Author Topic: Big Wheel Sound Effect  (Read 4745 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Big Wheel Sound Effect
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
The Big Wheel beep sound effect has not been synced up with the red arrow in recent episodes.  How long has this been happening?  The final beep seems to be on time but the beeps as the wheel comes to a stop are rarely timed properly.  Are the beeps added in post-production?  I thought there was a mechanism on the left side of the wheel that detects when to sound the beep.  Anyone know what is going on here?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Big Wheel Sound Effect
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:18:08 PM »
As far as I can tell, the beeps are lined up perfectly.  If they're out of sync for you, it's probably a problem with your TV signal.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 12:48:59 AM »
I noticed it too. It seems to me that it's been beeping with the arrow at about halfway between one peg and the next.

The actual retail price is...

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
As far as I can tell, the beeps are lined up perfectly.  If they're out of sync for you, it's probably a problem with your TV signal.
Watch again this week. It was definitely noticible on Monday’s episode, and no it’s not my TV signal, I’m watching on CBS.com!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
Watch again this week. It was definitely noticible on Monday’s episode, and no it’s not my TV signal, I’m watching on CBS.com!

At least from my experience, the CBS.com stream isn’t exactly flawless. Unless something has changed recently, the streams are 1) compressed to something that’s still “HD” but not as crisp as the TV broadcast and 2) displayed at 30fps rather than the correct 59.94i frame rate it airs at, which, combined with the compression techniques used, makes things a bit jittery, for lack of a better term. I would say If there was one part of the show where this would be especially noticeable alongside the audio sync is during the Showcase Showdowns, and that seems to be what you’re experiencing.

Then again, I haven’t watched a recent broadcast of the show, so I can’t speak for any differences y’all are seeing other than what I’ve noticed before.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
I just watched today live on CBS and the beeps were not exactly in sync when the wheel slows to a stop.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who notices this.  It has not always been this way.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »
Watch players’ mouth movements closely the next time that happens. Does the lip-sync also match up? Do people’s mouth movements sync up with the sound they appear to be making, or are they off by a few frames?

That can help identify if the issue is just the Big Wheel or if the issue is with the recording/transmission.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »
Watch players’ mouth movements closely the next time that happens. Does the lip-sync also match up? Do people’s mouth movements sync up with the sound they appear to be making, or are they off by a few frames?

That can help identify if the issue is just the Big Wheel or if the issue is with the recording/transmission.
The lips match the sound but the last couple of beeps as the wheel slows do not.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 10:39:22 PM »
The lips match the sound but the last couple of beeps as the wheel slows do not.

Well, I really don't know what to tell you, then, because everything looks normal to me, including on Monday.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.