Author Topic: Jeopardy To Host Tournament With Ken, Brad, & James On ABC  (Read 8188 times)

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Jeopardy To Host Tournament With Ken, Brad, & James On ABC
« on: November 18, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »

This will be the first time Jeopardy will be on network television since Super Jeopardy in 1990.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy To Host Tournament With Ken, Brad, & James On ABC
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
This should be some amazing viewing. A minimum of three nights of outstanding competition.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
Called it!

I 100% expect a Ken/James/Brad match to happen sometime within the next few years.  Even if it gets outright staged as a Watson-like exhibition event. There's just too much earned press to leave on the table.

Extremely impressive that it will be on network prime time. But it’s a great fit; Jeopardy! is having a perfect storm of publicity and public goodwill right now.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 03:06:46 PM »
I wonder if it will be a points system again like in 1990. I can see that......also wonder if Alex references Super Jeopardy, seeing as he evidently has forgotten it over the years, given his archive of TV interview years back and from what I have heard about how he's responded about it in studio if asked.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »
Zero reason to mention Super Jeopardy. No one (figuratively) remembers nor cares about it.

Each night is two games, or one match. Total score from the night’s two games is the winner of the match. Three matches wins the tournament.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
Zero reason to mention Super Jeopardy. No one (figuratively) remembers nor cares about it

Well I wouldn't say zero, there would be reason to in the sense of that being the only other time it was on a network directly in Primetime in his era. I could see it at least being brought up to Alex ahead of time to potentially reference on the first night. But shall see.

Someone elsewhere incidentally brought up the point of.....what if Alex announced his retirement at the end of this...and this was his swan song as it were. That could be likely.....given the grandeur of this.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:20:22 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 03:25:18 PM »
Something that happened decades ago is irrelevant. A few game show diehards care, that’s it. This is about these three players.

If his health continues to deteriorate, sure, it could mark a heck of an exit. But I think this is more a confluence of other circumstances and not the plan going in.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
Something that happened decades ago is irrelevant. A few game show diehards care, that’s it. This is about these three players.

I understand that, but I can still see it mentioned just in passing. Alex has referenced the past before, but I guess we will see. This will be a hell of an event either way though for sure.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
Let's be honest. Super Jeopardy sucked.

That said, I'd rather ask him about Malcolm.

Regardless, the TOC is still money based, so this will be as well.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 03:56:37 PM »
Let's be honest. Super Jeopardy sucked.

That said, I'd rather ask him about Malcolm.

Regardless, the TOC is still money based, so this will be as well.

Why do you think it did? And Malcolm also sucked lol. That is brutal to watch honestly.

You just brought up a good point actually, would it be safe to assume then that....for 2nd and 3rd place the totals would amount to either the base payout or their score for the whole tournament if that was higher? I'm a little curious if they may go that route, although the nature of it would make that a bit more complicated vs. a regular TOC.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 04:00:51 PM »
Given the total possible number of games, were it my money, I would make it flat payouts.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »
Given the total possible number of games, were it my money, I would make it flat payouts.

Yeah...kinda my thinking, also where I'd think it might be point based, but may well be wrong.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 04:03:53 PM »

Since the concept, like the TOC, is winning games, it  will be flat payouts. None of three will break $250,000 in winnings to break that barrier and definitely zero will hit $1MM.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »
Absolutely the million is safe. I was solely thinking about the 250 grand prizes.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
That's exciting, but it's too bad that Wheel of Fortune still hasn't been given its time in the primetime spotlight yet. It's really the only game show that hasn't, and it's unfortunate that it's still the case after all these decades. Granted, a tournament like this wouldn't work for WOF, but a celebrity special or miniseries or something would be nice.