Author Topic: When did NBC Daytime Cullen TPIR go to color  (Read 3025 times)

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
When did NBC Daytime Cullen TPIR go to color
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »
The NBC Primetime run was in color from the start. I think it may have been Christmas Week 1959 (the TV listings for the NY Daily News first started listing color around that time).

Offline name456

• In the Audience
Re: When did NBC Daytime Cullen TPIR go to color
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »
I know it was by 1963 as I have vague memories of seeing it in color. We were one of the lucky ones with a color set. Sadly ABC went monochrome.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 10:47:37 PM »
The final daytime season on NBC (62-63) was the only one in color.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
Are there any surviving color episodes?

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 10:55:33 AM »
I remember discussing this on the GSF a few years back; according to the Chicago Tribune's TV listings, daytime NBC Price was in color from December 14, 1959 until the end of its NBC run.

No episodes were saved in color as far as anyone knows, although a couple years back someone posted a bunch of their home movies from the early 60s on YouTube and there were a few seconds of someone pointing a camera at a color TV that had Price on.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
Are there any surviving color episodes?
Did color kinescoping exist back then?

Even if some of the color tapes would have been saved, I don't think anything recorded on the color tapes they had at the time would have survived too long; when GSN aired the 2000th episode of NBC Jeopardy!, which was years later, it was barely viewable. (IIRC, somebody found the original color tapes of Dark Shadows years ago, but they were in no condition to air.)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:49:11 PM »
(IIRC, somebody found the original color tapes of Dark Shadows years ago, but they were in no condition to air.)
By "original color tapes", do you mean "not the Worldvision syndication masters"?

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 10:56:49 PM »
By "original color tapes", do you mean "not the Worldvision syndication masters"?
I can't say for certain, but I don't think so - that undisputed source of information Wikipedia says that Worldvision didn't have the earliest episodes. However, apparently Syfy later found a source of the earliest tapes that were still in broadcast condition; either that, or somebody misinterpreted the original "not in broadcast condition" statement and the problem was just that it was not in a format that could be played today (similar to when they found Spin-Off and the first two seasons of The Joker's Wild at WCBS, but they had to be converted, and it is an expensive process, so the decision was made not to convert Spin-Off, and I am not sure all of the TJW episodes got converted either).

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 10:59:03 PM »
Gotcha. I've been working on getting the DVD's, and none of those have any subpar-A/V quality episodes, for what it's worth (heck, the pre-Barnabas shows even have their original production slates intact!)