Author Topic: Rat Race Question  (Read 2901 times)

Online GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
Rat Race Question
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:28:18 PM »
If none of the rats finished, but they at least moved, I imagine prizes would be awarded based on the stopping position of each rat (i.e., if the contestant picked the rat that ended up stopping the closest to the finish line, they win the car), but what if the rats not only don’t finish the race, but none of them even move?

And on a loosely related note, how would the show deal with ties between rats?  This only includes times when even slowing down the footage doesn’t allow for a single winner to be determined.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: Rat Race Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 11:45:45 PM »
For the second question, we recently had a playing where due to the sensor malfunctioning or something of the like, the show couldn't determine whether the rat the contestants chose came in second or third. They allowed the contestants to pick whether they wanted the second or third prize, and the couple decided the third prize, which I believe was diapers and baby food instead of maid service for a year.

If none of the rats even moved, I'd say that would justify a redo, since that either means that the show forgot to wind up the rats, or there was something unusual on the surface of the starting position. We haven't seen what the show would do if three or more rats couldn't finish the race, so I don't think we could answer your first question fairly.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Rat Race Question
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 12:07:23 AM »
According to Scott IIRC, the official Rat Race rules have contingencies if 3+ rats fail to finish. They apparently have different procedures for different "what if" situations, but he vouched for them all being fair to the contestant.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."