Author Topic: Pricing game frequency in the Drew Carey Era  (Read 2952 times)

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
Pricing game frequency in the Drew Carey Era
« on: July 21, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »
Now that the season is over I have to say Side by side,One Wrong Price and pick a number have all seen massive increases in play ever since Drew Carey started hosting. Beginning in the 90s there started to be extended commercial times leading to more time constraints but side by side and pick a number were rarely played during the barker years

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: Pricing game frequency in the Drew Carey Era
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »
In the case of One Wrong Price, part of the blame for its overplaying goes to the retirement of Barker's Markers. Had Barker's Markers not been retired, some playings of One Wrong Price would've been playings of Barker's Markers instead since you'd still have another 3 prize game in the rotation.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »
That’s why I think retiring clearance sale and Buy or sell was a mistake

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 07:46:28 PM »
That’s why I think retiring clearance sale and Buy or sell was a mistake

Arguably the two games were so similar as to practically be the same game (or put another way, Clearance Sale was a much harder version of Buy or Sell). I don't miss Clearance Sale, but I still miss Buy or Sell. It was fun and I liked that the objective was specifically to make money by being a smart shopper, and moreover it was one of the few mathematically-based games I could follow as a kid. The fact that it seemed to disappear not long after More or Less came along--I'm not a fan of More or Less--doesn't help.

/Nostalgia for the game aside, the rise in games like One Wrong Price and Side by Side is an unavoidable consequence of the increase in commercial time, leaving less time for oldschool fun on the show. Play a game that requires more than the bare minimum amount of time, and you spend the rest of the show playing quickies.

As moneygamelover points out, without Barker's Markers/Make Your Mask there's one less go-to game to...well, go to when we run short on time. The obvious answer is make more quickie games...but I'd rather we get commercial time back, which would give us more flexibility and game time. Highly unlikely, I know, but I live in hope.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:48:38 PM by ThomHuge »

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 08:39:13 PM »
I don't mind More or Less, but I definitely liked Buy or Sell better. Infinitely prefer both of them over Clearance Sale.

I don't mind Side by Side being a frequent game. With it's awesome ice cube set and cool light up reveal, I much prefer Side by Side over the similar Coming or Going.

With a Pick a Number, bear in mind that in addition to being a quickie, it's also a convenient substitute game if other games are malfunctioning. Not a Pick a Number fan, especially with that ugly set, but it is what it what is.

Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 09:58:12 PM »
Pick-a-Number is definitely being treated differently in the Drew era. Under Bob, it was rarely played. 5-10 playings a season. Under Drew, it spiked to 20, 25, even up to 30ish playings. Now it makes the rotation same as any other one-prize quickie, while earlier it was barely there.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:46:12 PM »
Pick a Number has been used as a car game in some halves of shows too the last few years since its playings got bumped up significantly. With the increased commercial time I guess they decided they needed to add another 1 prize quicky that could be played as the car game in a half from time to time along with Squeeze Play, Push Over, and Balance Game. 

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 11:34:31 PM »
It seems to me like they play Flip Flop three days a week.