Author Topic: TPIR Premiere Week Instagram Contest  (Read 34422 times)

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
TPIR Premiere Week Instagram Contest
« on: August 27, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
...that they will surprise 1 winner each day of season 48 premiere week with a special bonus prize.  To see the details follow @therealpriceisright on Instagram.

Changed thread title to be less clickbaity. Going forward, any threads with these kinds of titles will be locked on sight.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 06:58:09 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: TPIR said on their official Instagram feed...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 05:43:53 PM »
SPOILER: These will include a Tesla, a trip for 10 to the Bahamas, and for the first time ever in TPIR's history, said winner will have all their bills (gasoline, utilities, rent, etc.) paid for a full year. /SPOILER.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:31:49 PM »
said winner will have all their bills (gasoline, utilities, rent, etc.) paid for a full year.
...so, cash.

How can they even enforce that? Bills fluctuate. I bet they just go off the national average, and that sounds better than saying $X.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 10:22:54 PM »
Spoiler

Gotta be a cash lump sum, the “groceries for a year” is actually like a $2,400 cash prize dressed up. Pretty much anyone “could” conceivably use that money to buy groceries for a year if they wanted.

The one that really interests me is “rent for a year”—that could reasonably be almost anything depending on which part of the country.  National average is like $1,000 a month, so $12K? Three years rent in Tennessee or three months rent in San Fran? Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a great prize to win if that’s the case—it’s just not exactly what they’re advertising.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 12:14:07 AM »
Would the (SPOILER) rent for a year prize be truly what they say it is, or would the winner receive a pre-determined amount of money regardless of (SPOILER) where they live?  (SPOILER) Rent in Manhattan is significantly higher than (SPOILER) pretty much anywhere else in the United States.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:16:46 AM by COINBOYNYC »
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 12:21:11 AM »
OK, is there a reason we're talking in spoilers about a contest?

Offline Cephas

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 12:28:47 AM »
Also, the "for a year" prizes seem to have changed since this topic started - now it's his or her cell phone bill and car payment in addition to rent. So it's no longer "all" their bills, and the car payment is also highly variable. What happens if the contestant owns their car outright (or doesn't own a car at all)?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 12:32:39 AM »
^To Blozier, because the title is in the clickbaity form which doesn't properly warn people that there is a spoiler. Frankly, the could have just announced anything on their Instagram, and there was simply no way to know that this is information for next season without a properly-noted title.

In fact, "the contest" isn't even the interesting thing on their Instagram feed. It's the prizes offered. In fact, the press release implies that the "special bonus" will go to a person in-studio, which probably will just work like the PCH days. Had I just check the Instagram solely based on the title, I would have assumed that the inflated prizes, and not had any assumption that this was going to be a win at home scenario.

That being said, I truly hope that if that prize is won, it isn't the predetermined amount of money, like what they do for Diapers for a year.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »
That being said, I truly hope that if that prize is won, it isn't the predetermined amount of money, like what they do for Diapers for a year.

Maybe, as alluded to above, they would pay out on a sliding scale based on a contestant's local cost of living, but they won't literally be doing what is implied by the promotion.  I'm certain that the prize department is not going to spend 12 months reviewing a bunch of household bills, submitting each one to Accounts Payable and then cutting and mailing individual checks for every expense.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »
I would think the amount will be based on an average and there will be an amount they use as a limit (like up to $2,500 for example).

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »
Maybe, as alluded to above, they would pay out on a sliding scale based on a contestant's local cost of living, but they won't literally be doing what is implied by the promotion.  I'm certain that the prize department is not going to spend 12 months reviewing a bunch of household bills, submitting each one to Accounts Payable and then cutting and mailing individual checks for every expense.

Although it wouldn't be that hard to simply ask the winner to send them one bill and then just give them that amount times 12?  Since things like rent, car payments don't generally change that often (maybe once a year, maybe not even that often - phone bills possibly more variable but even those now have more options for a fixed monthly rate than they used to when it went by minutes or distance of calls).

Somewhat different than, say, groceries for a year where you might spend a different amount each time you go to a store (and for some that can be more than once a week and possibly more than one store).

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 05:53:19 PM »
I just bumped into an ad on Instagram; Keystone Light beer was running a contest and one advertised prize was “free rent for a year”. I was curious from this thread how they’d handle it, so I read their rules—the prize is a flat $12,000.

$12,000 is not a bad prize any way you slice it, whether it technically qualifies as “rent for a year” or not.

Although it wouldn't be that hard to simply ask the winner to send them one bill and then just give them that amount times 12?

It’s a cool thought, but I think that opens up too many opportunities the winner to try to fudge it. “Oh, I have multiple residences.” “I actually just paid off my mortgage.” “I visit my cousin in New York City for a month every year and I stay here as their roommate, yes the bill is not in my name but I help pay the rent, trust me.”

CBS is giving away a prize, not negotiating a contract—I’m sure their legal team want to keep things as simple and legally ironclad as possible.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."