Author Topic: How about bringing back some of the older music cues...  (Read 12281 times)

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
How about bringing back some of the older music cues...
« on: September 11, 2019, 11:33:33 PM »
I've been watching some of the episodes from the 70's and 80's on YouTube and really miss the old music cues.  They remixed the Bean Stalker cue several years back and I'm glad they still use it currently (or at least in season 47).  I really think they could use some of the other older ones or remix them and incorporate them into the show now.  Many of the newer ones are so vanilla and not really memorable.  There's just a certain feel that the older cues have that make it feel like The Price is Right.

Any favorites out there you'd like to see used again or remixed for the current show?
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: How about bringing back some of the older music cues...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 11:47:40 PM »
I've been watching some of the episodes from the 70's and 80's on YouTube and really miss the old music cues.  They remixed the Bean Stalker cue several years back and I'm glad they still use it currently (or at least in season 47).  I really think they could use some of the other older ones or remix them and incorporate them into the show now.  Many of the newer ones are so vanilla and not really memorable.  There's just a certain feel that the older cues have that make it feel like The Price is Right.

Any favorites out there you'd like to see used again or remixed for the current show?

I think the reason we hear so much library music now instead of the tasteful cues of yesteryear is because they're cheaper than continuing to pay licensing fees to Score Productions and Killer Tracks, and they fit in with more of the generic-style music you hear on other modern shows. As much as I adore the older cues, I think the modern audience probably wouldn't receive them as well as those of us who grew up hearing them, and I'm not sure they'd fit that well with the show's overall aesthetic.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 11:55:18 PM »
They use a remixed version of the original theme song.  They use a remixed version of Walking for the "come on down" segments.  I think remixed versions of prize cues would fit in just fine. I'm not sure about licensing costs, but I imagine the bland ones they use aren't free.  I feel like using some variation of older cues would mean a lot to us LFATs and could be done tastefully to match the current feel of the show.
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 12:53:33 AM »
Some cues I'd like to see remixed or used again:

Certain cues from the 2003 music package. Those have seen discontinued use over the past 6 or 7 years.
Spring Waltz remix which was once regularly used for the 1st small prize in Plinko
The old Temptation prize cues
1974 & 1976 cues that were once regularly used for furniture or rooms.
"Funk" cue once often used for small prizes in Spelling Bee, Secret X, etc.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:15:01 AM »
They use a remixed version of the original theme song.  They use a remixed version of Walking for the "come on down" segments.  I think remixed versions of prize cues would fit in just fine. I'm not sure about licensing costs, but I imagine the bland ones they use aren't free.  I feel like using some variation of older cues would mean a lot to us LFATs and could be done tastefully to match the current feel of the show.

The main theme and Walking aren't in quite the same category as the prize cues though. And I'm not at all a fan of the remixed versions of the old cues they're using--if anything they sound worse than the originals. I agree using the old cues would mean a lot to us LFaTs, but diehards like us aren't their target audience, so that doesn't mean anything. (I still don't agree that the old prize cues go with the current feel of the show though. What they're using for music now fits with the aesthetic of 2019 television and with the general look and feel.)

As for library music not being free, remember, neither are the old cues, and I'll wager the library music they use now is a lot cheaper than Score's fees were. Remember, there are business concerns behind every creative decision they make. I'm sure they didn't stop using the old music

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 08:48:53 AM »
I have a hard time buying into the notion that licensing the old cues would be too cost prohibitive. 

For one, unless Fremantle produced the current library in-house, there are almost certainly recurring licensing fees going to the rights holder.

Second, the majority of old cues were produced specifically for Price.  They have very little use or value for any other show or production, and for that reason, Price should have the upper hand in any negotiating scenario.  Either the library can remain on the shelf with no money being made at all, or Price can use it for a reasonable rate.  Some money seems better than no money at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

(If nothing else, Fremantle could just straight up purchase the library, if the option to do so is actually feasible.)

Also, I still maintain the old cues would work today, and my argument is only strengthened by the current nostalgia wave, both in television and across society in general.  We have old game shows that have been resurrected, shows like 90210 back on the air — all the way to Pizza Hut bringing back their classic logo!

The show has nothing to lose, either.  No one is going to stop watching because the show plays Splendido during the Showcases.  They might tune in, however, for the nostalgic throwback, and I point to all of the comments on Price’s social media after the throwback episode aired a couple years back as proof that many people — not just us LFATs — want to hear the old cues again.

If fans want it, I don’t see the harm in trying.  If the reaction isn’t as positive as desired, then discontinue use. 🤔
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:29:31 AM »
While licensing fees could be what keeps Fremantle from reintroducing older cues, there is also the cost of having them all remastered from mono to stereo.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »
While licensing fees could be what keeps Fremantle from reintroducing older cues, there is also the cost of having them all remastered from mono to stereo.

They wouldn't necessarily have to do that.  They use the tail end of the 1975 version of The Feud every time the Grand Game is played.  It's not in stereo. 

Speaking of that... how is it that a 44 year old cue can still be used to introduce a game?  Wouldn't that screw up the "feel" of the modern, current show in 2019?

I think not.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 10:04:10 AM »
Speaking of that... how is it that a 44 year old cue can still be used to introduce a game?  Wouldn't that screw up the "feel" of the modern, current show in 2019?

I think not.

Don't be a smartass. A stinger that's heard for five seconds once in a while when they play Grand Game isn't the same as music that's heard every act, and for a lot longer each time at that.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
I suspect the vast majority of the viewers don’t pay much, if any, attention to what music is being played behind the prize descriptions.  Given that, if the current library music is cheaper than the old stuff, that’s probably the primary reason. 

I assure you almost no one knows that the intro to Grand Game is the final 6 measures of the Family Feud theme.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 10:38:31 AM »
Don't be a smartass. A stinger that's heard for five seconds once in a while when they play Grand Game isn't the same as music that's heard every act, and for a lot longer each time at that.

I'm not being a smart ass.  My point is that the producers are going to do what they want, when they want.  We can speculate the reasons why, but if some "big-wig" wants throw-back music cues, I doubt that factors like being in stereo are really going to stop them.  Perfectly good prize music is just sitting on a shelf and it wouldn't hurt the feel of this 47 year old show to throw it in once in a while.

BTW... Have you guys noticed how ABC's Card Sharks is using a remixed version of the 1970's theme song?

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
I'm not being a smart ass.  My point is that the producers are going to do what they want, when they want.  We can speculate the reasons why, but if some "big-wig" wants throw-back music cues, I doubt that factors like being in stereo are really going to stop them.  Perfectly good prize music is just sitting on a shelf and it wouldn't hurt the feel of this 47 year old show to throw it in once in a while.

So...you're complaining that all this is speculative...when you're the one who started the speculation in question. If you're not being a smartass, the list doesn't get any more pleasant from there.

BTW... Have you guys noticed how ABC's Card Sharks is using a remixed version of the 1970's theme song?

Yes. We noticed it the same night that we noticed that ABC's Press Your Luck is using a remixed version of the 1980s theme.

I haven't heard Card Sharks' updated theme, but if it's anything like PYL's, it's an example of a modern remix done right. I have heard Pyramid's, and it sounds pretty good too. Price's main theme and Walking are also examples of modern remixes done right.

The remixed prize cues are examples of modern remixes done wrong. (VERY wrong in my opinion.) Say what you will about the library music...it sounds very cheap, and very bland, but it isn't grating like the remixes were/are. If it came down to a choice between more modern remixes done wrong, or library music that I can tolerate, it's not a hard choice.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:03:08 AM by ThomHuge »

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »
So...you're complaining that all this is speculative...when you're the one who started the speculation in question. If you're not being a smartass, the list doesn't get any more pleasant from there.

I'm not complaining... This thread was started because I thought it would be nice if they brought back retro music cues in some form.  People are speculating why they haven't, which is fine, and part of the natural progression of the discussion.

Yes. We noticed it the same night that we noticed that ABC's Press Your Luck is using a remixed version of the 1980s theme.

I haven't hard Card Sharks' updated theme, but if it's anything like PYL's, it's an example of a modern remix done right. I have heard Pyramid's, and it sounds pretty good too. Price's main theme and Walking are also examples of modern remixes done right.

The remixed prize cues are examples of modern remixes done wrong. (VERY wrong in my opinion.) Say what you will about the library music...it sounds very cheap, and very bland, but it isn't grating like the remixes were/are. If it came down to a choice between more modern remixes done wrong, or library music that I can tolerate, it's not a hard choice.

I agree 100% with what you said. 

Those are modern remixes done right. Some (if not all) of Price's cue remixes are chopped up and edited poorly.  I just think it would be nice to hear some throw-back cues (either original, or remixed well) from time to time. And again, that was the point of the thread.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »
I'm not complaining... This thread was started because I thought it would be nice if they brought back retro music cues in some form.  People are speculating why they haven't, which is fine, and part of the natural progression of the discussion.

This thread was started because someone thought it would be a good idea for a TPiR board game to come out. We see the trainwreck that turned into. I for one would appreciate if these "it would be nice if" threads took a break for a while, especially on things that have virtually no chance of happening.

I just think it would be nice to hear some throw-back cues (either original, or remixed well) from time to time. And again, that was the point of the thread.

Very well. You told us what you felt. The point of this thread has been achieved. We've explained the likely business reasons why they're doing what they're doing. I don't particularly see a point to debating or speculating about something that's extremely unlikely to happen, especially after the board game thread.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 11:30:04 AM »
Good God, not another thread that I see a lock coming on. We've got to be setting a record for these lately.

Look, they update the cues to be fresh. Once in awhile, you might hear a classic cue (usually on a show where classic themes are revisited) but that'd be it.

It's just like every long-running show that once in awhile updates its music cues. Radio shows, such as "American Top 40" and "American Country Countdown" (first two that come to my mind) did it. "Wheel Of Fortune" has done it many times ... and the list goes on.

It's just their way of keeping things fresh. That's the best way I can put it.

Brian

Edit to add: As far as the "it would be nice if ... " threads, yes I agree: I second ThomHuge and think it would be nice if they take a break for awhile. The discussions are nice once in awhile -- and yes, I've probably commented on them too -- but it seems several of these threads have been started by members who have virtually no understanding about how marketing, sales, etc., work ... and the more you try to help them understand that an idea is not viable or otherwise won't happen, or break the concepts down into terms they can understand it's ... well, counterproductive (i.e., said posters get flustered, perhaps upset and dig in and really become adamant that their idea will work and that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread).

Sorry, had to vent a little.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:38:42 AM by Briguy »