Author Topic: Another automobile pricing game idea  (Read 3003 times)

Offline wdm1219

• Walking the Golden Road
Another automobile pricing game idea
« on: May 05, 2007, 09:32:08 PM »
“LAST BUT NOT LEAST”

This pricing game’s staging would be very similar to that of “LUCKY $EVEN”.  A car is driven onto the stage.  The game board is concealed behind the big doors just like Lucky $even’s game board is.

The contestant is given the first digit for free and then earns cash by correctly guessing what the second, third and fourth digits are in the price of the car.  For the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th numbers in the price, two possible digits are given.  To keep the game board from becoming too busy, I probably would have the game set up where the host would just read the possible choices to the contestant.  “Gary, the second digit in the price of that automobile is either 7 or 9.  Tell me correctly and you will win $1,000!”

For guessing the 2nd digit correctly, the contestant wins $1,000.  For guessing the 3rd digit correctly, the contestant wins $1,500 more.  For guessing the 4th digit correctly the contestant wins $2,500 more, for a possible total of $5,000 cash.

In order to have a chance at the car, the contestant would need to have at least $1,000 in their bank.  This means the player would have to have guessed at least one of the middle three digits correctly, otherwise the game is over.

The final digit in the car must be guessed correctly, which is why the game is called “Last But Not Least”.  Getting the last digit right is required to win the car.  There will always be 3 possible digits for the final number in the price of the car (usually 0, 5 and 9).  This would be similar to a player playing “Any Number” and needing only 1 more digit to complete one of the prize’s prices.

At this stage of the game, if the player has any money in their bank, they can try to go for the car.  They will be given several options.  They can quit and just take any cash they accumulated in their bank and not try to win the car; they can forfeit all the cash in their bank in exchange for having one of the 3 choices for the final digit in the price of the car removed, or they can keep the cash and try to select the last digit without any help at all.  If they keep the cash and go for the car, and are right, they win the cash and the car, if they are wrong, they do not win the car and they lose all the cash.   This rule makes 4 outcomes possible (1-Win the car and keep the cash, 2-Win the car only, 3-Quit with the cash only, 4-Win nothing).  If the player decided to quit, and take the money and run, the host could, just for fun, ask the player what they would have chosen as the last digit for the car, and then reveal it to see whether they made a good decision or a bad one.  Audience reaction would be most interesting to me.

This game contains elements of Lucky Seven (stage set up + needing money to try to guess the last digit), Pick A Number (1 in 3 chance with the last digit), Temptation (keep the sure thing or risk it to go for the car), Spelling Bee & Let Em Roll (keep the cash or risk it to try to win the car), and One Away (one of 2 possible digits in the price of the car).

This would prove to be a nice “sister” game for Lucky Seven.  I always like the idea of a pricing game being presented, and not being totally certain which game it is.  Right now, when a car is driven onto the stage, we automatically know the game is going to be Lucky $even.

Junkaholic, as always, should you have any free time and feel so inclined, I'd be most curious to see what kind of gameboard you might design for this idea.  If not, that's fine too.

I look forward as always to any and all feedback, good or bad, regarding this idea.

Kindest regards,
Bill McD.

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Another automobile pricing game idea
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »
I hate to say it, but... I find this to be too confusing.  I really can't follow it very well.  Plus, IMO, it would take too long to play and I don't think playing for a car and cash would be a great idea either.  The show would go broke.  Not only that, I think the contestants would have a hard time understanding the rules.  This seems like Double Digits with a few other games thrown in.  I would make a game design for this, but I really don't see this one working.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Hmm...I keep throwing this around in my head, but I don't like it.  The problem is that, the more digits in the car you guess correctly, the less likely you are to win the car, since you're much more likely to risk $1,000 to improve your odds than you are to risk $5,000.  The fact that each digit is worth a different amount is very awkward, too.

The way I'd do it is to scrap the cash entirely, have five choices for the final digit instead of three, and remove one of the five for each middle digit guessed correctly.

EDIT:  Here's a mockup of my setup...

Each digit is on a giant trilon, and the choices for the final digit are on smaller trilons, with one incorrect choice being rotated to show a Goodman-Todman asterisk each time the contestant gets a digit right.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline wdm1219

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Armadillo, your idea of the trilons, and removing a "bad" number each time one of the other digits is guessed is very inspired!  I agree, that idea really works much better than having the cash amounts offered.

Junk, I'd love to see what kind of design you would make based upon Armadillo's idea and sketch too!

Thanks again,
Bill

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
Click image for larger view.

The contestant is given the first number free.
Digits 2, 3, and 4 each have 2 possible choices that the contestant much choose from.
Each correct guess removes one of the 5 choices for the last digit.
If the contestant can correctly choose the last digit, they win!

Each trilon has a ? for choices not yet revealed, two possible choices for the right number, and the right number itself.

I decided to make the last trilon have eggcrate numbers for the choices so they could easily be removed.

Offline siowafc

• 11/15/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »
Okay, so I modified the rules just a little bit, but here's what I came up with.

The contestant is presented with the car and the first number is given for free and displayed on the gameboard. A model wheels in a little podium that has the two choices for the next digit in the price of the car. The contestant makes his/her selection, and, if correct, they win $1,000. If they are wrong, the do not win $1,000, but the game continues.

The next set of digits and wheel out and the contestant makes his/her choice for the third digit. The same process happens for the fourth number.

At this point in the game, the contestant may have won up to $3,000. If they have won $0, the game is over. But if they have money in their bank, they may play on to try and guess the fifth digit.

Five choices are brought out. The host asks the contestant whether they would like to take the money they have or risk it to go for the car. If they choose to go for the car, wrong digits are removed at a price of $1,000 each. The contestant must spend all of their money to remove digits. They then make their selection. If right, they win the car. If they are wrong, they do not win the car and they will have already spent the money they have previously earned.

Some pictures:

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 06:19:33 PM »

siowafc wrote:
Okay, so I modified the rules just a little bit, but here's what I came up with.

The contestant is presented with the car and the first number is given for free and displayed on the gameboard. A model wheels in a little podium that has the two choices for the next digit in the price of the car. The contestant makes his/her selection, and, if correct, they win $1,000. If they are wrong, the do not win $1,000, but the game continues.

The next set of digits and wheel out and the contestant makes his/her choice for the third digit. The same process happens for the fourth number.

At this point in the game, the contestant may have won up to $3,000. If they have won $0, the game is over. But if they have money in their bank, they may play on to try and guess the fifth digit.

Five choices are brought out. The host asks the contestant whether they would like to take the money they have or risk it to go for the car. If they choose to go for the car, wrong digits are removed at a price of $1,000 each. The contestant must spend all of their money to remove digits. They then make their selection. If right, they win the car. If they are wrong, they do not win the car and they will have already spent the money they have previously earned.

That's basically the same as what Bill said to begin with.  Your way is still just as confusing.  Plus, he has already decided to do away with the money idea and just have each correct guess for digits 2, 3, and 4, take away a wrong choice for the last number.

On a positive note, your board design looks better than mine.  If you could remove the bank readout and maybe have the choices on trilons like I have (thanks to Army) I think we'd have a winning combination.