Author Topic: November 15, 1972 (with a puppy)  (Read 33602 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
November 15, 1972 (with a puppy)
« on: August 24, 2019, 05:04:57 PM »
Audio not that great... and neither is the camera work at all. But enjoy :)

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: November 15, 1972 (with a puppy)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 12:02:45 AM »
Audio not that great... and neither is the camera work at all.
CBS technicians were on strike between November 3, 1972, and early January 1973. Managers and secretaries operated the cameras and other technical equipment during those eight weeks.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
Surprised this one got by Bob Barker when they awarded dogs as prizes.

Brian

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 12:35:33 AM »
Surprised this one got by Bob Barker when they awarded dogs as prizes.

It didn't "get by" him.  Bob didn't become interested in animal rights until 1979, and this episode is from 1972.

As a matter of fact, the very first item up for bids on the very first show back in 1972 was a fur coat.

And this wasn't the only time live animals were offered as prizes.  There was a 1974 show where an actual real live pony was the item up for bids.

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »
It didn't "get by" him.  Bob didn't become interested in animal rights until 1979, and this episode is from 1972.

As a matter of fact, the very first item up for bids on the very first show back in 1972 was a fur coat.

And this wasn't the only time live animals were offered as prizes.  There was a 1974 show where an actual real live pony was the item up for bids.

I guess my point was, the episode that's linked has a "Game Show Network" bug in the lower left-hand corner, and while this episode didn't have a fur coat in it, it did offer an animal, which I thought Bob was opposed to ... even if that didn't happen until years after this episode originally aired.

I thought the idea behind Barker excluding certain episodes from rebroadcast was that the shows had to have nothing to do with animals whatsoever ... meaning, fur coats, leather and live animals as prizes, to make it appear as though he had always been an animal rights supporter (even though that wasn't always the case) and that newer-day fans would become confused that he at one time had no problem offering fur coats, luxury cars with leather interiors, etc., as prizes.

I sure hope that someday we can enjoy these episodes again and that the ban will be allowed to expire or relaxed. (Same with other episodes that are supposedly on Barker's "ban list.")  When or if that happens is up for speculation.

Brian

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 10:28:25 AM »
I thought the idea behind Barker excluding certain episodes from rebroadcast was that the shows had to have nothing to do with animals whatsoever ... meaning, fur coats, leather and live animals as prizes, to make it appear as though he had always been an animal rights supporter (even though that wasn't always the case) and that newer-day fans would become confused that he at one time had no problem offering fur coats, luxury cars with leather interiors, etc., as prizes.

What is ironic is that, right up until Bob's last season, they continued to offer cars with seats featuring "quality natural coverings." While I am guessing you could easily buy a Corvette or Porsche 911 with cloth or vinyl seats around the time of the fur ban (Brian, as a car buff, you would likely know this better than me), this would have been virtually unheard of by 2007. (Someone mentioned here that Bob always had to custom order his Lincolns without leather seats.)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »
What is ironic is that, right up until Bob's last season, they continued to offer cars with seats featuring "quality natural coverings." While I am guessing you could easily buy a Corvette or Porsche 911 with cloth or vinyl seats around the time of the fur ban (Brian, as a car buff, you would likely know this better than me), this would have been virtually unheard of by 2007. (Someone mentioned here that Bob always had to custom order his Lincolns without leather seats.)

I can't speak for all years, but I do know that at least in the early years of the 1984-generation Chevrolet Corvette cloth seats were standard and two types of leather (a "standard" leather and a "sport" leather) were optional.

There are places you can check, but without looking, I do think that Cadillac did offer cloth as a deduct option/no-cost substitution for customers who did not want the standard leather upholstery.

Anyhow, that's my two cents worth.

Also an addendum to my comment about no animals whatsoever: This, of course, excluded the plugs for the Los Angeles County Animal Shelter and the puppies/kittens shown during those IFUB segments.

Brian

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 08:44:45 PM »
A pony for a prize...I didn't even know about that one. :)
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."