Author Topic: Price Video Description?  (Read 478 times)

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
Price Video Description?
« on: August 06, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
I've noticed that now more and more primetime shows are starting to have what they call Descriptive Video Service (DVS). That's when there's a voice describing what's happening in the picture, similar to closed-captioning, except it's for the blind. All the primetime ABC game shows have it, as well as a lot of other primetime shows on other networks. Do you think this could eventually come to TPIR? I can. It would be like this:

"And now, here's your host, Drew Carey! (Spectacled Drew Carey walks out of sliding doors, Blonde-haired Rachel hands him a tall, thin cordless microphone.)"

Offline PayingTheRent

Re: Price Video Description?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:35:36 PM »
If the demand is there, then possibly.  It will largely depend on how well the primetime audience is responding to it and whether or not itís worth paying a team of folks to commentate over shows for a relatively select group of viewers.  Itís a really great service to offer, but itís also costly and probably irreversible once a network decides to do it for a given program, unless they want to face almost certain backlash ó something that can be avoided by not offering the service to begin with.

(Spectacled Drew Carey walks out of sliding doors, Blonde-haired Rachel hands him a tall, thin cordless microphone.)

I immediately read this in a British accent for whatever reason. 🧐
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrickís Place
Re: Price Video Description?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:47:51 PM »
Do you think this could eventually come to TPIR?

I think 'Price' is one of the shows where it's absolutely least necessary. From what the host says to introduce a game or prize to what the announcer says to describe them, I would think few people would have trouble keeping up.

I'd feel sorry for anyone who'd be ordered to read things like "spectacled Drew Carey" being handed "a tall, thin cordless microphone." Who, for example, would care if the microphone is corded or cordless?
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place