Author Topic: The Gritty Reboot: gamesurf's Price is Right - THE END!  (Read 32858 times)

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: The Gritty Reboot: gamesurf's Price is Right - PG3
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »
Whoops. Well that strategy backfired. I’ll try $18,627

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2019, 09:32:59 PM »

He's set a price of $18,627 for the car. If you're correct, you'll be driving out of here in that beautiful automobile. Otherwise, you'll have to walk home.

For a car...

Is...

that...

the...

right...

price?

*BUZZ!*

*cue losing horns*

Oh! Oh! I'm so sorry, Adam. You had such a strong start. All that hype for it to end so swiftly.

What was the right price?

Hey! That guy at the green podium would have gotten it first try! Turns out your buddies in Contestants' Row weren't so bad after all... :-(

Folks, we'll be back with our fabulous showcases right after this!
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2019, 10:41:46 PM »
Hey! That guy at the green podium would have gotten it first try!

Not anymore, gamesurf! I am now a proud member of the First Four Breakfast Club!

Oh, *ahem*, my car, please.  ;)
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2019, 01:19:24 AM »
Before we begin our showcase round, those of us at the show would like to pay tribute to some of those who are no longer with us.

*cue the piano coda from “Layla”*

*Clips of various retired pricing games are shown in a brief montage. Each retired game is followed by a “what happened to them?” segment.*

*The Step-Up arrow has been repurposed as the first traffic light in a small town in rural Arizona, while the Credit Card ATM has been purchased by the Bank of America. The Hit Me playing cards are entertaining senior citizens at a retirement home in Reno, and Clearance Sale's price tags have never stayed in one place for long, travelling from Sears, to K-Mart, to Toys R Us, to Macy's, and are currently employed at Barnes and Noble. The Professor Price puppet has finally been discovered in New York City—frozen solid in the back of a meat truck.*

-
-
-
-
-

Contestants not appearing onstage will receive…

A supply of Sea-Bond denture adhesive! No mess, no ooze, and creates a tighter seal than the leading competitor. Bye bye, ooze. Hello, Sea-Bond!

And, a telephone from the Invention Submission Corporation. Inventors, ISC can help you patent your idea and submit it to companies. If you’re the sort of person who falls for these scams, you’re probably also the sort of person who still uses a landline telephone. Call 1-800-288-IDEA!

And now, here’s gamesurf with our Showcases!

Thank you, Prince of Pronunciation! With his bee-YOO-ti-ful playing of Cliff Hangers, the biggest winner of the show so far is TPIRfan#9821! And PayingTheRent, thirsting from redemption from those tricky handbags, is the runner-up!

PTR and 9821, each of you will be shown a terrific showcase filled with thousands of dollars of wonderful prizes. The one of you who bids nearer to the actual retail price of your own showcase will win it. But if you are the winner, and you are $250 or less away from the retail price of your own showcase, you will win both showcases!

Pay close attention to this first showcase, because it could go to either one of you. Good luck!

*cue Splendido*

This showcase contains prizes revealed as we discover things that are washed up!

First, we have this load of dirty laundry. Gross! Where can these go be washed up? How about the laundry room…where we find a handy washer and dryer!

From Samsung, this ultra-quiet washer/dryer combo contains five spin settings, is compatible with Amazon Alexa, and can sync with your smartphone to give you alerts!

Next, we have this stack of of dirty dishes. Uh oh! Where can these go be washed up? How about in the dishwasher… of your new kitchen!

From Bosch, this ultra-quiet dishwasher features adjustable racks, six wash cycles, digital controls, and a stainless steel design. Plus, this stainless steel refrigerator stores your favorite foods at your favorite temperatures. Features humidity controlled bins, LED lighting, and ice maker. And this stainless steel electric oven has fast preheat and digital controls. Microwave included!

Finally, we’ll follow artists once youthful now milking their name for stacks of cash. Eww! Where can they go be washed up? Well, you’ll be able to see aging rock stars about to enter their fifth decade of touring…when you accompany Metallica on their world tour!

*Splendido continues*

You and a guest will follow geriatric rock band Metallica for seven days through the Australian leg of their “Worldwired” tour! You’ll fly coach nonstop from Los Angeles to Melbourne, Australia, for a two night stay at the Crown Towers Melbourne, following which you will fly coach Melbourne to Sydney, Australia for a two night stay at the Shanghai-La Hotel Sydney, and finally fly coach to Brisbane, Australia, for a two night stay at the Brisbane Marriott Hotel before heading home. You’ll also receive a pair of premium tickets to Metallica concerts at all three stops, plus one backstage meet-and-greet!

And this showcase, which contains prizes revealed as we discover things that are washed up, can be yours if The Price is Right!

9821, as the top winner, you get the option. Do you want to bid on this showcase, or do you want to pass it to PayingTheRent and bid on Showcase #2?
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2019, 01:41:09 AM »
Metallica? If I took this showcase, I'd never be able to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. That's a hard pass.

Watch as the second showcase has something even worse.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: The Gritty Reboot: gamesurf's Price is Right - SHOWCASES
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2019, 02:57:54 AM »

Very well. PayingTheRent, that's your showcase! What do you bid on it?

(Also, a slight correction to the prize copy--the hotel you'll be staying at in Sydney is the Shangri-la Hotel Sydney, not the Shanghai-la Hotel Sydney. We will have our copy editors spayed and neutered.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:06:27 AM by gamesurf »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2019, 03:18:53 AM »
Those poor copy editors...  :-o

If it pleases the host, I’d like to sing my bid to the tune of “Enter Sandman.”

(chorus)
Price is RIGHT
Bid I MIGHT
Take my bid
I’m gonna bid 18 grand
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2019, 03:43:20 AM »
*DING!*

$18,000 for PayingTheRent. TPIRfan#9821, take a look at your showcase!

*cue Every Room In The House*

This showcase includes something for every generation in the house!

First, generation Z, or the post-millennials. Generation Z loves games, hyperactive visuals, competition, and instant gratification. Get them off their phones and playing outside… on your new inflatable Twister set!

Jump-start the ultimate party with this heavy-duty inflatable Twister set! Combine the game that ties you up in knots with the toy that launches you into the air! Comes with air blower, spinner, repair kit, and durable packing bag. Insurance waivers not included!

Next, the boomers! With their strong, self-assured work ethic and focus on independence and self-reliance, Boomers are ready to hand to the world off to a new generation and retire… in their new mobility scooters!

Mow down anyone who gets in your way with this pair of all terrain 4 wheel mobility scooters! Assert your independence at a top speed of 12 mph! Each scooter supports up to 350 lbs and can run for up to 28 miles on a single charge! A single spin will have you singing “You made me love you!”

And who could ever forget the millennials? Market research says that millennials are hyper-focused on educational opportunities and self-improvement. Tell them to unplug from the Internet and spend some time reading books… like the kind that would fit in this elegant bookcase!

This wooden bookcase features rich, ornate details and contains an adjustable and removable ladder rail system, four shelves, three drawers, and museum-style pilaster to fit in any corner! No wifi connection needed. Good luck finding an apartment where you can fit this in on a millennial’s salary, though.

And finally, Generation X. Cynical, challenging, and anti-establishment, now they’ve grown up and are ready to have the world at their fingertips. What place in the world would best represent that? How about wonderful...Bulgaria!!!

You and a guest will fly round trip coach from Los Angeles to Sofia, Bulgaria, for a 6 night stay in the Central Hotel Sofia. Recently ranked 144 in overall happiness out of 156 countries, you’ll visit the capital of Bulgaria in the overall heart of the Slavic Republic. Wracked by economic struggles less than a decade ago, you’ll come to love the cynical yet pragmatic culture in your brief visit here! And we’ve included a private tour of nearby ruins of the ancient Roman Empire, as a reminder that even the most impressive among us have a fleeting existence in our time on this Earth.

And this showcase, featuring something for every generation in the house, can be yours…if the Price is Right!

What a wonderful showcase! 9821, what do you bid on that?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »
I am a proud "Gen Z"er...and I'm already receiving denture cream. Dagnabbit! But what in the world is that thing? Inflatable Twister...looks fun, but I couldn't even win playing on level ground!

#9821, I'd go with $20,020. I'm hoping that Bulgaria is at least $10K., and those scooters look pretty expensive.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »
^I agree with you, but I honestly feel that the scooters and Bulgaria alone would total up to a bit less $20k. I get the bouncy thing is going to be worth maybe $1k, but if that bookcase is nice, I'd expect it to be $6k-$7k.

I'll bid $26,666.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: The Gritty Reboot: gamesurf's Price is Right - THE END!
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2019, 04:33:05 PM »
*DING!*

$26,666 for TPIRfan#9821. We'll be right back to find out who the winner is, don't go away!

-
-
-
-
-

PTR, your showcase contained appliances and a trip to Australia. You bid $18,000 on it. PTR, the Actual Retail Price of your showcase IS!

For a difference of...

*DING!*

$5,999. This means, TPIRfan#9821, that if your bid is closer than $5,999 without going over, you'll win your showcase. You had an assortment of things including a giant twister board and a trip to Bulgaria, and bid $26,666 on it. Devilish. 9821, the Actual Retail Price of your showcase IS!

9821, I'm sorry, you're over!

*MRRP!*

And PayingTheRent is the winner! PayingTheRent has earned redemption from that tragic Shopping Spree loss! He'g going home with nearly $25,000 in fake prizes today! Congratulations! What a champion!  Enjoy your appliances and your trip!

This is gamesurf, reminding you--don't cook bacon with your shirt off. Until next time, goodbye everybody!

*PayingTheRent and his friends and family run up onstage as part of the winner's walk*

This is the Man with the Golden Voice, speaking for the Price is Right. A G-R.net HYO production!

-
-
-
-
-

POSTMORTEM

Thanks everybody, for your participation! Thank you especially to those of you in the audience that were able to bring that special heckling dynamic to life. I hope you had as much fun playing and watching the show as I did putting it together!

Winners:
PayingTheRent: $24,959
TPIRfan#9821: $10,065
tpiradam: $610
PatrickRox80, DarkShockBro, tpir04: $250
Everybody else: Laughs and good times

Showcase 1 breakdown:
Washer/Dryer combo: $3,998
Dishwasher: $1,899
Refrigerator: $2,999
Oven/Microwave: $4,899
Metallica Australia Trip: $10,804

Showcase 2 breakdown:
Inflatable Twister: $1,030
Mobility Scooters: $13,578
Bookcase: $4,100
Bulgaria: $1,700 (not a typo! Flight for two was $1,374, the tour was $265, and the hotel was a whopping $61. Not $61 per night--$61 total. Bulgaria is one of the cheapest destinations in Europe)

As you may have guessed, Cliff Hangers had an anti 20-30-40 trick, designed to get Hans up the mountain somewhat but still be winnable. Shopping Spree was set up to be lost--the bags are some of Coach's cheapest products, and the margin between the lowest and second lowest priced products was a whopping $289. Cover Up was the most winnable of the lot and didn't have any particular trick to it besides "no 9's in the price"--just bad luck on Adam's part he got four out of five on his first try.

Once again, thank you for making this show great! You can plan for a lot of things in these shows, but you can't plan for a great audience, and thank you for your comments and participation helping bring it to life. Til next time--so long!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:36:02 PM by gamesurf »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2019, 04:41:27 PM »
Heh, I’m now the biggest winner in the history of the new-era HYO! :P

Gamesurf, excellent show!  It was great fun, and you’ve certainly set the bar extremely high for future hosts.  Very well done! :)
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2019, 04:43:43 PM »
Heh, I’m now the biggest winner in the history of the new-era HYO! :P

Conglaturation, good sir.  :P

Gamesurf, excellent show!  It was great fun, and you’ve certainly set the bar extremely high for future hosts.  Very well done! :)

"But no pressure or anything, DSB."  :P Nah, I kid; gamesurf, you did a great job. I want to see this new HYO succeed, so I'm truly glad it's starting off well.  :-)
Stop the madness.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2019, 05:01:35 PM »

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2019, 05:04:16 PM »
Excellent show, gamesurf! I really loved your hosting style. Sure, I got screwed over by that Bulgaria trip, but overall, the show kept me on my toes, from the vivid descriptions of games to the wacky prizes.