Poll

Of the many well-known folks that got a chance (at gameshow hosting), who has done the best job?

Elizabeth Banks
0 (0%)
Wayne Brady
0 (0%)
Drew Carey
2 (66.7%)
Steve Harvey
0 (0%)
Ken Jennings
1 (33.3%)
Keke Palmer
0 (0%)
Michael Strahan
0 (0%)
Someone Else
0 (0%)
No One Else
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closes: May 30, 2024, 11:57:40 PM

Author Topic: Hosting A Gameshow Revival / Following A Legend  (Read 36 times)

supersaver87 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Hosting A Gameshow Revival / Following A Legend
« on: Yesterday at 11:57:40 PM »
It may have been better to wait until after enough season 42 WOF episodes have come and gone to ask here, but I might forget.  Maybe it'll be better during a TV season full of milestones.

Steve Harvey is in his 15th year, and TPIR is celebrating 10,000 episodes, where Drew will be hosting.

I once had my doubts since it's not easy to follow a legend and/or host a revival.  To be honest, it's difficult to host period.  However, I think everyone has done a fantastic job.  In fact, it's gotten to the point where everyone has hosted to the point where they've made the gameshow they're hosting their own.

So, no failure, at least for me.  However, I tend to flip between Drew & Ken when it comes to the "best" job overall based on expectations.

As mentioned, it wasn't easy a long time ago picturing someone other than a host that I grew up watching & was once used to that guy.  Things & times have changed
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Hosting A Gameshow Revival / Following A Legend
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:09:11 AM »
I can only pick one???

Ken would be my top choice. He hit the ground running at J!-----even his guest-host run was great. I do still find it weird that he is "the mega-champ who ultimately became the host"......but his hosting talent speaks for itself.

Of course, there's Drew.......he's definitely settled in to the role (and has been for a while), and he's made TPIR his own. He hasn't tried to "be like Bob", and he shouldn't.

Strahan is "Pyramid"'s best host since Dick Clark (though Donny was definitely not the problem with his respective version by any means). I will admit that the most recent seasons of the show haven't impressed me as much as the earlier ones (I guess I could put the NY > LA move as the "jump the shark" moment), but it's not his fault.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Hosting A Gameshow Revival / Following A Legend
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:51:12 AM »
It may have been better to wait until after enough season 42 WOF episodes have come and gone to ask here, but I might forget.

Ryan’s first tapings happened today. A few of us were lucky enough to make it out there. Even out of the gate, he was excellent.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."