Author Topic: Forgot Password email  (Read 20449 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Forgot Password email
« on: July 30, 2019, 03:57:27 PM »
I received an email saying the Forgot Password function was applied to my account, but I did not do anything myself. Is this just an error, is it just that I was required to change my password, or is it because someone tried to log in to my account? As a precaution I did change my password.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Forgot Password email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »
I got one too. No idea why.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 12:04:22 AM »
I didn't get one.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 02:35:01 PM »
I did as well. 

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 02:53:10 PM »
Access to the boards for guests has been temporarily revoked.  To access any feature of the forums beyond the login screen, a user must register or log in.

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 03:10:34 PM »
Access to the boards for guests has been temporarily revoked.  To access any feature of the forums beyond the login screen, a user must register or log in.
Why?

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
Never mind. I just got one an hour ago.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
I received another password reset email a little bit earlier today.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
For what its worth, I've banned a lot of spambot accounts lately... not sure if it's related.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:20:55 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »
Another thing: It mentions an IP address in the range of 68.X.X.X, which does not match any of my common locations. If it's not an G-R server address, it's probably the IP where the "clicks" are coming from (though it's wouldn't surprise me if it's coming from more than one computer).
________

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
Another thing: It mentions an IP address in the range of 68.X.X.X, which does not match any of my common locations. If it's not an G-R server address, it's probably the IP where the "clicks" are coming from (though it's wouldn't surprise me if it's coming from more than one computer).

There are sites out there that can localize an IP address; I'd be rather curious to see what result you got if you ran the IP in question through one of them.

/Related: I got a security alert from one of my accounts last week that someone was trying to get into it with the password-reset function; it was from a country on the other side of the world that I've never even heard of, and because it's not where I log in from every day, it locked the account immediately until I did some things on my phone, and the bad guys never got in...but it's a good reminder that the bad guys are always trying to do bad things, and all it takes for them to do it is one mistake from us.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 01:53:21 AM »
The registration restriction was enacted to test for a few possible security vulnerabilities.

I have no reason at the moment to believe any accounts, passwords, or data was compromised, and will be lifting the restriction shortly. 

The 2.1 release of our forum software has hit release candidate 2 and I'm considering their timeframe for release of the final version and the stability of the release candidate to potentially upgrade.  2.0.x is several years old at this point, although security patches have continued to be put out. If my involvement with the site IS being being stepped up (moved to address the security certificate issue today but hit a paywall issue I don't have the credentials to move past), may also look at other forum software options.