Author Topic: Hollywood Squares-Tom Bergeron  (Read 16796 times)

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
Hollywood Squares-Tom Bergeron
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
'Hollywood Squares" has been one of my favorite game shows ever since Tom Bergeron's version. The show was my first exposure to him & Whoopi Goldberg at 3 years old. I watched as much of the 6 year run as I could. During the run, GSN showed episodes of Peter Marshall's version. I saw the episodes and enjoyed them, but they didn't draw me in like Tom's version did. What did you think of Tom's run? If the show came back, do you think Tom should return, even though he doesn't consider himself a game show host?

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Hollywood Squares-Tom Bergeron
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »
Of course. He returned for the atrocious Ludia game in 2011.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 12:57:03 AM »
I'd love to see a new version of Squares on TV. If it were to come back in primetime, Tom Bergeron most likely could not host. I believe the show is owned by CBS-Viacom (they remerged) and would probably air on CBS. Tom can't host a show in primetime on another network while he's still doing DWTS for ABC. But if it's syndicated, he could totally return. If he wanted to, that is.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 02:08:23 AM »
Tom was a wonderful host for H2, but I doubt he’d be particularly interested in returning.

I think he sees Hollywood Squares as just another stepping stone on his hosting career. He’s long been at the point in his career where he can pick and choose what projects he wants to work on, and he’s gone on record many times about his love for live TV and how DWTS is a dream job for him.

I’d expect his future projects to be in the “live TV” realm as well. I think he’d see Squares as a step back; not everybody wants to be a career game show host.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »
The way Game Shows has been they probably would choose an  Actor or Comedian to host the show.

We already have Hip Hop Squares and Nashville Squares i don't know if they would make a 3rd version.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
Even if neither of those low-profile offshoots existed, there might well be no current efforts (in any active, meaningful way) to revive it, at least not in the crowded syndication market.

Remember, CBS committed its owned-and-operated stations to air the show in good time slots. Without that kind of partnership, you’re at best going to get sub-par guests, and that’s perhaps being generous. Think Match Game 98.

Might someone at a major network kick the tires on a prime time version? Eh, sure. Match Game has chugged along for ABC. But not to the level that copycats are terribly likely. And if a network did actually want it, the two offshoots won’t matter at all. Daytime isn’t happening; no one has that need in the foreseeable future.