Author Topic: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1972 - THE END)  (Read 138122 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
(NOTE: Due an upcoming vacation starting two weeks from today, cu has granted me permission to post sign-ups now. I will not begin this show any earlier than the conclusion of 123's episode.)

Weeeeeeeeelllll, it's been quite a while for me, hasn't it? 13½ years as a matter of fact! Things have changed with the real deal quite a lot since which gave me half the inspiration to call my HYO theme "Seasons". The gist of this is theming each HYO as a reflection of yesteryear, starting from the beginning with 1972. As such, this episode will use the half-hour format.

Ground Rules:
-I will PM you if you've been chosen to "Come on down!" I will also send you a PM if you've made it to the Showcase.
-All deadlines are 24 hours. Miss once during the One Bid and it's an automatic pass. Miss a second One Bid and you'll be ejected with another contestant called down to take your place. Miss a deadline during a pricing game and it's an automatic loss. Miss during the Showcases and you'll lose your chance to bid. If you become a repeat offender with missing deadlines, I may bar you from participation depending on the severity.
-If timing is an issue for you, send me a PM and we'll work things out.
-Audience participation is encouraged.
-Have fun!

The last time I did an HYO, I didn't do an interview question because TMK nobody did them at the time. Answering this is not required but I do recommend it if you want a first four spot. The people who give me the best answers will have top priority. Here's the situation:

It's 1972 and you're answering a phone call. Remember that job application as a page for CBS you sent? You're hired! The catch is, they want you to start working immediately. Off you go to Studio 33 where you've been given your first assignment: come up with a showcase with prizes they think will be built to last. In other words, come up with the most 1972-ish showcase possible: prizes you'd never see 47 years afterward.

I will start this episode at approximately 7:00 PM EST on July 23 or after 123's episode ends, whichever comes later. Sign-ups will be closed 72 hours after this post unless I don't have at least seven people in the audience pool.

With that, who's in?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:06:51 AM by PayingTheRent »

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1972 - Sign-Ups)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »
My goodness, we're doing loads of flashbacks, aren't we?  :-D Not that I mind; we need more classic HYO episode flashbacks. I'm absolutely in!  :-)

Here's the showcase:

This showcase is all about the grooviest pad for you to boogie-oogie in! And in order to have it, you've gotta have the most far out party gadget in the world: this new disco ball!

[Disco Ball cue + description]

Next, you've gotta have a totally tubular time... watching the boob tube: this new Spiegel Catalogue TV!

[Catalogue TV cue + description]

And finally, if you've gotta Audi 5000 to your gig, you can cruise down the road in a ride that'll never die: it's your new Ford Pinto!

[Ford Pinto cue + description]

And this far out showcase, in which we ask: 'can you dig it?' can be yours if The Price is Right!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:06:38 PM by DarkShockBro »
Stop the madness.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:57:49 PM »
I'm in, love the idea of going year by year in the HYOs! Also, I really need to make it out of Contestant's Row at some point.

As for a Showcase...

This Showcase contains prizes that have a certain snap to them! And it starts with you snapping some pictures with this new camera! The Kodak pocket Instamatic 110 (rest of description)…

Next, you'll be snapping your fingers to the beat of the music for hours listening your new 8-track player! (prize description)

Finally, we're sure you'll find this last prize to be, well, snappy... your new Trans Am! The 1972 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am second generation (rest of description)

And this Showcase can yours in a snap, and if the Price is Right!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »
This showcase is all about things that are fast. I mean, really fast. First, this supply of floppy disks! From Memorex, these floppy disks can store all your documents, instead of the Cloud. They're outdated, but who cares!

*applause*

Next, you can use these floppy disks in conjunction with this new personal computer! From Kenbak Corporation, this Kenbak-1 computer has 256 bytes of memory.

*applause*

While you're waiting for that two hour movie to download...

"Read War and Peace 84 times."

Shut up, you! Anyway, don't do that because that isn't a long enough time anyway. But you can take a ride...

...in your new CAR!!! This is the *blazing fast* Volkswagen Super Beetle [rest of description]

And with this showcase you will blaze a path to victory, but only if, The Price is Right!

*steps out of time machine*

What's this? Kenbak-1 computer, huh? Must've accidentally taken it with me back to 2019. See, the movie is still downloading! How much progress does it have? Let's see...

PROGRESS: 0.000001%
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 07:04:19 PM »
Just a head's up. 123's show has ended and sign-ups are still open!

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »
Count me in please.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »
I'd love to play.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 09:30:47 PM »
*1972 showcase cue*

This showcase contains unforgettable prizes that you will remember for decades to come! And we begin with a ten-year supply of cigarettes!

From Winston, the cigarette with the smoky, rich flavor, comes this supply of cigarettes. More doctors and dentists smoke Winston than any other brand of cigarette, and preferred cool mildness has convinced millions of smokers everywhere. Winston tastes good like a cigarette should!

And, 100 shares of Enco gasoline! An investment that's sure to pay off. Remember, oil has never been more stable.

Plus, a trip to fabulous Rhodesia! You and a guest will fly on the luxurious Pan-Am airlines to the African Savannah of Rhodesia. You'll enjoy the wildlife and feel safe and secure in this British Colony as you explore the ultimate tourist destination!

And you'll come home to drive in your... Renault Le Car!

This state-of-the-art vehicle is known as the "French Rabbit" and is designed with a forward-thinking look and uses inexpensive parts to become the ultimate economy vehicle!

And this showcase containing luxurious, unforgettable prizes that are built to last, can be yours if the Price is Right!

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 09:34:26 PM »
I'd love to join the show

1972...huh what a year.

We'll you definitely don't want to be a square, so stay around and in the know how with these 4 phone landline set, daddy-o!!

{plug}

Now, it's one thing to twist and shout around town, but you've got another thing coming on your trip to the USSR!!!

{plug}

Finally, while you're there, you'll realize that is no place like the USA. Then we will reward you with a Pontiac Firdbird!!!

{plug}

Now if any of these make sense to you 47 years from now, this is your showcase, but only if the Price is Right!!!

I might have messed up my decades a bit.  :-)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 11:48:20 PM »
I'm in!

Your showcase features prizes reflecting the unchangable celebrities of the present!

Although he likes to joke around, earlier this year, the legendary comedian Bill Cosby won a Grammy award for warning children about the serious dangers of psychedelic drugs. Now, you can listen to his best works with this innovative turntable!

The Technics SL-1200 is a magnetic, direct-drive turntable, which features high torque, and wow and flutter staying at 1/100th of 1% of the intended speed! Also included are five studio albums featuring the riot of today, Bill Cosby!

Next, we look upon the life of Bruce Lee. As a 32-year-old, he certainly has a lifetime ahead of him. This year, we saw an exciting preformance this year in
The Chinese Connection, where he shined after last year's Fists of Fury. You won't have to avenge any deaths, however, on your trip to beautiful Shanghai!

You and a guest will fly roundtrip coach to the at the Hung Chiao Airport. Don't worry about communism; but take it in with a grain of SALT. You will spend six nights at the Anti-Imperialism Building Shanghai Mansions Hotel, where you can take in the joys of China. We'll also throw in a couple thousand yuan while we are at it!

Finally, talking about modern legends wouldn't be complete without mentioning our current president, Richard Nixon. You may have heard from his Checkers speech about his car, but now you can own your very own... Oldsmobile!

It's the 1972 Oldsmobile Nighty-Eight 4-door hardtop. Comes with standarad equipment, dual ashtrays, power breaks with front disks, electric clock, spare tire cover, and Turbo-Hydramic transmission. It's the Oldsmobile 98!

And this showcase, featuring legends who certainly will be remembered as live, active members of society in 47 years, can be yours, but only if The Price is Right!

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1972 - IUFB #1)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »
It's showtime!  :-D Good luck to everybody!

*1972 intro*

George Gray: A fortune in fabulous prizes may go to these people today if they know when The Price is Right!

tpir04, stand up!

DarkShockBro, stand up!

TPIRfan#9821, stand up!

JayC, stand up!

And all four of you, COME ON DOWN! You're the first contestants on
The New Price is Right!

*1972 Main Theme*

And now, here is the star of The New Price is Right, PatrickRox80!

*stands behind door number two as it opens, then jogs out on stage, accepts mic from Anitra and bows*

Me: Welcome! Yes, you heard right! I am back in the saddle! I want to thank the staff here for giving me the opportunity to do this once more and of course all you contestants down here for making this possible. Now, it's my turn. This is the first of what will be a series of snapshots of The Price is Right through the years. What better way to start than with 1972?

Of course, we can't do this without giving away some prizes. Let's start with an item up for bids. George, what do you have for us?

George: A home theater and soundbars!

From Bose, the finest in state of the art entertainment, experience the thrills of a theater in your own home. This 5.1-channel speaker system delivers the ultimate sound performance with its wireless compact subwoofers. Both soundbars come with a universal remote so controlling everything is no problem. Also features a built-in Alexa system, just ask her to play anything you want through Spotify or Bluetooth and Alexa will get right to work.

Me: A couple of spiels to get through before we start the bidding. I will present that to the contestant who comes nearest to the actual retail price without going over. I advise you to bid in dollars because we round all our prices to the nearest dollar. Also, this may be the episode based on 1972, but I will still offer $500 to the contestant who gets it right on the nose.

tpir04, you have the honor of bidding first. What's your bid?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 08:35:19 PM »
Great to be here, Patrick. I'll bid $1000, even.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 08:40:31 PM »
tpir04 bids one thousand dollars...

*ding*

I'll turn to DarkShockBro who will make the second bid.

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 08:50:44 PM »
My goodness, these podiums are gorgeous.  :-)

$1,555.
Stop the madness.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
My goodness, these podiums are gorgeous.  :-)

That's the beauty of MSPaint.  :-D

$1,555 says DarkShockBro.

*ding*

TPIRfan#9821?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:02:31 PM by PatrickRox80 »