Author Topic: Channel with various Dennis James videos (including TPIR)  (Read 4028 times)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• In Contestant's Row
Channel with various Dennis James videos (including TPIR)
« on: September 18, 2019, 10:38:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1dfE5cMBDgrFtbPHcNZlVQ/videos  my hunch tells me this is that this might be a family tribute account (latest 3 videos as of this post are TPIR eps from his version of the show)

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Channel with various Dennis James videos (including TPIR)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:43:08 PM »
my hunch tells me this is that this might be a family tribute account

I'm pretty certain it is.
Everybody got to deviate from the norm.....

Offline Chelsea

• Emeritus Producer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 11:52:36 PM »
Just offering confirmation that the channel *is* being operated by the James family.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »
Several of these episodes we've seen before posted on YouTube.

That said, given the rarity of James'-era episodes of TPiR anywhere ... I'm taking them! :)

Thank you, James family, for sharing.

Brian

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 04:09:18 PM »

That said, given the rarity of James'-era episodes of TPiR anywhere ... I'm taking them! :)

Brian

I second that  :lock:

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »

Brian

What ones would be new? I can't really tell for sure.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 05:13:46 PM »
What ones would be new? I can't really tell for sure.
So far, none of the TPIR material is new. But other things, like an OC Tattletales episode from 1975, and various commercials Dennis produced, appear to be fresh.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 01:34:31 AM »
So far, none of the TPIR material is new. But other things, like an OC Tattletales episode from 1975, and various commercials Dennis produced, appear to be fresh.

The Tattletales thing was nice to see. Some of the other stuff I thought was duplicated but not all to your point from looking. I thought for a minute this was possibly a case of someone uploading others' content and passing it off as their own, but wouldn't seem to be the case here as I look deeper. I wonder how much of the Price series we'll see.....it'd be awesome to have most if not all of it from his period in one place eventually.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 07:55:49 AM »
Dennis James had a home videotape recorder that he used to record some of his shows off the air from Los Angeles stations. I suspect at least the Nighttime Price Is Right and Tattletales episodes originated from those recordings. Given the timeframe (early to mid-1970s) in question, the machines were likely half-inch open reel or 3/4-inch U-matic formats. I heard somewhere along the way that many of the tapes in Dennis’ library were kept by the family, but digitizing material from the obsolete formats is a challenge, particularly anything that exists on half-inch open reel.

http://www.radicalsoftware.org/volume2nr2/pdf/VOLUME2NR2_art03.pdf

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 04:54:58 PM »
Dennis James had a home videotape recorder that he used to record some of his shows off the air from Los Angeles stations. I suspect at least the Nighttime Price Is Right and Tattletales episodes originated from those recordings. Given the timeframe (early to mid-1970s) in question, the machines were likely half-inch open reel or 3/4-inch U-matic formats. I heard somewhere along the way that many of the tapes in Dennis’ library were kept by the family, but digitizing material from the obsolete formats is a challenge, particularly anything that exists on half-inch open reel.

http://www.radicalsoftware.org/volume2nr2/pdf/VOLUME2NR2_art03.pdf

They commented that they got a lot of stuff from the 70's on up, so I assume they have a fair bit from that period on at least, but can see how the digitizing would be an issue. How did the other stuff get released otherwise I wonder since it was duplicated here? Privately released?