Author Topic: Fresh Off The Boat "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire"  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Fresh Off The Boat "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire"
« on: November 30, 2019, 03:36:21 AM »
They did a Millionaire episode if you was wondering what happen to the S18 Set.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:40:51 AM by Reloaden »

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Fresh Off The Boat "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire"
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »
I thought Regis was retired--I wonder how they got him back? (Awesome that they did though.)

From a real-world production standpoint this is very interesting...since the WWTBAM finale aired all the way back in May, I highly doubt this is the actual standing set. (I can't say I'd be willing to pay storage fees for something that big that was just cancelled after being on the air so long.) I hunted around on Google and turned up some framegrabs from SpoilerTV: https://images.spoilertv.com/Fresh%20Off%20The%20Boat/Season%206/Promotional%20Episode%20Photos/Episode%206.09%20-%20Lou%20Wants%20to%20Be%20a%20Millionaire/

About the widest shot I could find was this one: https://images.spoilertv.com/Fresh%20Off%20The%20Boat/Season%206/Promotional%20Episode%20Photos/Episode%206.09%20-%20Lou%20Wants%20to%20Be%20a%20Millionaire/154006_4380.jpg.php

And here's the best view of the floor I could find: https://images.spoilertv.com/cache/Fresh%20Off%20The%20Boat/Season%206/Promotional%20Episode%20Photos/Episode%206.09%20-%20Lou%20Wants%20to%20Be%20a%20Millionaire/154006_4343_FULL.jpg

It would be a lot easier to tell if there was a better shot of the floor, but based on the low-angle shot toward the ceiling, at best it's a partial rebuild of the set--the crown is missing from the ceiling, as are the spotlights that always ringed the ceiling and the neon strip around the top of the audience. The Hot Seat area also looks to be newly built, since the box of cash looks different than it did in 1999, and the screens look to be off-the-shelf plasma screens instead of having the casings like they did back in the day. I can't tell if they're the same chairs--they do look similar, so kudos to the prop guys.

Even so, nice job to the production crew. The classic music cues, especially Phone-a-Friend, were a nice touch.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »
Regis has been doing some TV work since leaving Live!, reading his Wikipedia he makes monthly appearances on Today with Kathie Lee and Hoda.

Using the original or close to original question and choice graphics would've been great, but yes they did do a good job making things feel like they did on the original Regis version.

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »
It also sounds like it’s using the Rave music for the questions.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 07:39:25 PM »
Did anyone check the credits to see if there was any mention of Ceasars Entertainment Studio being a filming location? It sure looks like they used at least some remnants of the syndicated version's set, with the large screen at center stage replacing the old "doorway" that Regis would use, although those "rails" going up the steps on the sides of the screen look new to me. I don't recall seeing those in the last few years of Millionaire.

So, just like the Wheel of Fortune episode they did recently, they got everything right in terms of the music and sound effects of the appropriate eras, but visually is where things fell flat. I didn't expect the question chyron to be 100% accurate with the original, but I at least expected it to use the signature font it had been using up until the penultimate season of the syndicated version. That, and the "shapes" look closer to the ones used in the Clock era or the "Shuffle" era than the original primetime (which were black, not blue), and the font almost looks like the MS Office default font.

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »
Holy crap. Where is the time going? We've reached the point where WWtbaM is now used in nostalgic TV shows.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
I wonder if they ever reboot Millionaire would they just rebuild the current set and add pieces to it or build a brand new set. Its just interesting

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 06:15:22 PM »
I wonder if they ever reboot Millionaire would they just rebuild the current set and add pieces to it or build a brand new set. Its just interesting

Realistically, at this point I think any reboot of WWTBAM is a long way off. They clearly tried everything they could think of to get viewers to tune (back) in before pulling the plug.

As to the question at hand, in all likelihood the existing set has been demolished by now. It was large and elaborate and storing it--especially with no immediate need for it--would be an expense I couldn't see anyone wanting to go to. Therefore, almost unquestionably, they'd have to start from scratch if there ever was a reboot.