Author Topic: Pricing Games by President  (Read 36343 times)

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
Pricing Games by President
« on: August 10, 2019, 01:27:15 PM »
Here's the total of pricing games that debuted under each President:

Donald Trump - 1
Barack Obama - 6
George W. Bush - 13
Bill Clinton - 17
George H.W. Bush - 9
Ronald Reagan - 16
Jimmy Carter - 16 (In spite of just one 4-year term)
Gerald Ford - 13 (In spite of only being in office 29 months)
Richard Nixon - 19 (In spite of the fact that he was only in office 23 months from the time the show debuted)

Seems like there's a drought when it comes to new pricing game creation.  Only 7 new games since January 2009. 

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Pricing Games by President
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
Seems like there's a drought when it comes to new pricing game creation.  Only 7 new games since January 2009.

Thanks, Obama.

/sarcasm if it wasn't obvious

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »
Though I feel like this thread might be steer towards both political discussion (not sure about what this site's policy is when it comes to this discussion) and/or bringing up the debate over the current regime. I have to say its just fascinating to see this list of how many games debuted when whoever was President was in office.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 01:55:34 PM »
Quote from: SamJ93 link=topic=303
[quote author=jude_este link=topic=30333.msg470343#msg470343 date=1565459221
Though I feel like this thread might be steer towards both political discussion (not sure about what this site's policy is when it comes to this discussion) and/or bringing up the debate over the current regime. I have to say its just fascinating to see this list of how many games debuted when whoever was President was in office.

I agree!

Sad to see the lack of new games since Obama has been in office.  I'm sure the number would be a bit higher if Bob hosted longer.

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »
Yes it seems since the "new" regime took over, there's been a lack of new pricing games.

Granted, the show has been going on for nearly half a century now, nevertheless, with new fertile minds should come more new possible pricing games.

77 is indeed I believe a record high as far as number of games in the rotation.  Nevertheless, it would be nice to see 2 to 3 new ones added every season.  Some retired games should not have been retired either in my honest opinion, but it is what it is.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »

Correlation is not causation. In this discussion, that means that just because more or fewer pricing games premiered under various administrations, the reason for that is not because the show was favoring or disfavoring particular presidents. If people keep that in mind, this can be a good thread on a stat that TPiR geeks might care about.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
Very interesting thread, I always find breakdowns like this to be fascinating. Of course the numbers are higher for the 70s and 80s presidents since those were the show's first two decades which means more and more games needing to be made and new games replacing the retired games from those decades that didn't last long for one reason or another.

Yes it seems since the "new" regime took over, there's been a lack of new pricing games.

Granted, the show has been going on for nearly half a century now, nevertheless, with new fertile minds should come more new possible pricing games.

77 is indeed I believe a record high as far as number of games in the rotation.  Nevertheless, it would be nice to see 2 to 3 new ones added every season.  Some retired games should not have been retired either in my honest opinion, but it is what it is.
Keep in mind that the new regime has also updated the sets of several games as well as bringing back games that had been retired or went a while without being played (Card Game, Bargain Game) and reinvented a game retired in the Bob/Roger era (Time is Money). They've likely seen it more important and easier to update existing games for HD/the 21st century than creating new games.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »
I think it’s also that in the earlier days, there were just less games available for the rotation so that kind of necessitated that more games be created than now.  There’s such a variety of games now that I’m not sure new ones need to be created as frequently as in the past.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 02:09:50 AM »
Keep in mind that the new regime has also updated the sets of several games as well as bringing back games that had been retired or went a while without being played (Card Game, Bargain Game) and reinvented a game retired in the Bob/Roger era (Time is Money). They've likely seen it more important and easier to update existing games for HD/the 21st century than creating new games.

If one were so inclined to make another ‘by president’ list, or even by decade, I’d like to see one for pricing game set overhauls.  I would imagine those have been far more numerous this past decade than any other, but it’d be neat to see the actual numbers.  Obviously there were several updates made during the mid-late 80s just to accommodate 5-digit car prices, so that era may have seen a big uptick, as well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:58:35 AM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »
If one were so inclined to make a another ‘by president’ list, or even by decade, I’d like to see one for pricing game set overhauls.  I would imagine those have been far more numerous this past decade than any other, but it’d be neat to see the actual numbers.  Obviously there were several updates made during the mid-late 80s just to accommodate 5-digit car prices, so that era may have seen a big uptick, as well.

I'd actually like to see one by retired games, just to get a picture of how many have been retired over various periods.

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 11:45:47 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive...

Nixon (4): Bullseye I, Double Bullseye, Double Digits, Mystery Price

Ford (0):  (This surprised me)

Carter (4): Professor Price, Finish Line, Shower Game, Telephone Game (not to be mistaken for The Phone Home Game)

Reagan (7): Hurdles, It's Optional, Trader Bob, Walk Of Fame, Balance Game I, On The Nose, Add 'Em Up

Bush 41 (4): Give Or Keep, The Phone Home Game, Bump, Gallery Game

Clinton (4): Super Ball, Super Saver, Split Decision, Fortune Hunter

Bush 43 (9): Poker Game, Penny Ante, Hit Me, Credit Card, Buy Or Sell, Joker, Barker's Markers, Clearance Sale, On The Spot

Obama (1); Step Up

Trump (0)

Four different Presidents had 4 games each retired during their Presidency.  Bush 43 with 9 retired somewhat surprised me since those were more recent years (2001-2009).  7 under Reagan didn't surprise me as much since he too was in office for eight years.

As an added bonus, as I am a novice history nerd when it comes to the U.S. Presidents....Clinton, Bush 43 and Obama were only the second group of three consecutive Presidents whose terms all lasted exactly 8 years.  The only other time that ever happened was from 1801 - 1825 with Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 03:40:29 PM »
Four different Presidents had 4 games each retired during their Presidency.  Bush 43 with 9 retired somewhat surprised me since those were more recent years (2001-2009).  7 under Reagan didn't surprise me as much since he too was in office for eight years.
Not that surprising since they purged a few games after Drew began (Poker Game and Joker) and then the new regime starting in season 37 got rid of a few more (Credit Card, Buy or Sell, Clearance Sale, Barker's Markers/Make Your Mark, plus Barker's Bargain Bar was removed and later remade into Bargain Game, 3 Strikes spent extended time not being played after going through rule changes, and Card Game and Check Game both spent extended time removed while being remodeled).

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 05:35:09 PM »
Perhaps a more fun list would be pricing games introduced based upon which party had control of the House at the time.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 06:42:22 PM »
If one were so inclined to make another ‘by president’ list, or even by decade, I’d like to see one for pricing game set overhauls.  I would imagine those have been far more numerous this past decade than any other, but it’d be neat to see the actual numbers.  Obviously there were several updates made during the mid-late 80s just to accommodate 5-digit car prices, so that era may have seen a big uptick, as well.

Ask and ye shall receive:

For the purposes of this list, a "set overhaul" only counted if it was a significant set change that required something to be designed and built--something more than a paint job.

The trend actually tapered off at the end of the Barker era. After the show went to HD, more money was spent remodeling old games rather than introducing new ones.

The median number of "games introduced + remodeled" in a calendar year is 3. The mean is 3.14. Since 1985, every year is about in line with what you'd expect 2010, which had Most Expensive, Temptation, and Ten Chances fully remodeled, Plinko and Gas Money touched up with monitors, and Rat Race introduced.

I'd actually like to see one by retired games, just to get a picture of how many have been retired over various periods.

Aside from a bit of spring cleaning around when Drew took over, the rotation of games on the show has been remarkably stable for the past 10 years.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
Superb job on those graphs!!!!