Author Topic: The price is right board game  (Read 58841 times)

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
Re: The price is right board game
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »
Before anyone gets too excited, let me point out--jaywilliams sent an unsolicited idea to Endless Games almost two months ago, to which he's received no reply. Endless probably wouldn't respond to that for the same reason Fremantle wouldn't. If I were the legal department at a firm like them, I'd almost certainly delete jaywilliams' e-mail without reading it--it would create too many potential legal issues with intellectual capital and ownership.

More than that--just because there isn't a TPiR board game on store shelves, it doesn't mean that there's been a lack of ideas about launching one. What it means is that Endless (or whoever else may have the rights to the TPiR home game) doesn't feel that there's enough demand out in the market for one.

All that is to say, don't get your hopes up. Jaywilliams sent a proposal that Endless didn't ask for, may not be interested in, and (according to him) hasn't even acknowledged. More than likely that's all that's going to happen with this.
ThomHuge and Steve Gavazzi,
    Let me clarify that I was just making a suggestion to Endless after I read about them reviving Password board game, but I HAVE NOT heard anything back from them and I also HAVE NOT sent any proposal drafts to Endless Games as of yet and I am being truthful here. However, I have been working on a draft for one so if you can PLEASE give me some support here, I will greatly appreciate it and no more negativity PLEASE. Besides, I have never created a board game in my entire life and who knows, maybe Travis Schario, who did the 2004 TPIR game for Endless, might have read about EG bringing back the Password box game and may or may not be updating the 2004 TPIR game for Endless for next year, I don't know. But I would like to show my TPIR 2020 board game proposal draft to Travis Schario so any email info for him would be helpful here. So positive support again is highly and strongly recommended ThomHuge and Steve.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:22:24 PM by jaywilliams »
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 05:19:34 PM »
ThomHuge and Steve Gavazzi

Did he make a post here that I'm not seeing?

Let me clarify that I HAVE NOT sent any proposal drafts to Endless Games as of yet and I am being truthful here but I have working on a draft for one so if you can PLEASE give me some support here, I will greatly appreciate it and no more negativity PLEASE.

I beg your pardon? How is it negative to point out:
1)  The probable reason there's no board game available right now is because no one thinks there's enough demand in the market for it?
2)  You sent an e-mail to people who have every business and legal reason not to be interested in your draft proposal, no matter what it may or may not be?
3)  TPiR and Password are two very different properties, and there may be practical (in addition to economic and legal) reasons why one came back and the other didn't?

That's simply the reality of the situation. I'm sorry if you can't handle that.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »
Did he make a post here that I'm not seeing?

I beg your pardon? How is it negative to point out:
1)  The probable reason there's no board game available right now is because no one thinks there's enough demand in the market for it?
2)  You sent an e-mail to people who have every business and legal reason not to be interested in your draft proposal, no matter what it may or may not be?
3)  TPiR and Password are two very different properties, and there may be practical (in addition to economic and legal) reasons why one came back and the other didn't?

That's simply the reality of the situation. I'm sorry if you can't handle that.
ThomHuge and Steve,
    Let me point out that the 2004 Price Is Right board game that Travis Schario created for Endless Games sold extremely well and we are WAY BEYOND due here for a new TPIR game and there SHOULD HAVE been a TPIR board game for show's 40th Anniversary back in 2012 but neither Endless Games or any other game manufacturer went forward with that.
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 06:06:09 PM »
ThomHuge and Steve

Again--is he posting and I'm just not seeing it?

Let me point out that the 2004 Price Is Right board game that Travis Schario created for Endless Games sold extremely well and we are WAY BEYOND due here for a new TPIR game and there SHOULD HAVE been a TPIR board game for show's 40th Anniversary back in 2012 but neither Endless Games or any other game manufacturer went forward with that.

Obviously the fact that no one went forward with one should tell you that either manufacturers didn't agree with you, or else there were practical (and legal) considerations that stood in the way.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 06:06:22 PM »
jaywilliams:

Excuse the boldness, but quite a few users have tried to correct you on this.

However, I have been working on a draft for one so if you can PLEASE give me some support here, I will greatly appreciate it and no more negativity PLEASE. Besides, I have never created a board game in my entire life and who knows, maybe Travis Schario, who did the 2004 TPIR game for Endless, might have read about EG bringing back the Password box game and may or may not be updating the 2004 TPIR game for Endless for next year, I don't know. But I would like to show my TPIR 2020 board game proposal draft to Travis Schario so any email info for him would be helpful here. So positive support again is highly and strongly recommended ThomHuge and Steve.

You ever see that Scorsese movie The King of Comedy? Where Robert De Niro has a fantasy that he's going to become a world-famous comedian, and he meets a TV host once who says to give his secretary a call if he's serious about it and they'll put him through the vetting process if he's good enough.

So then De Niro walks into the lobby of a TV network and contacts the guy's secretary expecting to get booked on a late-night talk show as a stand-up comedian despite having no experience, no tape recording of his material, no vetting, never done stand-up at a club, nothing. They tell him to come back when he has those things. They're not being mean to him. They're being quite reasonable. But Robert de Niro's character isn't willing to listen.

So Robert De Niro keeps coming back and sitting in the lobby of the studio until security asks him to leave. He storms back in demanding to speak with the host and security throws him out again. The next day he finds out where the host lives, barges into the host's house and begs to have the host help him work on his material. The host threatens to have him arrested and throws him out of the house.

It doesn't matter how much you desperately want something. It also doesn't matter how good you feel your ideas are unless you have a working relationship with people who are in a position to do something about it.

Jaywilliams, you don't work for Fremantle. You have no real contacts with Fremantle. You have no real contacts with the board game industry besides somebody you emailed once and never responded. That sounds to me like it was a polite dismissal.

What's more, you have a loose grasp of the facts. You're spreading stories that have already been debunked and insisting they're facts.

You're stirring up something that has--frankly--almost no chance at succeeding. We're going to be honest with you. We know you really, really, really want a new board game. But an unsolicited draft is going to go exactly nowhere.

We're not telling you this because we hate your idea and we want it to fail. We're telling you this because you don't seem to understand that's not the way things work, and it's dishonest to imply to the rest of us that it has a real chance of happening. We're speaking plainly with you because anything more subtle doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:13:49 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »
jaywilliams:

Excuse the boldness, but quite a few users have tried to correct you on this.

You ever see that Scorsese movie The King of Comedy? Where Robert De Niro has a fantasy that he's going to become a world-famous comedian, and he meets a TV host once who says to give his secretary a call if he's serious about it and they'll put him through the vetting process if he's good enough.

So then De Niro walks into the lobby of a TV network and contacts the guy's secretary expecting to get booked on a late-night talk show as a stand-up comedian despite having no experience, no tape recording of his material, no vetting, never done stand-up at a club, nothing. They tell him to come back when he has those things. They're not being mean to him. They're being quite reasonable. But Robert de Niro's character isn't willing to listen.

So Robert De Niro keeps coming back and sitting in the lobby of the studio until security asks him to leave. He storms back in demanding to speak with the host and security throws him out again. The next day he finds out where the host lives, barges into the host's house and begs to have the host help him work on his material. The host threatens to have him arrested and throws him out of the house.

It doesn't matter how much you desperately want something. It also doesn't matter how good you feel your ideas are unless you have a working relationship with people who are in a position to do something about it.

Jaywilliams, you don't work for Fremantle. You have no real contacts with Fremantle. You have no real contacts with the board game industry besides somebody you emailed once and never responded. That sounds to me like it was a polite dismissal.

What's more, you have a loose grasp of the facts. You're spreading stories that have already been debunked and insisting they're facts.

You're stirring up something that has--frankly--almost no chance at succeeding. We're going to be honest with you. We know you really, really, really want a new board game. But an unsolicited draft is going to go exactly nowhere.

We're not telling you this because we hate your idea and we want it to fail. We're telling you this because you don't seem to understand that's not the way things work, and it's dishonest to imply to the rest of us that it has a real chance of happening. We're speaking plainly with you because anything more subtle doesn't seem to work.
So, you are telling me game surf, that you are siding with ThomHuge and Steve Gavazzi and that I am fighting a losing battle on this here. You do not get it, after I read an online interview with Endless Games that they are bringing back the Password board game this summer, I personally know there MAY be POTENTIAL for a new TPIR box game for next year and who knows, maybe Travis Schario is thinking the same thing I am, I don't know, you can ask him(aka Uncle Plinko). Please, I am tired and sick of the negativeness on this.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:31:59 PM by jaywilliams »
Jay Williams

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »
So, you are telling me game surf, that you are siding with ThomHuge and Steve Gavazzi and that I am fighting a losing battle on this here. You do not get it, after Endless Games brought back the Password board game this summer, there may be potential for a new TPIR box game, this is after I read an online article of an Endless Games interview of them doing a new Password game a couple of months ago.

Would that be this interview? https://toybuzz.org/endless-games-interview/

It's the only thing that comes up when I google "endless games password interview". If this is not the interview you are talking about, could you link it, please?

Password is brand new this year. When we did Password originally we had 12 different versions and then we retired it. With game shows, you don’t want to keep the same game on the counter for too long because it gets stale. What we do is that we run them and then retire them. Then we wait a few years, be patient, and clean them up before  bringing them back new. Password is in its new retro package this year and we are doing fantastic. There are two word games that are important in the toy business- Scrabble and Password.

When they say "we wait a few years before bringing back game shows", that's a general practice, they aren't talking about specific licenses. It's not really new information, either. Nothing in this interview states that there's definitely, specifically, a new Price is Right game in the works. I think you are hearing what you want to hear.

And neither does that mean they're looking for pitches from people outside of the industry. Even if they are working on a game--which is totally unconfirmed at the moment--why would they be interested in a fan's idea when they have professionals in the board game industry who can do it for them?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:31:37 PM by gamesurf »
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 06:48:33 PM »
Would that be this interview? https://toybuzz.org/endless-games-interview/

It's the only thing that comes up when I google "endless games password interview". If this is not the interview you are talking about, could you link it, please?

When they say "we wait a few years before bringing back game shows", that's a general practice, they aren't talking about specific licenses. It's not really new information, either. Nothing in this interview states that there's definitely, specifically, a new Price is Right game in the works. I think you are hearing what you want to hear.

And neither does that mean they're looking for pitches from people outside of the industry. Even if they are working on a game--which is totally unconfirmed at the moment--why would they be interested in a fan's idea when they have professionals in the board game industry who can do it for them?
No game surf, the thought of a new Price Is Right board game for next year had came to me after I read that interview on doing the new Password board game AND we have not had a TPIR home game of any kind in almost a decade and I even emailed them that suggestion back in July and have since heard nothing so I don't know if Endless is considering it for 2020 and/or whether Travis Schario (aka uncle plinko) is thinking this same thing or has even been approached by Endless on this, once again I don't know. Remember, everyone has a right to their two cents and when I read about this blog about a Price Is Right board game, that was started by Plinkowin2010, I had to state my opinions on it and I am entitled to do that. Plus everyone is entitled to pitch his or her own suggestions and ideas to others.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:56:07 PM by jaywilliams »
Jay Williams

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 06:51:20 PM »
The issue isn't you're being hopeful for a new game.

The issue is taking that slim information and framing it as "there is potential for a new game", and implying to a board of TPiR fans that you might be involved with the creation of it.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
No game surf, the thought of a new Price Is Right board game for next year had come to my mind after I read that interview AND we have not had a TPIR home game of any kind in almost a decade...

*sigh* What gamesurf said...there's zero reason to think there's a new game coming anytime soon. ZERO. I think it's less that you're hearing what you want to hear, and more that you're confusing what you want with reality.

...and I even emailed them that suggestion back in July and have since heard nothing so I don't know if Endless is considering it for 2020...

You sending them an unsolicited e-mail means nothing, and they're under no obligation to even respond, much less share their business plans with you.

...and whether Travis Schario (uncle plinko) is thinking this same thing or has even been approached by Endless on this, once again I don't know.

Why is that any of your business? For that matter, why do you keep saying Travis' name?

Remember, everyone has a right to their two cents and when I read about this blog about a Price Is Right board game, that was started by Plinkowin2010, I had to state my opinions on it and I am entitled to do that. Plus everyone is entitled to pitch his or her own suggestions and ideas to others.

Again, as gamesurf pointed out...you sent something to people that haven't even acknowledged your e-mail, and as I pointed out, have every legal reason to pretend they never got it. There is practically ZERO chance anything is going to come from what you sent them. Continuing to insist otherwise isn't you giving your "two cents"--it's you showing a startling disconnect from reality.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 07:06:17 PM »
The issue isn't you're being hopeful for a new game.

The issue is taking that slim information and framing it as "there is potential for a new game", and implying to a board of TPiR fans that you might be involved with the creation of it.
Once again, I read a question from Plinkowin2010 and a comment from a few others, including Teddy and I stated my two cents on it. Plus, as I stated in an earlier blog that the 2004 TPIR game which was created by Travis Schario sold very well so there may be a market for a new TPIR box game in 2020 at Endless after I made that suggestion via email to them, but once more, I don't know since I have not gotten a reply back from them but I would like for them to see my proposal draft which I have been working on for their consideration once I have sent it to them and to Travis Schario, if I can locate his email address since he created the 2004 TPIR game for EG.
Jay Williams

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »
Jay, there is zero evidence that there may be a new PIR board game next year. Zero. Just because you want something to happen doesn't mean it will... and just because you draw up concepts doesn't mean anyone will actually take them. Protip: they typically legally can't, just like the real show cannot accept submissions from fans for pricing games. So if by some stroke of luck that there happens to be a new board game, which there likely won't be, you will have had nothing to do with its creation. Nothing.

Also, just because Travis Schario was involved in creating a board game in 2004 doesn't mean he'd have any hand in creating a new one. Even if he did, and you somehow managed to send him stuff, I can almost guarantee he'd do the exact same thing to it that Endless did: delete it without reading it. They legally cannot accept submissions from outside sources.

TL;DR, it's not happening. Deal with it. You can be hopeful all you want, but anything beyond hope is nothing more than delusion.

Board games are not exactly a booming industry.

I'd actually disagree- there's quite a market for tabletop games, if anything, it's stronger than ever. It's just the kinds of tabletop games that sell the best these days aren't a lot of the "mainstream" ones, and they definitely aren't licensed adaptations of game shows.

There was an unofficial game called BigJon’s Price is Right that was great and had most pricing games—Fremantle found out about it and he got C&D’d some years ago. He’s not legally allowed to distribute it any more.

That game is garbage. I really don't get the obsession with BigJon's bug-laden security nightmares of Flash games... especially with Flash on its way out. Not that Ludia's games are any better!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
*sigh* What gamesurf said...there's zero reason to think there's a new game coming anytime soon. ZERO. I think it's less that you're hearing what you want to hear, and more that you're confusing what you want with reality.

You sending them an unsolicited e-mail means nothing, and they're under no obligation to even respond, much less share their business plans with you.

Why is that any of your business? For that matter, why do you keep saying Travis' name?

Again, as gamesurf pointed out...you sent something to people that haven't even acknowledged your e-mail, and as I pointed out, have every legal reason to pretend they never got it. There is practically ZERO chance anything is going to come from what you sent them. Continuing to insist otherwise isn't you giving your "two cents"--it's you showing a startling disconnect from reality.
ThomHuge, what I blogged to game surf a moment ago I posted my opinion after I read a question on a Price Is Right board game by Plinkowin2010 and a few others and I am entitled to that and this is NOT, I reiterate NOT disconnect from reality, that is hurtful, really hurtful to me as everyone is allowed their own opinions on a topic. I would like to vent this to directors Marc and ClockGameJohn and to Steve Gavazzi as I cannot get any support on this from anyone on this blog and yes, I understand that I have run this DEEP into the ground.
Jay Williams

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2019, 07:22:10 PM »
Jay, there is zero evidence that there may be a new PIR board game next year. Zero. Just because you want something to happen doesn't mean it will... and just because you draw up concepts doesn't mean anyone will actually take them. Protip: they typically legally can't, just like the real show cannot accept submissions from fans for pricing games. So if by some stroke of luck that there happens to be a new board game, which there likely won't be, you will have had nothing to do with its creation. Nothing.

Also, just because Travis Schario was involved in creating a board game in 2004 doesn't mean he'd have any hand in creating a new one. Even if he did, and you somehow managed to send him stuff, I can almost guarantee he'd do the exact same thing to it that Endless did: delete it without reading it. They legally cannot accept submissions from outside sources.

TL;DR, it's not happening. Deal with it. You can be hopeful all you want, but anything beyond hope is nothing more than delusion.

I'd actually disagree- there's quite a market for tabletop games, if anything, it's stronger than ever. It's just the kinds of tabletop games that sell the best these days aren't a lot of the "mainstream" ones, and they definitely aren't licensed adaptations of game shows.

That game is garbage. I really don't get the obsession with BigJon's bug-laden security nightmares of Flash games... especially with Flash on its way out. Not that Ludia's games are any better!
Delusion and reality, I take there is a lot of difference between the two and that of potential and I thought that game manufactures always took outside ideas from customers, who knows.
Jay Williams

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 07:25:21 PM »
I thought that game manufactures always took outside ideas from customers, who knows.

^Watch this. It's practically the same idea, whether it be a movie concept or board game.

Also, Endless Games literally has a "Contact Us" page: https://endlessgames.com/contact-us/. If someone politely asked if there was a Price is Right game in the works, maybe they would respond with a simple no?
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023