Author Topic: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1973 - END)  (Read 38647 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1973 - IUFB #1)
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 11:11:59 PM »
$1,016! *glances at tpir04*

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1973 - IUFB #2)
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 12:29:07 AM »
In order, geniusinmath bids $624.

*ding*

Second is tpir04 who bids $1,015.

*ding*

Next up is gamesurf with his bid of $1,520.

*ding*

And JayC rounds us out with $1,016.

*ding*

You're all in a hurry to find out who's won so I won't waste any more time. Actual retail price of the telescope: $2,199!

*bell sequence, 1972 Walking*

gamesurf, you have won! Why don't you come up on stage? You're going to play our second pricing game of the show. I've got a few prizes to show you, starting with one I know you're going to enjoy. Tell him, George!

George: A new car!

A brand new 2020 Chevrolet Equinox LS! Dependability matters with this crossover SUV designed for performance while setting trends in style. It comes with standard features including a 1.5-Liter Turbo 4-cylinder engine, six-speed automatic transmission, four-wheel drive, engine block heater and 17-inch aluminum wheels, the Chevy Equinox!

And we get to see a game that hasn't seen the light in 46 years...

Yep! Good ol' Double Digits! What you need to do is figure out the price of the car digit by digit. We've narrowed all of them down to two except for the first which we'll show you.

The first number is two. Light that up, please.

*ding*

Thank you. Every other digit you're going to guess with the help of four prizes which our ladies will show you. They're all two digits in price, and the actual retail price of the tens digit corresponds to that number in the car's price. We'll start with the thousands digit. Here is a prize that will help you.

George: From TaoTronics, this metallic LED desk lamp has five color modes, six levels of brightness and a timer so you can work with any kind of light you need.

Me: Let me show you the last number in the price of that lamp.

It's zero. The first number is either...

Six...

Or seven, making it $60 or $70. That also determines whether you think that Chevy Equinox is either $26,000 or $27,000. Consider that wisely, gamesurf, and tell me which digit is the best fit for the lamp and the car.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1973 - Sign-Ups)
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 03:16:21 AM »
“Dumb Dora was soooo dumb...when she was playing Double Digits and the host if she understood the game, she drew a _____.”

This was not an instruction manual! Next time I’m answering a prompt it’ll be about “free money instant win game”!

I have no idea whether an Equinox costs $26K or $27K...but $70 looks too much for the lamp. It’s tricky, but I’ll say 6.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1973 - Sign-Ups)
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 07:48:46 AM »
This was not an instruction manual! Next time I’m answering a prompt it’ll be about “free money instant win game”!

I set this script up about three months in advance. The challenge question came much later, so what a koinkydink.  :P

Gonna say that lamp is $60...

That's one. We get to move onto the next digit so here's George.

George: From Best Choice Products, this dual-wheel yard wheelbarrow is designed to tackle the toughest home projects. It has room for five cubic feet of materials and its rubber-coated steel body is rust-resistant.

Me: The last number in its price is...

Nine. Your two choices for the first digit along with the middle number of that car:

Eight...

And nine. Do you believe that wheelbarrow is $89 or $99, gamesurf?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »
Hope it’s a friendly setup...let’s go with 9.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 12:24:34 PM »
Nine it is.

Off we go to the next prize. This is for the tens digit of the car's price. George, what else you have?

George: This backpack. From JanSport, this SuperBreak backpack which has been our top seller for 35 years. It has extra padding with one large compartment and a smaller utility compartment.

Me: That backpack's price ends in...

Five. Tell me, gamesurf.

Is three...

Or four the first number in its price? Remember, you're also matching the fourth digit of the car.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 01:05:37 PM »
Er... how about 4?

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2019, 11:50:43 PM »
We'll light that four up.

We have one more prize to show you. What is it, George?

George: For your Nintendo Switch, Super Mario Maker 2. Create your own Mario levels and match wits against your friends to see who can make the toughest levels or conquer them.

That video game also has two digits in its price, the second of which is...

Eight. The first, which also completes the car's price, is either...

Four...

Or five?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2019, 11:56:54 PM »
*Peanut gallery*

It launched at $60. I have no clue how the price got reduced, but I would expect it at most to be only a $10 reduction. Go $58.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 12:46:20 AM »
Yeah, that’s an easy one (great game, too, btw—bought it a few weeks ago)!

I think Wal-Mart offers Switch games at a discount at $50 at launch—but we’re not talking Walmart price, we’re talking MSRP, and that’s $60 everywhere else. $58’s close enough to my liking.

That’s the only one I’m confident in, though. If this were Temptation I’d be bailing like a hay farmer.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
So, you're going with five.

That gives you a price of $26,945. If you've matched every one of those digits, you've won the car. Any prize you get right is yours, regardless of the outcome. I'm going to give you the option to change any numbers. Do you want to do that?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
I don’t know Equinoxes, but... to use the Litebulb strategy, it’s low-high-low-high, nothing is all low or all high, no consecutive digits. I’d be a lot more comfortable if I wasn’t picking between digits that were one away from each other, but I’ll stick with it.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2019, 12:06:27 PM »
Okay. If that Equinox is $26,945, you are a winner. The price is...

*buzzer, losing horns*

$27,845, and two out of four won't do it. You matched the backpack and the video game, so you win those at least. I'm sorry, gamesurf.

We're gonna try again in just a little bit!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1973 - IUFB #3)
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2019, 09:05:02 PM »
Who is our next player, George?

George: The next name on my list is GameShowFan9001! Come on down! You are the next contestant on The Price is Right!

Me: Here GameShowFan9001 comes, all the way down to Contestant's Row. Janice has the next item up for bids so pay attention...

George: A pair of earrings. From Stella Grace, this pair 10-karat rose gold earrings. Each comes encased in a round-cut morganite center stone and a diamond accent frame, making for an elegant addition to your everyday wear.

GameShowFan9001, the first bid is yours.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2019, 01:04:25 AM »
Hmmm...how about $1,666?