Author Topic: What single game would you like to see make a return?  (Read 21866 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: What single game would you like to see make a return?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
My honest opinion? Double Digits. It was a good game that made clever use of pricing. The colors weren't good, but that can be changed.

Also I would be open to...
     -Phone Home Game, but with just one person.  The idea of two people doesn't work with the standard one-person format that's usually used. Think of it as Pick-a-Pair for cash.
     -Superball! because I love Skee-ball, and the set was cool as well.

And yes, I'd love to see Car Pong as well.

No, seriously. :P
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 10:33:16 PM »

Also I would be open to...
     -Phone Home Game, but with just one person.  The idea of two people doesn't work with the standard one-person format that's usually used. Think of it as Pick-a-Pair for cash.

What purpose, then, would the phone serve in this format if there'd be no one to talk to on the other end? 

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 10:35:25 PM »
Maybe one of the models.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »
Phone Home Game or something like it could be interesting to play via Skype. Maybe they'd have a celebrity play with the contestant so the on-stage contestant gets the full prize instead of splitting it with a random person.

Bring back Give or Keep but instead of using small products play it with grocery items.  They could be displayed on a table like other games or use the old Joker game "carousel."
I could see a game using Give or Keep's rules played with groceries rather than small prizes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:06:44 PM by JayC »

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 11:08:46 PM »
Bullseye '72, of course.  :-D ...With the $500 range. I'm not heartless.  :P You could re-name it Dialed In, or something like that.  :-)

...Oh, and how was the original Time is Money / It's Time to Stop worse than the current iteration? I honestly can't imagine that being possible. :P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:11:31 PM by DarkShockBro »
Stop the madness.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 11:16:43 PM »
...Oh, and how was the original Time is Money / It's Time to Stop worse than the current iteration? I honestly can't imagine that being possible. :P

Even though I personally like the newer version more, I did like the original UNTIL they changed the rules and made the name completely pointless. :-)

I think that Penny Ante would be the one game I would have brought back, on the condition the original set is used/remade. It would be perfect time wise, and it's a good test of pricing knowledge. Mystery Price would be another good choice to me, with a few gameplay changes (make the prize package similar to Safe Crackers with the smaller prize being the mystery prize, go from 4 small prizes to 3).

On a bit of a tangent, I think that Gold Rush from the TPIR/LMAD mashup week would be a great quick car game. IMO, if they just had reveals for where the digits went as they were picked, it would already be better than Gridlock.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »
To Darkshockbro...

The premiere...

and its finale...

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 11:19:34 PM »
Maybe they'd have a celebrity play with the contestant so the on-stage contestant gets the full prize instead of splitting it with a random person.

PLEASE spare us any further celebrity tie-ins to the regular daytime show. A "random person" might not be famous, but they're what I tuned into the show to see--ordinary people like me participating.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 01:17:17 AM »
Maybe one of the models.

So somebody who works for the show is going to be directly responsible for how much money the contestant can potentially win? S&P issues aside (and I’m sure there’s a mountain), that’s a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Even in the 80’s Phone Home Game was a very “out there” idea. It worked, against all odds, but the novelty value is missing in an era where anybody can easily interact with the show on social media or win stuff on the website.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 02:35:24 AM »
Forget I said anything. Maybe it could be redesigned for Skype users?
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 02:54:16 AM »
^I mean, we had The Home Phone Plinko on the Superfan show, so it technically is a possibility, but unless the game is a once-per-season game, I'm almost sure that there would be some type of technical difficulty.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »

What purpose, then, would the phone serve in this format if there'd be no one to talk to on the other end?

It doesn't have to be called Phone Home Game. The game could simply be renamed, as in Make your Mark.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
Give or Keep could be interesting if it had 6 prizes in the $900-$1500 range

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Give Or Keep again.

2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »
I could see a game using Give or Keep's rules played with groceries rather than small prizes.

So could anyone with access to YouTube.  It's called "Hurdles." :P
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.