Author Topic: "We surveyed one hundred people..."  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
"We surveyed one hundred people..."
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »
Out of curiosity, when it came to the familiar surveys of 100 people on numerous classic shows, did they ask the same 100 people all the questions on each taped show, or was a different group used for each question (at least when it was not a specific group of 100 people for a question relevant to their field/etc)?  Or was it sometimes a little of both? 

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: "We surveyed one hundred people..."
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »
Card Sharks always specified which group of 100 people it surveyed, like "We surveyed 100 firefighters", "We asked 100 women", etc.

Family Feud sometimes did the above as well, but the usual questions started off with "We asked 100 people...", and it may or may not be the same group of 100 per episode unless otherwise specified for the question.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
If they have a "We asked 100 men" and a "We asked 100 women" in the same show, that's a hint right there.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »
If they have a "We asked 100 men" and a "We asked 100 women" in the same show, that's a hint right there.

A hint of what?

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »
One thing I remember is that during the 1994-1995 syndicated one hour episodes of Family Feud with Richard Dawson, quite a few (all?) of the survey questions were recycled from the 1988-1994 CBS/syndicated Ray Combs years. Not only that, but I recall some questions even yielded the same results (answers and number of people) from the Combs years. So, not only did they recycle the questions, they didn't even resurvey them. Not that they had to, of course.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »
A hint of what?

Of whether they polled the same group for an entire show or not.

EDIT: Nevermind, this was accounted for in first message.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 03:03:35 PM »
One thing I remember is that during the 1994-1995 syndicated one hour episodes of Family Feud with Richard Dawson, quite a few (all?) of the survey questions were recycled from the 1988-1994 CBS/syndicated Ray Combs years. Not only that, but I recall some questions even yielded the same results (answers and number of people) from the Combs years. So, not only did they recycle the questions, they didn't even resurvey them. Not that they had to, of course.

Match Game suffered from same thing towards the end with repeated questions. Something Roger Dobkowitz was critical of years later, as he of course worked on the show for its' entire run along with Price.

Offline namilliron

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 07:19:02 PM »

This was true for the RD era as well.

On the "GILLIGAN'S ISLAND/LOST IN SPACE" episode, one of the Q's was "What's your favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie?"

Answer #3 was "FAMILY PLOT", released in 1976 (same year FF premiered) which turned out to be AH's last film but was long forgotten by the time this episode aired (May 1983).

In fact, some players on both teams never heard of said title.