Author Topic: Pat Sajak Has Emergency Surgery; Vanna To Step In  (Read 27349 times)

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Pat Sajak Has Emergency Surgery; Vanna To Step In
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
I hope that he does. It can be inspirational to the kids to see age-appropriate knowledge on display and show they can play the game if the material is written for them. Hell, let them play final for kids week, if only with a hundred bucks or something. It’s not a big deal.

The kids' version Jep! (the J! equivalent of Wheel 2000) had a curve rule. If somebody finished with 0 points or less before Super Jep! (Final Jeopardy!), their score (or whomever was lowest if it happened to more than one player) was raised to 500 points, and the other players' scores were raised accordingly. (e.g. 5000/-300/2500 became 5800/500/3300). I'm pretty sure Rock & Roll Jeopardy! had this rule too. Maybe for a J! Kids Week, they could have a $1000 minimum for FJ! - anyone who has less than that gets their score augmented to that amount.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »
Sort of surprising that since they already taped the shows with Vanna that they wouldn't just do another week like that, just to fill that one missing week (they already have shows for the following week, using the "extra" 6th shows they normally do in when taping a week).

Most likely they don't skip the actual holiday (normally) since unlike Price is Right they aren't on the same network's stations in all areas, though simply plugging in one rerun for that day would probably work for those who do get to see it.

Wheel and Jeopardy! have always aired new episodes on Christmas Day, which I don't agree with since again, ABC stations miss out due to NBA, and other stations might run Christmas specials or movies in their time slots. Other shows generally air reruns on Christmas. I remember the syndicated version of Millionaire would air at least two weeks of "reruns" starting with the Monday of Christmas week, although these were actually the additional episodes that would air in double-run markets early in the season, giving most markets only carrying the single run the opportunity to air them.

Wheel did plug in a single rerun once on Election Day 2016 since pretty much every network was airing election coverage, but it was a last minute decision. In markets that did air Wheel, the TV guides still said it was a new episode but it was actually the episode intended to be the "Saturday rerun" for the week. I didn't get the episode that day, but some who did said they didn't realize it was a rerun until the past season's Bonus Round minimum was in the envelope.

To make up for missing an episode during the week, however, they slid that week's Friday episode to Saturday, which ended up being an even worse decision. A Saturday in November meant that most of the networks were airing College Football, so some markets didn't bother showing that episode at all (and guides still had it listed as the Saturday rerun, not a new episode), and most of those that did put in the time slot immediately after the College Football game or local news, and since College Football takes forever to finish and hardly ever ends when the TV guide says it will, the fourth quarter took over Wheel's time slot in most markets. My station had it scheduled at 7:30 and local news at 7:00 after the game, but because the game went until about 7:30, the news aired at that time instead of Wheel. AFAIK, that episode never showed up in the summer or Saturday reruns the following year, although the Bonus Round was lost from the looks of it.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure Rock & Roll Jeopardy! had this rule too.

Nope, Rock & Roll J! had the same rule as regular J! where anyone with zero or a negative amount after Double Jeopardy would be eliminated then (unless it was an episode with celebrities playing for charity in which case their score would be raised to 500 then).

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 05:23:51 PM »
Nope, Rock & Roll J! had the same rule as regular J! where anyone with zero or a negative amount after Double Jeopardy would be eliminated then (unless it was an episode with celebrities playing for charity in which case their score would be raised to 500 then).

That's what I was thinking of. I remember in the pre-Youtube days, there was an episode of R&RJ! online and the second contestant was Moon Zappa. She finished with a negative score but was given 500 to play FJ! (which she answered incorrectly and wagered all of it).

Offline ssetta

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 06:37:06 PM »
They had an interview with Vanna this morning on GMA, and she talked about how it's actually been very awkward for her, just because she's never hosted the show in all the 37 years she'd been there. But I have often wondered: could any of you see Drew Carey hosting Wheel? I sure could. Remember how on his early years at Price he used to mock at the small prizes (and occasionally he still does)? Well, they don't have small prizes but I'm sure you heard about or saw the incident from a few weeks ago where a woman lost $10k in cash and prizes due to adding the word "and" to one of those crossword puzzles. I could see Drew making fun of that rule.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
Slightly OT but are any of Vanna's episodes on YouTube? I just did a search for "wheel of fortune vanna white host," but there didn't seem to be any.

(Maybe I missed it explained elsewhere, but what I'm most curious about is the obvious--if Vanna's doing Pat's job, who is doing Vanna's job at the puzzle board?)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 07:01:56 PM »
I don't think any episode with Vanna hosting has aired yet. According to 1202717367588904960[/tweet]]this tweet from Pat, they begin airing next week.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 07:33:34 PM »
Slightly OT but are any of Vanna's episodes on YouTube? I just did a search for "wheel of fortune vanna white host," but there didn't seem to be any.

(Maybe I missed it explained elsewhere, but what I'm most curious about is the obvious--if Vanna's doing Pat's job, who is doing Vanna's job at the puzzle board?)

Mickey Mouse for the upcoming week being Disney Week, not sure about others.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2019, 12:38:02 AM »
Mickey Mouse for the upcoming week being Disney Week, not sure about others.

And Minnie. There is a brief clip in the GMA story of Minnie standing at the board showing a Same Name puzzle, at which point only a T is showing.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 03:40:32 AM »
And Minnie. There is a brief clip in the GMA story of Minnie standing at the board showing a Same Name puzzle, at which point only a T is showing.

Wonder if they are gonna alternate shows/puzzles then? I imagine shows....but guess we will see. What are they running on that rerun week BTW? Anyone know?

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
Wonder if they are gonna alternate shows/puzzles then? I imagine shows....but guess we will see. What are they running on that rerun week BTW? Anyone know?

Home for the Holidays week from Season 36, which originally aired December 24-28, 2018.

If you were pre-empted on Christmas Day last year, now's the chance to catch up on the episode you missed. It was also the only day that week where the Bonus Round was won.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »
Home for the Holidays week from Season 36, which originally aired December 24-28, 2018.

If you were pre-empted on Christmas Day last year, now's the chance to catch up on the episode you missed. It was also the only day that week where the Bonus Round was won.

I half figured that they might do previous season reruns like that. Makes the most sense. It's interesting though, in how they're plugging Vanna's shows, they say she's replacing Pat for 3 weeks vs. 2. Guessing they are downplaying reruns? That or aren't aware of them for the 3rd week.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »
1203368823442665472[/tweet]]According to Pat, the next two weeks will be Vanna hosted shows, then the following two weeks will be Pat hosted shows, then the week of Jan. 6 will be Vanna hosted shows with a "special guest." I'm guessing that'll be the Disney week with Mickey/Minnie Mouse helping out.