Author Topic: Your favorite TPIR camera shots  (Read 11519 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Your favorite TPIR camera shots
« on: July 01, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »
Splitting off from the "Favorite Set Designs" thread, I'd like to hear some of your favorite camera shots. They can be specific to any one pricing game, or just in general. Also feel free to comment on discontinued shots, or ones of your own that you'd like to see.

Some of mine:
     -The close-up shot of the numbers on 3 Strikes
     -The SCSD jib shot from behind the Big Wheel
     -The Double Cross shot that comes up from the ground as the camera gets closer

Also, I miss the shots from the back of the studio, with the audience in the foreground. Anyone know why this was discontinued?

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Your favorite TPIR camera shots
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 06:25:50 PM »
     -The SCSD jib shot from behind the Big Wheel

To my knowledge they've never done this on the daytime show; only time I've ever seen this was on the Doug Davidson show. Is that what you're talking about?

Also, I miss the shots from the back of the studio, with the audience in the foreground. Anyone know why this was discontinued?

Again, this sounds like the Davidson show more than the daytime show. Is that what you're referring to?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 06:28:12 PM »
To my knowledge they've never done this on the daytime show; only time I've ever seen this was on the Doug Davidson show. Is that what you're talking about?

Again, this sounds like the Davidson show more than the daytime show. Is that what you're referring to?

Nope, both were on daytime as well. The former was used a few days ago on the June 28 make-up show, and the latter is on a 2008 episode that I have on VHS.

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 06:47:18 PM »
Here's the episode in question. Turns out it was from 2009:

(YouTube videos aren't embedding properly; sorry about that. Fast forward to 18:59.)

The only content I have is from 9:02 until the end, so I haven't seen the Push Over shot of the window that pans over to the blocks. I like that. Also, one that I forgot about is the one of the Big Wheel, as it slows to a stop, the camera starts slightly above and slowly moves down to the center of the wheel.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:56:21 PM by tpir04 »

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 06:56:25 PM »
Here's the episode in question. Turns out it was from 2009: (snip) Fast forward to 18:59.

It never occurred to me that you were talking about the CC plugs--I thought you meant it was used during the actual SCSDN. I'm guessing the other shot you're talking about was also a CC plug?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 06:59:05 PM »
Yes, it was.  :P

It just occurred to me that I got the shots mixed up. (Oops!) Go to 43:47 to see the audience shot, which is what I originally intended to refer to.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:08:47 PM by tpir04 »

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 07:10:29 PM »
Yes, it was.  :P

I suggest being more specific in the future. It's not going to be apparent to many people what you're talking about otherwise.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 07:18:21 PM »
I really like the shot of door three of Card Game's car as it's described and brought out. Definitely was quite confusing the first time it was used, then to be surprised with the return of the game.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »
Why the jib is not used to follow from behind the dice going down the ramp of Rolly I still have no idea

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 12:19:56 AM »
The triple-split-screen they use on the final spin of a spinoff in the Showcase Showdown is an awesome shot. Spinning contestant on the left, wheel in the middle, first spinner on the right. Every time I see this shot I admire it.

Whoever’s idea it was to keep the spinning wheel on camera is my hero. It was frustrating when the director would cut away from the spinning wheel to show a close up of the spinner or a close up of the current leader. There were some Million Dollar Spins in Bob’s later years where the wheel was not visible for much of the spin. I couldn’t have been the only one cursing at the screen wondering why the wheel isn’t visible.

I wish they would not include The Giant Price Tag in the shot of Drew & the contestant before a playing of Grand Game. The edge of the Tag can be seen at a height higher than normal since the prop is taller than the Tag, thus tipping regular viewers of the game about to be played.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:32:07 AM by jhc2010 »

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 07:35:17 AM »
Can we talk about shots that we miss:
- Seeing Bonus Game come around the turntable as Drew arrives to the platform
- Seeing the Hole in One putt from down the putting green with the hole in the lower bottom of the screen
- Seeing Drew the second he makes his entrance without the graphic delaying his entrance.
- Seeing the models bring out the one bid from the space between door 3 and the announcer

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »
I'm so glad they brought back the classic split-screen arrow shot for the second and/or Bonus spins. It's also great to see the shot of the contestant shrink into the smaller window on the upper-left corner of the screen when the Yodely Guy is about to move up the mountain in Cliff Hangers. And I love the game-specific wipes that are used, like the rolling cubes in Let em Roll, the X outline in Secret "X", and the honeycomb outline in Spelling Bee.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
Always got a kick out of the shot of the turntable spinning back around, with Janice on it, at the end of Grocery Game, with Bob in the foreground going into a commercial break.  Not sure this shot made it out of the '70s.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 11:58:10 AM »
My favorite shot had to be from way back when Money Game was played at center stage. It was an over the shoulder shot that had Bob, the contestant, the GPT and Door 3 all in the shot. Then the camera would slowly zoom into the car as the door opened.

I believe it was revived with One Away in Drew's earlier seasons (2009-2010?), but short-lived.

I've always been a fan of the angles that show as much of the studio at once as possible. Along the same lines, I like the Double Prices shot when it's played in front of the audience.

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 12:50:24 AM »
I miss the old Hole in One shot that was used for years. Another one I miss is the camera shot of all 3 prizes shown at once in playings of Master Key. And another favorite camera shot of mine was the turntable spinning around to reveal Bonus Game or other pricing games played on the turntable.

However, one camera shot that was nice to see again (on a few episodes that aired last month) was the shot of the ceiling and the camera tilting down after Drew made his entrance through door #2 and started walking to contestant's row. It was a regular thing during Bob's last several years as host of the show. Not sure if that camera shot we saw on those episodes from last month just a temporary thing, or if the director was experimenting bringing it back.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:59:25 AM by 1DC »