Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 11/27/2019 (TPiR Season 48 College Rivals Thanksgiving Special)  (Read 21521 times)

Offline AntmanB

• In the Audience
Not only does my DVr keep eating the TPIR Episodes it also keeps eating my SEASON PASSES. ugh.

Offline TalkingHeadsFan

• In Contestant's Row
Beth’s commenting actually made the Showcase Showdown somewhat suspenseful — it was a little over the top but I liked it. She put more effort in hosting in 2 minutes than Drew did the entire show, without playing with her pockets.

-Doug

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Beth’s commenting actually made the Showcase Showdown somewhat suspenseful — it was a little over the top but I liked it. She put more effort in hosting in 2 minutes than Drew did the entire show, without playing with her pockets.

-Doug

Does he still do that? I thought he stopped, and also.....I'm not sure playing with her pockets was the best choice of words just then.........lol.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
It's bizarre to watch people get so angry on this.

I am in a small minority who isn't really as bothered by this special. I understand why it's a problem in the fact that it's active rooting. A couple things to keep in mind. The schools involved aren't getting thousands upon thousands to watch to cheer their school on. This is a niche thing. I'm not watching to hate one school or another. I'm watching because I want to watch average his and hers win life changing amount of money. If they do one show a year where people are a bit more rivalric, it's fine by me.

Also, I was disappointed Beth never did a showcase.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
There are a crapload of people in this thread salty about the $1,000 if your rival loses.  I think they need to ramp it up even further!

I think they should allocate a bit more to the budget on this episode and make it so that if the player on stage loses, the rival not only automatically wins the whole prize they were going for but takes their place in the Showcase Showdown.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
There are a crapload of people in this thread salty about the $1,000 if your rival loses.  I think they need to ramp it up even further!

I think they should allocate a bit more to the budget on this episode and make it so that if the player on stage loses, the rival not only automatically wins the whole prize they were going for but takes their place in the Showcase Showdown.

Okay, that’s gotta be one of the worst ideas I’ve ever heard on this website.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Okay, that’s gotta be one of the worst ideas I’ve ever heard on this website.

I actually am not so bothered by it. I think it would add some suspense to the show if you really wanted to make it different and play up the theme. Wins/Losses would matter a lot then.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:54:04 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?

On the surface, this isn't a bad idea. However, think about it: Suppose I get called on down and nail a perfect bid on the IUFB, therefore sending my rival back. I get to play Spelling Bee, for example. I guess the ARP of each SP exactly, but due to a case of bad luck, I pick all C's, and I don't win the car. My rival therefore wins the car and gets to go to the SCSD and possibly the Showcase, and he didn't even get up on stage! Thanks for your creativity, but I can't say I'm a very big fan of this idea.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:47:58 AM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road

It goes against the spirit of the show, which is to create a fun atmosphere where everyone is rooting for everyone else. I don't care if the excuse is familiar college rivalries--save that for ESPN.

I'm all for bigger-budget shows, but every other part of this is absurd. $1,000 for a rival is one thing--it's pocket change. But giving them the entire prize package AND slotting them for the SCSDN--all without requiring them to actually price anything correctly, which again, is the core mechanic of the show--goes WAY too far.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner

It's a decent idea in theory, but I don't think someone should be rewarded like that when they didn't get on stage or do anything.

This would probably require more time available, but maybe if they did it where the rival contestant gets to go on stage to try to win if the on-stage contestant loses. Besides the time it wouldn't be viable for that many games, but for some it could work. Like if the on-stage contestant plays Grocery Game and goes over without using all the items, then the rival contestant would go on stage to play the game with the remaining items. Or if the contestant loses Pathfinder before the last number, they would not reveal the price, instead the rival contestant would get one chance to complete the game and win the car. For Hole in One the rival contestant would get one putt from the same line if the on-stage contestant loses.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:07:09 PM by JayC »

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
That's not a bad idea.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
It's a decent idea in theory, but I don't think someone should be rewarded like that when they didn't get on stage or do anything.

This would probably require more time available, but maybe if they did it where the rival contestant gets to go on stage to try to win if the on-stage contestant loses. Besides the time it wouldn't be viable for that many games, but for some it could work. Like if the on-stage contestant plays Grocery Game and goes over without using all the items, then the rival contestant would go on stage to play the game with the remaining items. Or if the contestant loses Pathfinder before the last number, they would not reveal the price, instead the rival contestant would get one chance to complete the game and win the car. For Hole in One the rival contestant would get one putt from the same line if the on-stage contestant loses.

You know what, that makes more sense than my initial idea.  It'd require a specific lineup of games that work with it but hell yes, I'd love to see this.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
I personally don't like the "loser goes back to their seat" format at all, because it unfairly advantages the people in the 2nd and 4th bidding positions in contestants row. All they need to do for the first 5 IUFBs is to keep 1-upping the 1st and 3rd bidders (respectively), and, unless the 1st or 3rd bidder gets the price right on the nose, the 2nd and 4th bidders are either going to get on stage or at least be guaranteed to not go back to their seat. Of course, for the last IUFB, they should bid normally.

Going back to the show itself, I liked the idea of having Beth commentate during the SCSD and when I saw Hole in One come out, I thought for sure they were going to bring her out to commentate on that. Unfortunately, it was clear Beth wasn't terribly familiar with the show as she hardly provided any excitement when Bronte and Courtney both hit a dollar.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:56:01 PM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline bagels

• Outside in Line
Why do they keep doing this theme? It's awful. Having the rival school contestant sit down because their rival got up on stage is BS and unfair. Not to mention, the $1,000 prize the sit down contestant gets if their rival loses their pricing game is mediocre. It should be $5,000. Seriously, get rid of this theme. No one likes it.

Edit: The only good thing about this episode was Beth. I liked her commentary during the showcase showdowns.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:21:26 AM by bagels »