Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/23/2019  (Read 19670 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/23/2019
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 12:29:12 AM »
They only post for specials. 8525 was last season

Yeah but the photos for that episode appeared to also be a Season 48, which is why I ask.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 12:35:16 AM »
Wow, what an exciting season opening we had with that awesome Double Prices playing for a trip (said no one ever).

Count me in as disappointed too that the "bonus" was a car that also counted towards SCSD positioning. It's also pretty difficult to plan for a lineup when you have to allow for the possibility that you are going to need another door the entire show to hide it.

Great to see a DSW though after we got completely shutout last season.

I'm not sure how much hand Mike had in day-to-day operations, but with all the shuffling that went on after he left we could be in line for some rough setups as somebody new figures out how to balance the difficulty.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 12:57:26 AM »
The concept of the Tesla bonus is fine, but Double Prices wasn't the execution they should have gone with, for the season premiere. A more "exciting" opener would have been Bonus Game, with 4 trips in the windows. Big build up, big pay off. It still could had been as easy a setup as DP, but the audience involvement would have been more nail biting.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 01:25:57 AM »
Wow, what an exciting season opening we had with that awesome Double Prices playing for a trip (said no one ever).

Don't you get it? This is all just an entire gimmick to have at least one game  (technically spoilers for this week in the text and link) played in each lineup this week turning 48!

https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/the-price-is-right-then-now-season-48

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 04:37:44 AM »
This is the first time since 1965 that a Price Is Right contestant was told that they won a prize before being told what that prize was.

It's also pretty difficult to plan for a lineup when you have to allow for the possibility that you are going to need another door the entire show to hide it.

I assume they're treating it the same way they treat the Publishers Clearing House bonus (with the exception that this week, they're not building anticipation by announcing at the beginning of the show exactly what the bonus prize will be). There's always a door available to conceal the PCH van, even if it isn't necessarily the same door for the entire episode.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 07:18:45 AM »
I'm not sure if this question should go in here or in a new thread, but what would happen to the bonus prize if a show is skunked (AKA if no pricing games are won)?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline cygnusx1jg

• Outside in Line
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »
Seems to me they all but guaranteed that the first pricing game, Double Prices, was won. C'mon, a trip to Australia either 6 thousand something or 9 thousand something?Hmm, tough one. Same goes for....hold on, I'll wait and talk about that in the thread for today's (9/24) show.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 11:59:20 AM »
I'm not sure if this question should go in here or in a new thread, but what would happen to the bonus prize if a show is skunked (AKA if no pricing games are won)?
The producers will likely set-up at least one forced win at some point during the episode to essentially guarantee it is given away then if someone else doesn’t get lucky and win their pricing game. In this episode it was Double Prices and Bullseye. Bullseye is almost never lost anymore. On the second aired episode it was Push Over that was setup as essentially a forced win.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
The producers will likely set-up at least one forced win at some point during the episode to essentially guarantee it is given away then if someone else doesn’t get lucky and win their pricing game. In this episode it was Double Prices and Bullseye. Bullseye is almost never lost anymore. On the second aired episode it was Push Over that was setup as essentially a forced win.

Only things I could think of would be some sort of carryover, or....it goes to the showcase winner if there was one or something.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2019, 07:37:18 AM »
There's not a whole lot that bothers me about TPIR... but I really hate the whole "huge bonus prize for first pricing game win" thing and in particular the way the Tesla was given away today and how it was followed up by a miserable Lucky Seven set up and playing.   

It would have been so much more enjoyable to see that car being played for in its own pricing game - even with a generous set up to give it a good chance of being win - not tacked on as a bonus to what was the easiest set up of the dullest game that we'll see all season.

I get why the show is doing this - it allows them to boast on their promos that they are giving away these big prizes without the risk that the big prizes won't be won - but part of the thrill of game shows is seeing contestants face some sort of challenge and win, whether through skill or luck.   As it was, the Tesla did absolutely nothing for me.
You summarized my feelings perfectly.  Could not have said it better.  Very disappointing way to kick off a new season.