Author Topic: Question: Has Price Jumped the Shark?  (Read 14535 times)

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Question: Has Price Jumped the Shark?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 08:50:42 AM »
The show jumped the shark when Johnny died. It jumped again when Bon left.

Who's Bon?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »
The show jumped the shark when Johnny died. It jumped again when Bon left.
Neither of those fit the general definition.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
Who's Bon?

It appears he was referring to Bob Barker, but accidentally pressed the wrong key.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
Simple answer: No.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 07:47:02 PM »
Yes I meant Bob. Sorry. Johhny's death really started it for me. I never was a big fan of Rod Roddy. Bob Hilton was the best choice.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »
Yes I meant Bob. Sorry. Johhny's death really started it for me. I never was a big fan of Rod Roddy. Bob Hilton was the best choice.

I wasn't aware Bob Hilton was ever in the running--did he audition after Johnny passed away or in the early 2000s when Rod passed away?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 07:51:19 PM »
I wasn't aware Bob Hilton was ever in the running--did he audition after Johnny passed away or in the early 2000s when Rod passed away?
After Johnny passed. There were three candidates in the running, Rod Roddy, Bob Hilton, and Rich Jeffries.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 08:45:21 PM »
After Johnny passed. There were three candidates in the running, Rod Roddy, Bob Hilton, and Rich Jeffries.

Learn something new every day--good info.

Offline Tech_Triumph

• In the Audience
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 09:12:57 PM »
Nah. It’s still popular, they try some unique things to keep the show interesting. I kind of like some of the new themes throughout the year.

For the most part, it’s still the classic game.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
The Price is Right is a lot better now then what it used to be. I thought Bob should of retired ages ago.

Drew hosting hes a lot better then he used to be during his first few seasons. I can watch the show and enjoy him hosting the show. He cares about the contestants and the family vibe is back with the models and George.
George fits in the show well.
Having Male models on the show is a nice change you see that often on international versions of Price.
They updated the set and props which needed it badly during the Bob Years.
The Theme shows doesn't really bother me. I do miss the Primetime specials.
The prizes are a lot better now i would be mad if i won a grandfather clock or a spa.

Richard Karn did a way better job on Bingo America. Family Feud needs a comedian as the host.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2019, 07:18:55 PM »
The show is fine as long as the gameplay itself does not change.  Yes we had set and podium upgrades, changes behind the scenes, inflation, prize changes, cast and crew changes, themed weeks and so on, but as long as TPIR still feels like TPIR, that's all that matters!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 07:41:49 PM »
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Nope.

A real answer: For the sake of convenience, let's compare the current Price to the show as it appeared after the one-hour expansion in 1975. Four contestants are called to "come on down". Then, a One-Bid takes place. The contestant closest to the ARP without going over goes up on stage to play a pricing game. The process is repeated twice, and then there's the SCSD to determine who goes to the showcase. Then there are three more IUFBs, three more pricing games, one more SCSD, and the showcase. Two showcases of wonderful prizes are presented. Each player bids on their showcase and the one nearest to the ARP without going over wins it, but if he is within $250 of the ARP without going over, he wins both showcases.

The show is exactly the same, albeit with a few cosmetic changes, new pricing games and, inevitably, a new host. The format itself remains the same. If Price jumped the shark, we would've stopped watching a long time ago, but that is not the case. As for the theme weeks, they're great ways of spicing up the show every now and then. It also gives Price an opportunity to take advantage of social media. If they posted on Twitter, "John Doe won $10,000 on Plinko today!", well, that's nice, but not very exciting. Suppose they say, "John Doe won BIG BUCKS playing MILLION DOLLAR PLINKO! Tune in tomorrow to see his huge win!", then it might get more people to tune in (and be sorely disappointed because Big Money Plinko NEVER results in a big win...but let's just keep that between you and me.)

Price has not jumped the shark, and it's a long way from getting close.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
They updated the set and props which needed it badly during the Bob Years.

I don't agree with that at all. The set looked awesome during the Barker years. (with the exception of maybe Season 30, 2001-2002, because the design on the doors was not that good.) I especially loved the Season 31-34 (2002-2006) and Season 35 (2006-2007) sets. Very colorful, very beautiful, but still classic.

https://i.ibb.co/8Mg1Bmp/price17ld.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/hWxZFNP/IMG-0084.jpg

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 11:49:45 AM »
...and Season 35 (2006-2007) sets.

I disagree--from a design standpoint the season 35 set was a nightmare. It was a color overload, and the truth is in how often (and by how much) they had to turn down the lights on the doors whenever there was a game being played center stage. They overpowered anything you put in front of them, and personally I couldn't stand how they were all identical (I like being able to tell which door I'm looking at).

I think the season 27 doors were the best design, followed closely by the starburst doors from season 31.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 07:45:44 AM »
Yes, it has jumped the shark.  After almost 50 years on the air, it had to change and evolve to keep up with the changes in the audience, technology and the television industry overall.  We are lucky it didn't jump more than it has.   If they didn't edit it so much and make the games so hard on regular episodes, and then embarrassingly easy on the themed shows, we wouldn't be so far away from Classic Price.

What's missing are the surprises that made the show special.  With Classic Price the daily viewer would get treated to surprises now and then, whether it was a more expensive car in a regular car game, a contestant with an authentic unexpected reaction or spontaneous chat with Bob, a model making a harmless mistake during a prize demo, etc.  Today, the show is simply too predictable: smart phones, $16,000 cars, trips, trips, trips, and the editing makes it more of reality show vs. a game show.