Author Topic: What single game would you like to see make a return?  (Read 21761 times)

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
What single game would you like to see make a return?
« on: July 22, 2019, 01:21:24 AM »
We saw the return of "Time is Money" several years back, and whether you fully like the game or not, I think most agree that it's an improved version of the first incarnation.

For me, I would like to see Super Ball return for season 48.  I always thought it was a sort of a variant of Master Key that involved some physical skill to pull it off successfully.  It was probably retired because of the skill needed, but Hole in One (or Two) is still going and it requires physical coordination.

What retired game would you like to see make a return to TPIR?
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What single game would you like to see make a return?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 01:39:21 AM »
For me, I would like to see Super Ball return for season 48... It was probably retired because of the skill needed
I thought it was retired because of how much airtime it ate up when it was played.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 02:21:39 AM »
I know, at least based on some comments I've seen before, that I'm probably in the minority, but my vote goes to Step Up. To me, it was a good test of pricing and had the right amount of risk involved given it's maximum possible payouts. I know it was not won, or played, very often, but I always enjoyed seeing it make an appearance. The set also looked pretty cool to me, with the steps, the colors, the lights, and the money ladder display.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 03:01:58 AM »
I’d like Hurdles and Give or Keep. The latter would’ve been brought back in Season 38 had Dob not been fired.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 03:53:07 AM »
I'm an advocate for Penny Ante, but reborn as a SP game instead of a GP game. That way, we can get an SP quickie, a gap a game like Vend-o-Price was meant to fill.

Other than that, I kind of want Buy or Sell or Make Your Mark back, so we have another quicker 3P/4P game we can add into the mix.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »
Bump would probably get my vote; nice and quick, no real changes other than cosmetics or possibly sound effects needed, and if handled properly, Drew could have some fun with the actual bus bumping. 

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »
Bump gets my vote. Perhaps update it to use bumper cars instead of busses?

Honorable Mentions:
SuperBall!!! (as a casher)
Penny Ante (digital readout circles instead of flaps, same old sound effect)
Hurdles (William Tell’s and all)
Split Decision (touch screens that are wiped after each attempt)
Barkers Markers/Make Your Mark (three prizes, fourth amount on board replaces the $500 in cash)

All games with great concepts!

Offline superballfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:18:10 PM »
Poker Game. Definitely works with four digit prizes. Add a cash bonus for five of a kind win.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 01:59:14 PM »
Honorable mentions: Penny Ante, Give or Keep, $uper Saver, Hurdles, Add Em Up, Barker's Marker's, Split Decision and Bump.

My vote however, easily goes to Buy or Sell. Perhaps no game in the history of the Price is Right was more Price is Right than Buy or Sell. What could be a better test of smart shopping/pricing skill than buying low and selling high. And that big bank was super cool. 

I'd retire that bore fest know as Double Prices and bring any of the games I listed back in its place. But Buy or Sell gets my vote for this question.

Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »
Car Pong.

No, seriously.

I love Super Ball but I can’t see it working today with today’s time limits. Car Pong captures the spirit of Super Ball but it’s more accessible, easier to bounce back after a miss, and a reasonable length. Although I’d be very surprised if Mashup Week ever happened again now that Mike’s gone.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 08:44:21 PM »
Buy or Sell wins it for me. 

Honorable Mentions:
Bump
Super Saver
Poker Game  (I agree with Superball but if you win the game you get a cash bonus, not just for 5 of a kind)
Penny Ante
Super Ball (I would like this to come back but it's a time sucker.  Not likely to return.).

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »
I would love to see Super Ball again as well, the prize reveal was exciting and it was a fun game to watch. If they could just do something to shorten its time enough.

Walk of Fame might be fun to see played again too, although Rat Race uses what was its pricing portion now.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »
I would vote to bring back Give or Keep, but I think they’d have to reveal the small prizes in a different way due to time constraints.  (Granted, a lot of those are no longer sponsored, so maybe that wouldn’t matter as much, but still...)

Online pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 09:02:16 AM »
Poker Game. Definitely works with four digit prizes. Add a cash bonus for five of a kind win.

Even a mix of 3- and 4-digit prizes would also work. The original was basically "six card stud", and of course everyone's heard of Seven Card Stud, and it could easily be stretched out to eight. Yes, there would be "hand inflation", meaning more four and five of a kind's, but that would help the charm of the strategy, for example having a full house would be a tougher decision to stay compared to the actual game. Just use a video monitor instead of that old board, which I agree was too tacky by the end of its run.

With regards to Super Ball!, I would just make it a casher to save time. Have the hole values increase to $100, $500, and $5000 for the WIN, with a maximum of $30,000 possible. Alternatively, I would make it a timed game like Car Pong and have the SPs add five seconds for each roll (with five seconds given for free), followed by the Super Ball! portion of the game, which is just played like normal, but perhaps for a bigger prize like a car.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:06:45 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
Bring back Give or Keep but instead of using small products play it with grocery items.  They could be displayed on a table like other games or use the old Joker game "carousel."