Author Topic: Pat Sajak Has Emergency Surgery; Vanna To Step In  (Read 27342 times)

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pat Sajak Has Emergency Surgery; Vanna To Step In
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2019, 05:37:47 AM »
- Some of the puzzles are a bit of a farce, particularly in the bonus round.  Is "Quiet Boulevard" an actual place, or just a random generation of two words?
The stupidly-hard bonus rounds are Harry Friedman's attempt to be as tight with the prize budget as humanly possible (since it seems like Sony as a whole is on a shoestring budget these days).

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2019, 07:49:26 AM »
And herein lies the challenge for revitalizing the show when Harry moves on.

It's bad enough the show feels stuck in the past with the puzzles, but if you're going to make it darn near impossible to win as a business necessity, it's going to be tough to ever get it brought into modern times.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2019, 06:19:03 PM »

Why do all the contestants yell their guesses at the top of their lungs and overenunciate?   It just comes across as fake and over the top.  Probably the biggest issue I had with it and enough to make me reluctant to watch.

From what I've read, contestants are encouraged to be really loud and to talk as if they didn't have a microphone.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2019, 10:19:35 PM »
Is it true that contestants aren't allowed to elaborate when guessing a letter that might sound like another letter?  For example, they can't say "B as in boy?"  And if so, why?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2019, 10:45:24 PM »
Is it true that contestants aren't allowed to elaborate when guessing a letter that might sound like another letter?  For example, they can't say "B as in boy?"  And if so, why?

They stopped doing that shortly after the syndicated run started, mostly because it annoyed Merv. Since then, contestants only clarify which letter they want if Pat says "Say that again for me?"

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2019, 11:22:49 PM »
They stopped doing that shortly after the syndicated run started, mostly because it annoyed Merv. Since then, contestants only clarify which letter they want if Pat says "Say that again for me?"

Is ours the only version that has done this? I know at least in other English speaking versions, Australia and the UK namely, they would do the "N as in Nellie" thing for one example.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2019, 12:14:48 AM »
Is ours the only version that has done this? I know at least in other English speaking versions, Australia and the UK namely, they would do the "N as in Nellie" thing for one example.
And ours did too, up until the mid-1980s, for the reasons specified above. "N as in Nancy" was a near-daily occurrence.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2019, 12:42:10 AM »
And ours did too, up until the mid-1980s, for the reasons specified above. "N as in Nancy" was a near-daily occurrence.

Was it always a thing in daytime up to then really? I didn't think it was, although the episodes available from that period are small.....so could be wrong.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
Was it always a thing in daytime up to then really? I didn't think it was, although the episodes available from that period are small.....so could be wrong.

To my recollection, yes.

And it wasn't always consistent – one time it was "N as in Nancy" and another time it might be "N as in Nellie."

There are enough syndicated episodes (from 1983-1984 and early fall 1984) to confirm this was a common practice. Made me wonder, just thinking about it, if this became more a "shout out" to loved ones with a called-out letter than to actually make clear a letter.

Brian

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2019, 03:03:38 AM »
They stopped doing that shortly after the syndicated run started, mostly because it annoyed Merv.

Well, Merv's no longer around to complain.

More important, though: if that is, in fact, a rule, it needs to be eliminated.  A month ago, there was a situation where the contestant guessed B (which wasn't in the puzzle), but Pat heard it as D (which was in the puzzle), enabling the contestant to solve it (link) - and, as it turns out, it was a prize puzzle, which gave the contestant enough of a high score to win the game and go on to the bonus round.

The entire episode is on You Tube and the moment in question is here.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
A month ago, there was a situation where the contestant guessed B (which wasn't in the puzzle), but Pat heard it as D (which was in the puzzle), enabling the contestant to solve it (link) - and, as it turns out, it was a prize puzzle, which gave the contestant enough of a high score to win the game and go on to the bonus round.

You can clearly hear the "duh" sound at the beginning of her D. Also, what you can't see on camera are her lips, which would be a dead giveaway if she said B or D.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2019, 01:26:50 PM »

You can clearly hear the "duh" sound at the beginning of her D. Also, what you can't see on camera are her lips, which would be a dead giveaway if she said B or D.

There was also an episode that was in GSN's rotation a few years ago that I've caught a couple of times. I think it was from the Las Vegas Valetines week. A couple just hit the $3500 wedge, and since the cameras always zoom in on the player(s) when that happens, we could clearly see one of them calling M. I even had the closed captioning on when I watched it and it said "M" (this was before they began putting the letters in the corner of the screen), but it was counted as N, and there were more N's in the puzzle than M's (I believe the puzzle was THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR; the THE was filled in and many contestants just pick the first letter that hasn't been guessed yet which would have been the M). Then they solved, but that extra money wasn't enough to send them to the Bonus Round anyway.

EDIT: I found it on YouTube. Starts at 9:58:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:28:58 PM by RatRace10 »

Offline wheelfan1991

• "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »
Pat did an interview with GMA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuOownr0Vts

In the interview, he was asked how much longer he would host the show, and Pat replied a few more years, two or three, maybe four...

So, when the inevitable does happen, what's next? Is the show done? Does Vanna go too? (I know they have said many times over the years that when one leaves they both leave.) With Vanna's recent hosting stint, is it proof that she could handle the show on her own? Who would be good replacements for Pat, and even Vanna if she decided to leave, as well? Price is an excellent example that the show can go on despite having its icon leave after 35 years at the helm. I think a lot will stem from what takes place when Mike Richards takes over the EP role next fall...but I'm just curious about what the general consensus is among us.

Me personally? I can see the show going on without both Pat and Vanna. I haven't thought much about the ideal replacement for either one. Thinking of names off the top of my head - the first one that comes to my mind is Carson Daly. He's under 50, pretty popular still today with his Today Show gig plus his success from his MTV days. I, personally, think he's quite sexy in the all-American kind of way (not that looks have to factor in to a decision, but it does help). I feel like he would be able to connect across all age groups that watch, and might could draw in a new crowd of fans.

For Vanna? That's a bit tougher. Ultimately, we know that the puzzle board can operate on its own, so a replacement isn't altogether necessary. But if they did, maybe Daisy Fuentes? Or if they wanted to go younger, Shawn Johnson?

Or does the show just close up shop and become a part of history that we tell our grandkids about someday in passing?

Of course, Pat & Vanna were unknowns when they got their gigs, and it was like lightning in a bottle when it comes to the immense success they have achieved for the last almost 40 years, but I don't think it could be done again.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:02:09 AM by wheelfan1991 »
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »
Vanna's third week starts tomorrow. Her co-host still hasn't been revealed, but many fans believe it's Pat's daughter, Maggie Sajak.

Offline Priceboi1983

• In Contestant's Row
  • Come on Down!
    • Justin's Facebook Page
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2020, 12:01:46 AM »
Vanna's third week starts tomorrow. Her co-host still hasn't been revealed, but many fans believe it's Pat's daughter, Maggie Sajak.

I have also seen guesses as to it being Vanna’s daughter (however Giovanna doesn’t have blonde hair) but I am curious to find out tomorrow who it is.
And all this could be yours if... The Price is Right