Author Topic: Lost Elements of Games You Miss  (Read 4886 times)

Online moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Lost Elements of Games You Miss
« on: September 01, 2019, 05:03:56 PM »
Personally, one bygone element of a game I miss is the blue windows in Bonus Game.

What bygone elements of games do you miss.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • That showcase was HOW MUCH?
Re: Lost Elements of Games You Miss
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
The old clock in Clock Game.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Best in the World
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 07:09:02 PM »
When you actually covered up numbers in Cover Up and not random crap.

When props actually used mechanical parts and displays instead of boring monitors.

When games like Plinko and Let 'em Roll were set up properly so contestants always had the maximum chance of winning (or, in Plinko's case, a chance to actually win the top advertised prize).
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 07:20:42 PM »
When we didn't have to listen to "do you want to say hi to anyone?" six times a day.

Online gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
The big trip skins.

The old Bullseye pull cards.

Seeing members of the production staff on camera occasionally (Roger? When was the last time that happened?)

When a perfect Shell Game playing didnít feel like a loss because the player didnít pick the ball.

The original Gas Money rules.
Quote from: Mark Goodson
"It's the greatest challenge in the world to invent a new game. For every one you see, every concept that is ultimately refined and developed, a dozen are worked on and not worked on, or almost worked on, or dropped because they don't read any more. We test and hammer and test and hammer...

When you finally get it down so that it looks very very simple, that one has had the most complicated amount of work."

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »
When we didn't have to listen to "do you want to say hi to anyone?" six times a day.

Totally agree with this 1!

The more time that's gone by the more I've agreed with CU's  view here about Cover Up. I actually recently watched a few Bob Barker era playings of Cover Up on YouTube and somehow the wrong numbers felt more natural to the game than the pitcures.

I also miss the orange and purple showcase podiums. Maybe that's just a what I grew up with bias, but I long associate purple and orange with the showcases and I miss the purple and orange showcase podiums.

I also miss the models rolling out Hi Lo.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Rod Roddy is not amused.
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 09:09:36 PM »
Let's see, in no particular order:

Bonus Game having blue windows
The classic green Clock Game board
Grand Game's old sign
Check Game's old sign
The Plinko sign
When it was called "Barker's Bargain Bar" instead of "Bargain Game"
Half Off's old colors
Pushover's old colors
3 Strikes' old colors
Card Game's original staging
Hi Lo's original staging
Shell Game having a sensible bonus
Hole in One's behind the hole camera shot
The Golden Road coves and classic rainbow prop
Double Prices not being covered in tacky dollar signs
Most Expensive's gaslight set
When it was just "ladies" and not "oh mighty sound effects lady"
Pay the Rent, Hot Seat, and Gridlock didn't exist
Credit Card, Barker's Markers, and Buy or Sell did exist

Some folks may disagree with some of my selections and that's fine.  Everyone has their own personal tastes.  I actually don't mind the random pictures in Cover Up.  Sure it's goofy but it doesn't change how you actually play the game.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 09:12:09 PM »
The big calculator in Check-Out.

The SuperBall dollar signs on the Big Wheel.

The Ferris wheel set in Pick-a-Pair.

The second chance cards in Punch-a-Bunch.

Offline mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Looking for the next hug winner.
    • Mechamind Boards
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 12:59:19 AM »
Bargain Game is just not the same without a bunch of lights and decorations.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »
The Joker SP pricing element was unique and should be adopted into another game ASAP.
"Drew is the greatest at the show that Drew does...how do we make Bob's show Drew's show?"
~ Mike Richards, Cover Story: The Price is Right, aired June 17, 2018

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »
Check Out felt more real when each guess was manually entered into the giant calculator. 

Online ooboh

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
The eggcrate displays.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
The Joker SP pricing element was unique and should be adopted into another game ASAP.
Coming or Going has pretty much the same pricing element.

Along with some other elements already mentioned I miss the occasional audience entrance for when a game that took up the stage was played first. It was fun seeing Bob walk down the aisle high fiving audience members and it usually meant that Golden Road was going to be played.

Offline ThomHuge

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 02:56:38 PM »
The original Safe Crackers intro, with the game concealed behind the doors. I get that they went to the current intro because of time constraints, but it just lacks pizazz.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 03:39:55 PM »
Sure do miss those eggcrate displays. The calculator on Checkout, among other things.