Author Topic: Jeopardy To Host Tournament With Ken, Brad, & James On ABC  (Read 8176 times)

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Jeopardy To Host Tournament With Ken, Brad, & James On ABC
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 06:23:39 PM »
...but a celebrity special...would be nice.

Please for the love of sliced cheese, NO. Gameshow celebrity specials have long since lost their appeal for me, in large part because Feud did it, WWTBAM did it, Weakest Link did it, and then TPiR did it, and all except the last one did it right before they met their untimely ends (or in Feud's case, right before they changed hosts). TPiR has run the concept into the ground for me thanks to the glut of "specials" they've done that needlessly included guest stars.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 06:33:50 PM »
That's exciting, but it's too bad that Wheel of Fortune still hasn't been given its time in the primetime spotlight yet. It's really the only game show that hasn't, and it's unfortunate that it's still the case after all these decades.
Given that Wheel of Fortune, in most markets, airs just before or during primetime anyway, who would really know the difference?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »
That's exciting, but it's too bad that Wheel of Fortune still hasn't been given its time in the primetime spotlight yet. It's really the only game show that hasn't, and it's unfortunate that it's still the case after all these decades. Granted, a tournament like this wouldn't work for WOF, but a celebrity special or miniseries or something would be nice.

Maybe that’s because the powers that be realize there’s no need for it. Had it not been for James, this would not have happened. This isn’t trying to appease young siblings by making things “equal.”

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 06:59:56 PM »
Please for the love of sliced cheese, NO. Gameshow celebrity specials have long since lost their appeal for me, in large part because Feud did it, WWTBAM did it, Weakest Link did it, and then TPiR did it, and all except the last one did it right before they met their untimely ends (or in Feud's case, right before they changed hosts). TPiR has run the concept into the ground for me thanks to the glut of "specials" they've done that needlessly included guest stars.

Funny enough, in Australia years back, in the John Burgress era of that show, a Celebrity Wheel was aired for a short period on Saturday Nights. So it has been done before in a Primetime setting, just not here lol.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 09:55:08 PM »
I was hoping we'd eventually see a Ken vs. James showdown, and so we indeed will--and of course better to do it now while Alex still can preside over it.  By all means pass along more information as it comes. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »
A Ken vs Brad vs James matchup was just waiting to happen. Excellent that not only is it happening but it's going to be in primetime network television. Very interesting that it will be first to three wins rather than the traditional tournament format also, I was hoping they would do something like that with this matchup or a future milestone anniversary tournament.

Offline dagdoggnh

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 10:09:10 AM »
Holzhauer cut a wrestling-style promo on Jennings and Rutter via Twitter, inspired by an Scott Steiner promo from TNA Wrestling(now called Impact Wrestling): https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/crossover-star-jeopardy-champion-james-holzhauer-cuts-wrestling-promo-upcoming-jeopardy-tournament-opponents-awesome/

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 06:17:58 AM »
Except that there have never been any celebrity contestants on TPIR, and Game$how Marathon and (pre-WOF) Vanna White's appearance don't count.

It'll be interesting to note that for the first time in 30 years, ABC will air a primetime special of J!, and I'm going to wager (no pun intended) that the Ken-Brad-James matchup will be even more memorable than the Super J! series before it, as they are the three greatest players ever.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 06:38:00 AM »
Except that there have never been any celebrity contestants on TPIR, and Game$how Marathon and (pre-WOF) Vanna White's appearance don't count.

If you'd read my post more closely, you'd have seen that I was referring in TPiR's case to all the times they had extraneous celebrity guest stars. Jack Wagner, the Dollyrots, and all the one-offs like Ed Begley Jr that had no business being on the show at all.

You'd also have seen that I was pointing out that Price has run the concept of doing "specials" into the ground. The glut of needless theme shows has grown just as old.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 01:10:51 PM »

Actually yes there has been although loosely based with them being reality show stars, when they did the 3 episode Primetime Series involving contestants from Survivor, Big Brother and The Amazing Race a few years ago.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »
If you'd read my post more closely, you'd have seen that I was referring in TPiR's case to all the times they had extraneous celebrity guest stars. Jack Wagner, the Dollyrots, and all the one-offs like Ed Begley Jr that had no business being on the show at all.

To be fair, Barker's era would occasionally do this too. Not as often maybe, but here and there it was done over his run, both before the Primetime craze you spoke of and after it. So the cameo appearances concept is not a Carey era only thing by any means.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
To be fair, Barker's era would occasionally do this too. Not as often maybe, but here and there it was done over his run, both before the Primetime craze you spoke of and after it. So the cameo appearances concept is not a Carey era only thing by any means.

Yes, I'm aware he had occasional appearances by others--Mark Goodson's appearance comes to mind, and I want to say he had both Bob Eubanks and Ray Combs on at some point. So I know they're not Carey-only.

My point is still the same: the Carey era took something that could easily work in moderation and took it to a gross excess.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:07:42 PM by ThomHuge »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »
Except that it works quite well for them and suits the TV landscape in 2019 well. So there’s that.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 07:55:28 PM »
Except that it works quite well for them and suits the TV landscape in 2019 well. So there’s that.

Except that they're also showing a lot more restraint these days when they do have a guest star, and it's not such a huge distraction (or constant annoyance in Jack Wagner's case) anymore. So there's that.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »
Yes, I'm aware he had occasional appearances by others--Mark Goodson's appearance comes to mind, and I want to say he had both Bob Eubanks and Ray Combs on at some point. So I know they're not Carey-only.

My point is still the same: the Carey era took something that could easily work in moderation and took it to a gross excess.

I can't argue that one. I'm not the hugest fan of some of the special shows they do to that end...though not celebrity driven that one.....it gets to be a lot. Almost like what Wheel has become with themes every week.