Author Topic: Classic Concentration question  (Read 19576 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Classic Concentration question
« on: August 24, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
Has the time allotted for the bonus round ever surpassed 60 seconds?
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Ivoryman86

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Classic Concentration question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 04:55:06 PM »
Has the time allotted for the bonus round ever surpassed 60 seconds?
Yes, a few times it did, as a toddler myself, there has been a time where the Car bonus round had a time of 80 seconds. Yeah, to get the 80 second end game, the creator of the rebus puzzle should be making a puzzle that could be solved within in the first 2 or 3 solve attempts or else it could be a lot of editing if the viewers are staring at the same rebus for a long period.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:03 PM »
I definitely recall it going as high as 80 at least once. 

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 06:52:54 PM »
I definitely recall it going as high as 80 at least once.

I suspect that was an extreme rarity ... but if you get rattled or lose track i can see how it was easy to start going in circles, calling the same number pairs two and three times in a row.

Brian

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »
This probably happened after a run of multiple champions being defeated, and there's an obvious tendency for first-time champs to struggle at the bonus round if you've been watching. Remember that it couldn't go any higher than 60 in the final portion of the run, where the base time was reset to 35 after any champion was retired or defeated, so at least there was a reasonable limit, even if it meant a budgetary cutback in the second "2 Strikes" format. I'm not sure, but did the 80 happen shortly before that rule change?
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »
FWIW, the 80 second bonus round (or one of them) aired today on Buzzr. After 9 unsuccessful attempts, a contestant named Madrid won a Chevrolet Spectrum worth $9,000+.

Funnily enough, he completed the task in under 40 seconds, so it puzzles me why it took so long, but my theory is that for the longest time he forgot to pick up matches of cars he had seen earlier, and those caused him to keep going in circles.

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »
FWIW, the 80 second bonus round (or one of them) aired today on Buzzr. After 9 unsuccessful attempts, a contestant named Madrid won a Chevrolet Spectrum worth $9,000+.

Funnily enough, he completed the task in under 40 seconds, so it puzzles me why it took so long, but my theory is that for the longest time he forgot to pick up matches of cars he had seen earlier, and those caused him to keep going in circles.

That, or he focused, maybe took those bits of advice Alex sometimes handed out after an unsuccessful playing, took a deep breath, relaxed ... and lo and behold, he won.

But are you sure it was the contestant named Madrid who lost nine consecutive attempts before finally winning, or was it multiple contestants who failed the task? Sorry, but I'm a bit confused.

Brian

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »
Well, it wasn't entirely his doing. I'm not crystal clear on facts, but to the best of my memory, he failed about five or six times. The first few attempts were from other players, and I know for sure one other contestant missed when the timer was at 60 or 65 seconds. Madrid was brought back after his opponent solved the rebus because it was an interrupted match. A few matches later, he won the car.

Also, 500th post! *cheers and applause*