Author Topic: 45 years ago today  (Read 2468 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Double Prices is the BEST game.
45 years ago today
« on: June 28, 2019, 09:28:56 AM »
On June 28, 1974, The Wizard of Odds, Alex Trebek's first U.S game show, aired its final episode on NBC. Although the show only lasted one season, Trebek would later become the host of High Rollers, Battlestars, and Jeopardy!, among other shows.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:31:54 AM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019; Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769

Why is it that the best threads come and go in the middle of the night while I'm asleep?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: 45 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
High Rollers premiered the following Monday, July 1st.

I always thoughts that, alongside Tom Kennedy and Geoff Edwards, Alex Trebek was the best all-around game show host in history because those three gentlemen were so adept at hosting ANY style of game show. I would love to see a full episode of The Wizard of Oz so we could see Alex doing an audience participation type game show.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline ThomHuge

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:58:56 AM »

I always thoughts that, alongside Tom Kennedy and Geoff Edwards, Alex Trebek was the best all-around game show host in history because those three gentlemen were so adept at hosting ANY style of game show. I would love to see a full episode of The Wizard of Oz so we could see Alex doing an audience participation type game show.

*ahem*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7s6_gFV40

:)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:02:55 AM by ThomHuge »

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 62 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
In the summer that The Wizard Of Odds premiered, Alex was Grand Marshal at the WSB-TV (Atlanta) Fourth of July parade. WSB was an NBC station back then (they've been ABC since 1980), and they gave Alex a Southern hospitality welcome.
The Georgia Lottery's slogan is "Today could be the day." In my case, it's "That'll be the day."

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Online pricefan18

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 12:09:14 AM »

No love for Bill Cullen here? He had a TON of different types of shows he hosted, the most of any if I am not mistaken, although could argue his stint on the Joker's Wild wasn't the best. I know some claim that anyway.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:18:16 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 62 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 07:39:48 AM »
Bill was described as being able to make watching paint dry (1974's Winning Streak) entertaining.
The Georgia Lottery's slogan is "Today could be the day." In my case, it's "That'll be the day."