Author Topic: How about bringing back some of the older music cues...  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
Re: How about bringing back some of the older music cues...
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
I'm just gonna throw an idea out here:  Has anyone tried actually playing the old cues during a newer show?

'Cause I do it on a regular basis (and yes, I know that's ridiculous, so let's just skip that part of the discussion), and it honestly doesn't sound out of place at all.

Nice!  LOL... That's why you're the Man!
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
I'm just gonna throw an idea out here:  Has anyone tried actually playing the old cues during a newer show?

Yes, I have.

'Cause I do it on a regular basis (and yes, I know that's ridiculous, so let's just skip that part of the discussion), and it honestly doesn't sound out of place at all.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I, however, don't entirely agree.

Out of all the ones available on TVPMM, only a couple of them seem like they'd still work. Most of those are from the 1994 package from the Davidson show (and a bunch of those have the same general flavor as the library music they use as it is);

We'll look back on this as the moment when I stopped taking you seriously.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »

We'll look back on this as the moment when I stopped taking you seriously.

No need to look back... I look at this right now and realize you have zero sense of humor.
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Best in the World
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 09:06:12 PM »
All right, let's not make this personal guys. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Stay on track please!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• Only here to play CSS.
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2019, 01:39:31 AM »

This got me curious, so I overlaid some cues from 1976 over the current ones from a recent episode. I don't think it sounds that out of place either. Here's the video for those wanting to listen.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzIHM3B-h54" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzIHM3B-h54</a>
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline publisher

• In the Audience
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2019, 02:35:48 PM »

This got me curious, so I overlaid some cues from 1976 over the current ones from a recent episode. I don't think it sounds that out of place either. Here's the video for those wanting to listen.

Nice. First one makes me want to go for a dip in the hot tub.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
That was painful to me; completely out of sync with where things are in 2019.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• Remembering when the Zero Rule didn't exist
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2019, 06:42:44 PM »
I'll just chime in. I'd like to remind everyone that this episode happened:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aB1uULj7Gw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aB1uULj7Gw</a>

Overall, I feel like the classic cues worked the majority of the time, but there were times where the cue clashed with the flashy set. I feel that is going to be a problem if we just simply brought back the classic cues. However, I certainly would appreciate newer cues created specifically for the show, but I don't think that's in the realm of possibility.
Reminding you about 1932... when Richard Dawson was born. I will remember $19.32, even after he Checked-Out. Feud will never be the same without you.

HYO total winnings: $110,014 + Canadian dollars yay for over $100k

https://tinyurl.com/9821Legacy

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2019, 08:25:49 PM »
^ That video makes me pine for the classic versions of the main theme and "Walking," with an honorable mention to Dig We Must. All of them seem to work quite well with all the modern accoutrements. And hearing the classic Walking again, I hadn't realized how little of the 2007 remix you can actually hear on the air--about the only thing audible over the audience noise is the drums.

As for the regular cues...some of them work better than others. Bhen and Splendido worked really well where they were, but some of the others felt VERY out of place. Maybe it's just me but adding to the problem is that some of them felt like they were being used in different capacities than they used to be. Also maybe just me, but it felt like they skipped over some of the better ones in favor of the "funkier" ones that literally scream "I'm from the 1980s, listen to me!"...kind of the opposite problem to what we have with the library music today.

Use of the classic cues is something that has to be done right in order to work, just like remixing classic music for the modern day. This is an episode that gets is maybe 50% right--unfortunately nowhere near a passing grade, and rather than nostalgia, what the cues here caused was distraction.

That's one thing they inarguably don't have to worry about with the library music--there's not enough there to be distracted by.

Offline RatGnawedCheez

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »
My two cents - I can see how the mellower cues for things like one-bids and grocery items might be seen as too "quaint" for the current show.    But some of the really energetic cues like Bean Stalker, Big Banana, and MG/HS would still work wonderfully.   They still convey excitement and fun in a way that I don't think the new cues do, plus they fit in really well with the remixed classic themes still in use, and the overall bright and retro-flavored presentation of the show.  I would indeed say these types of cues would add to the show's "audible logo", so to speak.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One dollar, Drew.
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
I thought Match Game/Hollywood Squares was a good cue to add a bit of excitement when a sports car or equally nice prize was offered.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."