Author Topic: Supermarket Sweep to return?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• We're going to miss you, Neil.
Re: Supermarket Sweep to return?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 03:23:36 PM »

Amazed CBS isn’t on this. Get with the times guys, keep languishing behind with network prime time shows. I say that as more than just a fan, the time slots are open.

We had a pretty long discussion about this offsite, CBS daytime is completely full and they have a ton of CBS sitcoms and dramas. For a summer series, it would work in primetime. However, it seems like CBS is happy with reruns of sitcoms, even bad ones.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:25:41 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41 - Season 43, Season 46 - Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.

CSS Season 14 Cash: $729,601
CSS Season 15 Cash: $888,251 - All time CSS high for myself in 8 years.

Online gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
Honest question--what would they have to modernize? Besides the Round 1 set and maybe the payouts, I can't think of much. It's still got to look like a supermarket, after all, and supermarkets don't look that different compared to the 90's.

The appeal of Supermarket Sweep was never in big money payouts--the appeal was running through a supermarket throwing anything and everything into a cart in a mad dash. Spruce up the Round 1 set, give the Big Sweep winner a guaranteed prize for winning the game, bump up the bonus round payouts to $50K or so, and it's ready to go. I'd be happy if they were able to take advantage of an hour-long timeslot and get another minisweep or two, an extended Big Sweep round of 4:30ish or so, and a bonus round that lasts longer than 60 seconds. (Or just do two games in an hour. Either way I'm happy.)

The television landscape has changed. I'm afraid that there will be too much fluff, instead of focusing directly on the game.

It's not much of a "game" though--Supermarket Sweep is an inherently silly concept. The game itself is pretty fluffy. Supermarket Sweep is way more "show" than "game". Nobody remembers it for its "game" parts--although they're semi-interesting in it of themselves and treated seriously, they're mostly just a device to get us to the next supermarket run.

Fremantle isn't Endamol, I can't see them trying to make it deathly serious faux-dramatic affair for One Million Dollars. You don't pull the trigger on a reviving show like Supermarket Sweep unless you have a pretty good idea of what you're getting.
Quote from: Mark Goodson
"It's the greatest challenge in the world to invent a new game. For every one you see, every concept that is ultimately refined and developed, a dozen are worked on and not worked on, or almost worked on, or dropped because they don't read any more. We test and hammer and test and hammer...

When you finally get it down so that it looks very very simple, that one has had the most complicated amount of work."

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
Fremantle isn't Endamol, I can't see them trying to make it deathly serious faux-dramatic affair for One Million Dollars.
You obviously haven't seen the 2019 reboot of Press Your Luck, have you?

Online Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »
It’s really not nearly as bad as you are implying.  Does Press Your Luck need a solo game at the end?  Of course not.  But the concept is not terrible, and honestly, I like seeing the special prizes that obviously mean something to the contestant be put in play.

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »
And I am so freaking auditioning.

When the time comes. Break a leg so to speak and go get ‘em.

I think I’m hindsight saying it didn’t matter what came before was not the best phrasing. I completely  agree the original format as the basis matters. You can add and subtract from that core to build something suitable for 2019 (or whatever year it makes it to air).

CBS is in an interesting place. Big Brother chews up a lot of summer hours, and it looks like they were satisfied with the performance of Love Island. That’s got most of the real estate booked for original programs. As they’ve begun to show some softness in the sitcom area, the repeats may or may not open up a slot somewhere. They’re still cost effective, even if the return begins to diminish a bit.

ABC at first glance seems pretty flush with what they have, and no obvious sore thumbs sticking out on the two traditional game nights. But if they’re looking for whatever reason, they’ve got the track record and seem a natural fit.

I get the NBC interest in Leslie, and The Wall is just kind of “there” on the schedule. Paired with or as a replacement, this has intriguing potential.

Netflix...well, given their enormous appetite for trying genres, I could see it there, too.

Offline rick420buzz

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 06:43:39 PM »
I just thought of an idea for a "spin-off" of Supermarket Sweep, as long as it's on in December. Do a version where kids play and call it Toy Store Sweep.

You just KNOW that you wanted to enter that Nickelodeon/Toys 'R' Us Toy Run contest. I did, and I was already way too old.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 05:18:51 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing this on NBC paired with a Fremantle-produced revival of Concentration. That shows hasn't been around for almost 30 years, it is quite overdue.

I think we're well beyond the point of prejudging people slated to host game shows. Most of the current crop have been pleasant surprises for me so I'm more than willing to give Leslie a chance.

I have, and the bonus round has actually grown on me. Aside from the first episode it has not been too much of an overdramatic weep-fest. It's nice to see people playing for prizes that they really want and it also goes to show that a million dollars is not the end all and be all of being happy on a game show. A dream concert, dream car and some decent cash is quite enough to make most contestants walk out very content and that's good enough for me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:24:03 AM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »
When the time comes. Break a leg so to speak and go get ‘em.

I think I’m hindsight saying it didn’t matter what came before was not the best phrasing. I completely  agree the original format as the basis matters. You can add and subtract from that core to build something suitable for 2019 (or whatever year it makes it to air).

CBS is in an interesting place. Big Brother chews up a lot of summer hours, and it looks like they were satisfied with the performance of Love Island. That’s got most of the real estate booked for original programs. As they’ve begun to show some softness in the sitcom area, the repeats may or may not open up a slot somewhere. They’re still cost effective, even if the return begins to diminish a bit.

ABC at first glance seems pretty flush with what they have, and no obvious sore thumbs sticking out on the two traditional game nights. But if they’re looking for whatever reason, they’ve got the track record and seem a natural fit.

I get the NBC interest in Leslie, and The Wall is just kind of “there” on the schedule. Paired with or as a replacement, this has intriguing potential.

Netflix...well, given their enormous appetite for trying genres, I could see it there, too.
My thinking is that if NBC does get the rights to this new Supermarket Sweep, they might have it air on sister cable channel CNBC as it had good success recently with a revived Deal or No Deal. It would not hurt, but it would be nice if CNBC struck gold twice with revived game shows.
Jay Williams

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »
It’s really not nearly as bad as you are implying.  Does Press Your Luck need a solo game at the end?  Of course not.  But the concept is not terrible, and honestly, I like seeing the special prizes that obviously mean something to the contestant be put in play.
I have to agree with you and blozier2006, a bonus solo round on Press Your Luck 2019 was just 100 percent unnecessary.
Jay Williams

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Double Prices is the BEST game.
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »
Maybe so, but I'm pretty sure it's customary nowadays to have a bonus round, even if it's just tacked on to the main game.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019; Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769

Why is it that the best threads come and go in the middle of the night while I'm asleep?