Author Topic: Greed  (Read 6466 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Greed
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 02:16:41 AM »
Also, wasn’t a fan of the survey-based questions they relied on towards the end. Questions like "According to this one study, which four are the mostest..." aren't really fair questions in a game where you need to have all players "know" the answer or go home with nothing. No amount of knowledge can help in that situation; nobody can possibly "know" that for sure.
I think that was precisely why they used them... the more obscure the subject, the less likely a correct answer would be, and thus the less likely a 7-figure payout would be. Yes, I admit it's dirty pool, but I can understand why they did it (and why Millionaire eventually went to that same well, with the "celebrity trivia" garbage questions, in the Shuffle and Chris Harrison eras).

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 10:45:17 PM »
The Terminator was cutthroat (Bob Boden later pointed to it as the start of “meanness” in primetime games)

The eliminator question was pretty mean, too.  Six contestants get on stage and right away one of them is sent back to the contestant pool.  Has to be demoralizing for the one who lost, even though he's still eligible to be picked again.  (In fact, that happened at least once.  The one I saw, the guy also got eliminated the second time.)
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 12:47:27 AM »
Every Millionaire clone back then had to have some sort of qualifier round. Twenty-One had the audience vote for the contestant they wanted to see play next. Winning Lines had 49 people, 43 of which would be eliminated right off the bat. Even on Millionaire, 6-8 of the 10 contestants would leave with nothing but a few seconds of screen time and a free trip to New York.

The qualifier eventually fell out of fashion, but a 5/6 chance of getting on stage once you were cast was pretty generous, all things considered. The Terminator was on a whole 'nother level--a guaranteed $10,000 on a show where nothing is guaranteed, plus the chance at doubling your winnings? That's far too good an offer to pass up. IIRC only like 5 or 6 players ever opted not to use the Terminator. And to underline that cutthroat aspect, the show went out of their way to always refer to the contestants as a "team" working together, even though they were really all individuals technically out for themselves, and odds were very good that they would eventually eliminate each other.

That's another reason I think Greed, even it had been renewed, wouldn't have lasted too long--immediately after 9/11, there wasn't much of a public appetite for TV that was "cutthroat" or "vindictive". Weakest Link's ratings were in the toilet, The Mole and Survivor were postponed, and shows like "Temptation Island" and "The Runner" were dead on arrival. People were looking for feel-good escapism, and Greed wouldn't have fit.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:50:22 AM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 01:01:13 AM »
IIRC only like 5 or 6 players ever opted not to use the Terminator.
And even those, only came on either question 6 or 7, when they knew that every (surviving) team member counted, if they wanted a semi-realistic chance of progressing further into the game.