Author Topic: one thing I do miss on today's shows....  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
one thing I do miss on today's shows....
« on: June 23, 2019, 11:29:37 PM »
...you don't tend to see too many elderly contestants anymore (Price being an exception from time to time).  It seems that too many shows homogenize the type of contestants they put on, usually young and attractive.  Which is understandable from the point of view of likely advertising, and is generally following with the rest of TV, but I do miss the wider age range we used to have.  Especially since often times elderly contestants were among the most entertaining to watch and easy to root for.  Anyone else here feel the same way? 

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: one thing I do miss on today's shows....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 01:23:09 AM »
Now that you mentioned it, I do seem to notice that at times these days on TPIR...
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 01:48:43 AM »
And they weren’t on caffeine.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 03:41:09 AM »
Game shows now mostly audition from casting agencies, and I just find it sad that producers now are going for the kind of contestant who acts stereotypical and ACTING!! so much you'd think they were fakes. Game shows used to just have everyday people appearing, but that doesn't go anymore in the new television landscape does it? Everyone's gotta have that perfectly crafted story and an attitude that smacks of having several stimulants in their bloodstream...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:44:32 AM by AussieEvil »
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »
"This lady is 83 and she does PUSH-UPS!"

You see, producers, there's still quite a crop of "fascinating people" to put on your show. :)
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:55:09 PM »
You see, producers, there's still quite a crop of "fascinating people" to put on your show. :)

You can have the best story in the world, but if you can't tell it with zeal, it falls completely flat. That's more true than ever in the modern TV world. As much as I loathe the hypercaffeinated cookie-cutter contestants we have nowadays, I understand the logic: "If we can't offer them something that's loud and high-energy, you can bet the folks on the show on the other network will." Or, equally likely, "We have to get people on our show that'll give us YouTube moments that people will want to watch, hopefully more than once, and that means loud, high-energy, and as far from 'ordinary' as we can get." Either statement is undoubtedly followed by: "Well, we can't put George on a treadmill and trip him every day...and we can't tell people to tackle George like that time in Most Expensive...and we won't even discuss Samoans...well, we'll just have to pick people that are really hyper and hope for the best!"

/As usual, this wouldn't be quite so problematic if Drew and the producers knew what to do with spontaneous moments, but despite all the improvements he has made I still don't think this is among Drew's strengths. I know what people will say but for comparison, look at the season 27 finale that got posted not that long ago, and skip to Clock Game. When that player went straight from $798 to $800, Bob had a fit, and had fun with that contestant for the entire rest of the show. Yes, that was a Bob Barker way of handling it, but I've never seen a Drew Carey approach that was really analogous to it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:58:46 PM by ThomHuge »