Author Topic: Monty Hall Made Car Games on LMAD Too Hard!  (Read 4779 times)

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
Monty Hall Made Car Games on LMAD Too Hard!
« on: August 20, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
Guys,

I LOVED the Monty Hall version of Let's Make a Deal!  The prizes, the games, the Zonks.  It was one of my favorite games shows just like Price is Right.  My complaint was that if you look at the 1970's version,  (Most of the nighttime version survives Daytime version was erased in most cases.) and all of the 1984-1986 All New LMAD what stands out is that the car games were almost impossible to win.

You would often have to guess the final price of say if it was a two-digit priced item within as little as two dollars.  If it was a $100 dollar priced item, Monty would give you no more than a $10 dollar spread.  Even in the famous Cash Register Money game, where all the buttons except for two had dollar amounts, two had "No Sale" buttons,  You could keep hitting keys, stop to take the money at any time, or keep going.  I think I have seen car games won maybe 40% of the time, regardless of what pricing game they played.

The other thing that I did not like was that in the 1984-1986 version, when they tried to give away a car, Brian or Dean would say, "This is the same car that we saw earlier."  That is one of the cardinal sins of game shows.  NEVER mention that I prize has been offered before in the show's description.  It makes the show production look cheap.  Did LMAD have such a limited budget that Monty Hall and his partner Stephen Hatos had to make the car game price ranges so difficult?  The Price is Right was rarely if ever on that level.  Monty's hard final item or deal for the car, is almost the equivalent of Lucy 7's Pricing game's last digit being a "9" all the time.  Any comments on this?

Joe

Online pricefan18

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Monty Hall Made Car Games on LMAD Too Hard!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »
40 percent isn't that bad a win/ratio actually, nearly half. The reusing of cars and saying so is bad form though I agree. Also.....did Lucy Johnson get her own game and I never knew as to Lucy 7? (ducks tomatoes)  :lol:

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:01:56 PM »
40 percent isn't that bad a win/ratio actually, nearly half. The reusing of cars and saying so is bad form though I agree. Also.....did Lucy Johnson get her own game and I never knew as to Lucy 7? (ducks tomatoes)  :lol:

LOL!  Spelling error not recognized.

Joe

Online ooboh

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:13:41 PM »

As a matter of fact, isnít that about the win percentage of cars on Price?

Online gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 03:00:54 AM »
Less, actually. Season 47 is batting 34% on car wins.
Quote from: Mark Goodson
"It's the greatest challenge in the world to invent a new game. For every one you see, every concept that is ultimately refined and developed, a dozen are worked on and not worked on, or almost worked on, or dropped because they don't read any more. We test and hammer and test and hammer...

When you finally get it down so that it looks very very simple, that one has had the most complicated amount of work."

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 04:19:22 AM »
I would love to see stats on the current iteration of LMaD. I bet most car games are won much less than 40% of the time, and there's nothing the contestant can do about it--it's complete and total luck.

Offline pannoni1

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 08:26:57 AM »
The same applies to certain cash games, including one that inspired Grand Game. There was also the game "Match The Prices", not too unlike It's In The Bag, but with five SPs, and one playing I came across recently had one item $28.95 and another $29.95, which truly makes it a crapshoot at that level. As it is, I feel that they were reasonable enough to provide occasional winners, and of course, bailouts are central to the show as well, since higher bailout offers usually leads to more people walking away and missing out on the big prize.

People often forget about the daytime budget found on the '60s-'70s run (even less than the current CBS run); many daytime shows didn't even offer a car, and if it did, it usually was a minicompact: those Chevy Vegas, Ford Pintos, etc, and some "Big Deal" doors were only worth a couple hundred bucks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:31:09 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Online pricefan18

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
The same applies to certain cash games, including one that inspired Grand Game. There was also the game "Match The Prices", not too unlike It's In The Bag, but with five SPs, and one playing I came across recently had one item $28.95 and another $29.95, which truly makes it a crapshoot at that level. As it is, I feel that they were reasonable enough to provide occasional winners, and of course, bailouts are central to the show as well, since higher bailout offers usually leads to more people walking away and missing out on the big prize.

People often forget about the daytime budget found on the '60s-'70s run (even less than the current CBS run); many daytime shows didn't even offer a car, and if it did, it usually was a minicompact: those Chevy Vegas, Ford Pintos, etc, and some "Big Deal" doors were only worth a couple hundred bucks.

Would that have been scandal residue still at that time? Or not as much? I know Jeopardy for example back then had a much scaled down budget compared to today in part because of that, as did many other shows of that era. Would be curious to know if LMAD had the same fate at that point in time.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »
On the current LMAD: there's a sign when the car up for grabs is impossible to win.  When they play the dice game No Duplicates 1-6, or Moving on Up the Dice Version.  That is a sign the producers want to save the cars.

Offline pannoni1

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
On the current LMAD: there's a sign when the car up for grabs is impossible to win.  When they play the dice game No Duplicates 1-6, or Moving on Up the Dice Version.  That is a sign the producers want to save the cars.

You're not kidding with No Duplicates as there's just a 1.54% chance of winning. This is in contrast with a more reasonable 16.7% on the card version of Moving On Up, with the dice version at 9.3%. Still, the long odds are sweetened by usually a good curtain/box offer with relatively few Zonks.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Online ooboh

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 03:29:12 PM »
You're not kidding with No Duplicates as there's just a 1.54% chance of winning. This is in contrast with a more reasonable 16.7% on the card version of Moving On Up, with the dice version at 9.3%. Still, the long odds are sweetened by usually a good curtain/box offer with relatively few Zonks.

Iíve also never seen the game in which contestants try as many keys as possible won.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 01:28:02 AM »
Iíve also never seen the game in which contestants try as many keys as possible won.

Wait, Tiffany's Great Key Escape?  I have seen people win that game, although the odds haven't been great.  One person this season won $19,990 in cash playing that game.  There were at least 1 or 2 wins with that game that involved a car in it.

I also forgot Tic Tac Deal Version 2.0 dice version, plus Winfall.  Both very difficult.