Author Topic: GSN at 25: A reflection on the channel's classic years  (Read 39843 times)

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: GSN at 25: A reflection on the channel's classic years
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 01:39:23 AM »
GSN was the best when I first got it. Even the so-called "Dark Period" wasn't so bad. But once the turn of the millenium hit, I started feeling disappointed in them.

First, there were the throwing out of the parting gifts. Then the credit crunchers happened, and then speed-ups happened. The name change in 2004 was a major disappointment, and the credit crunchers ramped up even harder like never before, by cutting the ending. Still, I kept watching. But during the 2010's, GSN acquired a property in Harvey Feud, and the rerun abuse expanded like never before, to the point where you might as well rename it "Steve Harvey Network" (SHN).

Other major lows from GSN:

Not showing the 1984 episodes of New $25,000 Pyramid, in addition to the ends and beginnings of 1983 and 1985 respectively as well as April-October 1987. When I read two years ago that GSN would be jumping to May 1985, that was the final straw for me.

Not showing the final three months of Press Your Luck (June-September 1986).

Pulling the Syndicated run of Sale of the Century so abruptly before finishing up the lease.

Giving shows a "film look", destroying the smooth and fluid look that videotaped shows are supposed to have. If you've seen the Season 7 DVD of All in the Family from Shout! Factory (before the issue was fixed on their complete series set), the BCI DVD of Password, and the Decades reruns of Laugh In, you'll know what I mean.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:48:55 AM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 02:08:24 AM »
Other major lows from GSN:

Not showing the 1984 episodes of New $25,000 Pyramid, in addition to the ends and beginnings of 1983 and 1985 respectively as well as April-October 1987. When I read two years ago that GSN would be jumping to May 1985, that was the final straw for me.

Not showing the final three months of Press Your Luck (June-September 1986).

Pulling the Syndicated run of Sale of the Century so abruptly before finishing up the lease.
The horror! Such horrible tragedies! How will we ever cope?!

SMMFH.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 02:15:39 AM »
The horror! Such horrible tragedies! How will we ever cope?!

SMMFH.

An individual by the name of Gregory Pearsoll says he heard rumors about '84 $25K Pyramid being damaged beyond repair and unconvertible. He also says it's possible the same thing happened to Summer '86 PYL. That's who led me to believe that something may have happened to those episodes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:24:00 AM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 03:00:22 AM »
My point being, what if I told you those things I heard from Gregory's mouth were what made believe them?

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
My point being, what if I told you those things I heard from Gregory's mouth were what made believe them?

I would say not to believe everything random individuals named Gregory Pearsoll tells you. The internet is full of people who claim to be experts on things without any actual basis for such claims.