Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 11/27/2019 (TPiR Season 48 College Rivals Thanksgiving Special)  (Read 21494 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Episode #8913K (TPIR Season 48 College Rivals Thanksgiving Special)
Aired – 11/27/2019; Taped – 8/19/2019
Models: Devin Goda, Melissa Ordway
Microphone Handoff: Melissa
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

Remember, as part of College Rivals, the loser of the rivalry who does not get on stage will get $1,000 if the opponent loses their pricing game.

First IUFB: Tailating Package (Coleman: 2 chairs; Weber: grill, 33-piece tool set, table); ARP: $924 (Devin)

ERIC (AUB) KAYLA (ALA) STEPHEN (FSU) PAULETTE (UF)
655 725 726 600

The winner is...
STEPHEN

Stephen is playing Cliffhangers for a new theatre (2 leather recliner chairs and loveseat; 65in 4K OLED television; ARP: $5,528) (Devin).

Small prizes (Melissa): Baster, Wine Opener, Warming Tray

Stephen bids $25 on the baster...
    Hans                                              
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

The ARP is...

$23
Stephen bids $40 on the opener...
                        Hans                          

The ARP is...

$30
Stephen bids $43 on the warming tray...
                                Hans                  

The ARP is...

$47

WIN (Total Winnings: $5,628)

Second IUFB: iPhone and Headphones (Apple: 256GB iPhone 11S Max with beats by Dr. Dre headphones); ARP: $1,599 (Overhead)

ERIC (AUB) KAYLA (ALA) ERIC (VT) LEIGH ANNA (UV)
1049 1850 600 1350

The winner is...
LEIGH ANNA

Leigh Anna is playing One Wrong Price for:

1. ATV (Yamaha: Grizzly 90 with 90cc engine, CVT) (Devin)
  2. Treadmill (Pro-Form: Treadmill with streamable workouts, 32oz water bottle) (Melissa)
  3. Computers (Asus: 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; Asus: laptop with 64GB flash memory) (Melissa)
$3999 $2536 $1749
ATV TREADMILL COMPUTERS

Leigh Anna picks the computers...

$3999 $2536 $1749
$3099 $2536 $1749
    LOSS

Third IUFB: Collection of Outdoor Games (Park & Sun SPorts: Thetherball, bocceeball, volley ball and basketball set); ARP: $576 (Devin)

ERIC (AUB) KAYLA (ALA) KATHRYN (TX) SARAH (OK)
400 401 500 600

The winner is...
KATHRYN

Kathryn is playing Dice Game for a 2020 Carribbean Blue Metallic Chevrolet Spark LS (1.4L engine, CVT, FWD, all-weather floor mats, paint/fabric protection) (Melissa).

1st roll...
Picks: higher

2nd roll...
Picks: N/A

3rd roll...
Picks: higher

4th roll...
Picks: N/A

The ARP is:

WIN

SCSD #1

Beth Mowins of ESPN is here today. She does play by play of the showcase showdown.

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Leigh Anna $1,599 30 20 .50
Stephen $6,552 30 20 .50
Kathryn $17,001 25 30 .55 *SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Pair of Sports Watches (Suunto: Pair of handcrafted watches, 4 bands, 2 heart rate straps); ARP: $1,365 (Melissa)

ERIC (AUB) KAYLA (ALA) ANNIYA (USC) BRONTE (UCLA)
700 500 650 900

The winner is...
BRONTE

Bronte is playing Coming or Going for a new kitchen (over the range microwave, self-cleaning gas range, 4-door fridge and dishwasher) (Devin).

7 6 4 6 4 6 7
COMING -or- GOING

Bronte sets the price to:

7 6 4 6
COMING -or- GOING

ARP: $7,646. WIN

Fifth IUFB: Digital Camera (Canon: EOS 80D 24.2MP DSLR camera with wifi, 55-250mm long range lens); ARP: $1,999 (Melissa)

ERIC (AUB) KAYLA (ALA) CORTNEY (MICH) JOHN (OSU)
1400 1100 1399 1200

The winner is...
ERIC

Eric is playing HOLE IN ONE for a 2019 Nissan Versa SV (1.6L engine, CVT, SV special package, FWD, splash guards; ARP: $17,995) (Devin).

Eric has a chance to putt next to the hole if he/she can place the following items in order from lowest to highest:

• Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal (28oz)
  • Werther's Original Bag
  • Idaho Russell Potatoes (5lb)
  • Cesar Dog FOod (3.5oz)
  • IcyHot Lidocaine Plus Menthol Applicator
  • Hostes Coffee Cakes (8ct)

Eric puts the items in this order:

$500
DOG FOOD COFFEE CAKES POTATOES CANDY CEREAL PAIN RELIEVER

The ARPs are:

$500
99¢ $3.29 $2.29 CANDY CEREAL PAIN RELIEVER

Eric will putt from the 2nd line.

Drew attempts the insipration putt...*SUCCESS*

Eric attempts his putt...*MISS*

Drew changes the game to "Hole In One or Two"!

Eric attempts the second putt...*LOSS*

Sixth IUFB: Designer Luggage (Tumi: 2 suitcases and leather backpack); ARP: $2,240 (Devin and Melissa on CHUGGS)

ANDREW (AZ) ERIC (AZ ST) CORTNEY (MICH) JOHN (OSU)
700 800 1100 801

The winner is...
CORTNEY

Cortney is playing Do The Math for trip to Boston (RT Coach to Boston, MA for a 6n stay in a premier room at the Colonnade Hotel + 1 lunch) (Devin) and a trip to Austin (RT Coach to Austin, TX for a 6n stay at Lone Star Court Hotel + daily breakfast) (Melissa).

± $1,146 =
BOSTON
AUSTIN
Cortney believes it is
- $1,146 =
BOSTON
AUSTIN
= $1,146 =
$5,984
$4,838

WIN

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Eric $1,999 75 STAY .75
OVER
Bronte $9,011 50 50 1.00 *$1,000!*
Courtney $14,208 15 85 1.00 *$1,000!*

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 TOTAL RESULT
Bronte $10,011 40 .40 *SHOWCASE*
Courtney $15,208 30 .30

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Kathryn has the honors...

SC1 - Bronte

SUIT UP FOR THE COMPETITION
  • Designer Accessories (Pair of sweatpants, fleece, sneakers and backpack for him; sweatpants, fleeces, sunglasses, sneakers, fanny pack for her) (Melissa and Devin)
  • Trip to Costa RIca (RT Coach to Juanacasta, CR for a 6n stay at Illuminar Hotel Nesara Costa Rica + daily breakfast and yoga classes) (Melissa)
  • 2019 Volkswagen Jetta S (1.4L engine, 8-speed AT, FWD) (Devin)
Bid: $27,000

SC2 - Kathryn

INVITE THEM OVER
  • Outdoor Bar (Cast Aluminum bar with 2 stools; CozyDays: dining table, 4 chairs; Kubesound: 35liter cooler and audio system) (Devin)
  • Video Game Package (Microsfot: XBox 1 with two games) (Devin)
  • 2019 Mazda Mazda3 Sport (2.5L engine, 6-speed AT, FWD, all-weather floor mats, cargo net) (Melissa)
Bid: $31,000
Bronte
$27,000
TRIP/CAR
$30,400
$3,400
TRIP/CAR
*WIN*
$40,410
Kathryn
$31,000
CAR
$27,308
CAR

Results: 4 out of 6
Winnings: $84,769
Biggest Winner: Bronte (UCLA)

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:13:12 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
It's no use. I gave it my best shot. I'm usually indifferent at worst to the various specials and theme weeks on the show. But I had to stop watching this one after the first pricing game.

I absolutely DETEST the mean-spiritedness of College Rivals Day, especially on Thanksgiving Eve of all days. No contestant should ever win money based solely on other contestants losing.

This idea needs to be buried along with Professor Price in the same dank basement closet.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:36:28 PM by SamJ93 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
It's no use. I gave it my best shot. I'm usually indifferent at worst to the various specials and theme weeks on the show. But I had to stop watching this one after the first pricing game.

I absolutely DETEST the mean-spiritedness of College Rivals Day, especially on Thanksgiving Eve of all days. No contestant should ever win money based solely on other contestants losing.

This idea needs to be buried along with Professor Price in the same dank basement closet.

I'm ok with the theme, but.....what I'm NOT ok with is Beth Mowins doing play by play for the SCSD's. I mean I get why they wanted to include her but.....it just came off super distracting, unnecessary and frankly annoying. I hope they never do that again.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
This is the 4th college rivals episode they have done. Texas / Oklahoma is the only matchup to show up on all 4 shows.
Drew has made 3 putts in Hole in One this season , only one other season has he made more ( S43 - he made 5 )
Nice to hear the Triple Play cue used at the beginning of the show.

Offline Roland

• In the Audience

I agree! I hate these College Rivals episodes, and I refused to even watch this one!

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Eh. It's once a year. It's kinda fun, TBH.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
It’s basically the same rivalries EVERY. DAMN. YEAR. I woke up about 45 minutes into the episode and I heard Beth Mowins commentating and I knew I didn’t miss anything special.

I absolutely hate these episodes.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I don't mind the rivalries format personally. It's an interesting little wrinkle and because of the rivalries aspect giving the contestant of the school that didn't make it on stage $1,000 if the stage contestant loses isn't a problem to me. March Madness time or before the football national championship makes more sense for airing it, but this is the week a lot of college football rivalries play each other also.

Wonder why they brought in someone from ESPN to do the wheel play by play and not someone from the network's own college football coverage.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
As far as themed shows go, I'm indifferent to this one..There are some themed shows that I love and look forward to (Dream Car Week, Big Money Week, Super Bowl, Halloween, Christmas.), there are some themed shows that I hate so much that I boycott them (Mainly playing in pairs or groups shows.) but them some of them are just kind of "there" . For me the college rivals theme is neither here nor there. I don't care about the theme, but I'm not adverse to it either.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Wonder why they brought in someone from ESPN to do the wheel play by play and not someone from the network's own college football coverage.

She does work for CBS mainly as a reporter, and unsurprisingly, she's still horrible.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
She does work for CBS mainly as a reporter, and unsurprisingly, she's still horrible.

Has done/is doing NFL Games now too actually. I don't exactly have an issue with her though, but her being here felt really really odd/awkward, and detracted from the wheel spinners IMO. It made the $1,000 wins in the 2nd SCSD (especially the first one), come off really badly too because of how she reacted to them.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
James wasn't the male model for today's show; it was Devin, and this show made sense given his football background.

I could do without Beth Mowins; while her play-by-play was a throwback to what Bob did before the contestant shoutouts took over with Drew, it was at times distracting. Also, what was up with the arrow shot not being used in the SCSDs??? It wasn't like they were playing in groups.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
If they REALLY wanted to make it interesting, instead of giving the rival school player $1000 if the contestant loses, they should give the money if the contestant WINS. 

It would create a bizarre scenario where an Ohio State fan has to cheer FOR a Michigan contestant.  THAT would be worth watching!!
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
If they REALLY wanted to make it interesting, instead of giving the rival school player $1000 if the contestant loses, they should give the money if the contestant WINS. 

It would create a bizarre scenario where an Ohio State fan has to cheer FOR a Michigan contestant.  THAT would be worth watching!!

Would defeat the rivalry purpose though then to do that.

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
Roadgeek Adam, Devin Goda(not James) was on today.