count/43937810?
Banana Chips- https://www.dollargeneral.com/good-smart-dried-banana-chips-8-oz.html
White Rice- https://www.target.com/p/minute-174-instant-enriched-long-grain-white-rice-14oz/-/A-13325507
Yogurt- https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Yoplait-Original-Yogurt-Strawberry-Kiwi-6-oz-Cup/10320914
Potato Chips-https://www.target.com/p/lay-s-classic-family-size-potato-chips-10oz/-/A-12992102

SC1-
Boston- taken from Bonkers on 4/9/2019
Greece- taken from Flip Flop on 3/28/2019
Yaris- taken from 10 Chances on 4/9/2019

SC2-
$3,000 in cash- duh
Albuquerque- Taken from Math on 5/13/2019
Nelspruit- Taken from DP on 6/19/2019

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 09:44:13 AM »
You have waaaaaay too much time on your hands. :D
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!