Author Topic: Nickelodeon revival of "Double Dare" is no more  (Read 5485 times)

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
Nickelodeon revival of "Double Dare" is no more
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »
Marc Summers announced on his Instagram that after 2 seasons, the "Double Dare" revival he co-hosted with YouTuber Liza Koshy is ending. https://www.instagram.com/p/B11pn6uDA2m/

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Nickelodeon revival of "Double Dare" is no more
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 03:47:21 PM »
This was brought up a long while ago actually, but sad just the same. I wonder still what led to this....Marc was sorta mum when asked.

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »
I really wanted to see this new DD go on for a few more years. X(

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »
It seems like Nickelodeon rarely gets game shows to last more than two years (with the same host) with a few exceptions:

Double Dare (original 1986 version)
Wild & Crazy Kids (original 1990 version)
Nickelodeon/Global GUTS
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Figure It Out (original 1997 version)
Paradise Run

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
It seems like Nickelodeon rarely gets game shows to last more than two years (with the same host) with a few exceptions:

Double Dare (original 1986 version)
Wild & Crazy Kids (original 1990 version)
Nickelodeon/Global GUTS
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Figure It Out (original 1997 version)
Paradise Run

And even of those....only Double Dare went beyond 3 years, and in the case of Legends though it had a 3 season cycle....it only ran a shade under two time wise. So most of their shows either fall into that super short, or just average length and no longer.

Offline dagdoggnh

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »
There was also "Nick Arcade", which only ran for 2 seasons.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 06:29:19 PM »
No idea what their policy is now, but back in the 90's, Nick stopped production of most of their shows after 4 seasons max because they believed kids had short memories and they could just rerun old episodes without too many folks noticing.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »
tbh, classic Double Dare was also Syndicated after 87

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
No idea what their policy is now, but back in the 90's, Nick stopped production of most of their shows after 4 seasons max because they believed kids had short memories and they could just rerun old episodes without too many folks noticing.

Funny, Marc Summers has said this was his rationale in ending Family Double Dare/the original Double Dare itself when he did, as they had enough episodes between all the runs to repeat them forever. Which with FDD in particular they pretty much did. I remember watching early morning reruns often as a kid at my dad's, and had to be at least a year after the show went off, although could be wrong.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »
^Nickelodeon actually reran Family Double Dare (both 1990 and 1992 seasons) all the way up until January 1999.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 05:34:12 PM »
^Nickelodeon actually reran Family Double Dare (both 1990 and 1992 seasons) all the way up until January 1999.

Was it that long after? I thought it ended a little bit before that. I'm 32 BTW for the record, so if I had to guess.....somewhere around 95 or 96......I woulda been watching those early morning reruns. Not sure how long I woulda done that.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 07:04:41 PM »
^Unless you're thinking of Nick Arcade (which last reran in Sep. 1997) or Legends of the Hidden Temple (which last reran in Sep. 1998), I'm positive the Family Double Dare reruns lasted until Jan. 1999.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »
^Unless you're thinking of Nick Arcade (which last reran in Sep. 1997) or Legends of the Hidden Temple (which last reran in Sep. 1998), I'm positive the Family Double Dare reruns lasted until Jan. 1999.

February, actually. After that, they moved to GaS and stayed there until November 2005. They were on Nick at Sunday mornings at 7:30, then they took over Nick Arcade's old time slot half an hour earlier until the move.

Another thing about Family Double Dare. They thought about taping another season right after 1992, hence Mark's comment about a 1994 Tournament of Champions after Granite Toast won it all. It's too bad they decided against it, but they had already made 500 shows at that point. For a cable game show, that's impressive already.

Much like this current revival, it's also too bad. Wish it could have gone on for another season or two. Liza surprised me as being a great host who really interacted with the contestants and it also helped to have Marc Summers involved again. It's still awesome that Nickelodeon decided to give it another chance after all.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 08:50:50 PM »
February, actually. After that, they moved to GaS and stayed there until November 2005. They were on Nick at Sunday mornings at 7:30, then they took over Nick Arcade's old time slot half an hour earlier until the move.

Another thing about Family Double Dare. They thought about taping another season right after 1992, hence Mark's comment about a 1994 Tournament of Champions after Granite Toast won it all. It's too bad they decided against it, but they had already made 500 shows at that point. For a cable game show, that's impressive already.

I'm sorta surprised they didn't run any earlier non FDD shows in that Sunday morning slot given they had all those episodes at their disposal (although I do see they did run some from June to September of 94 but not after that, so still a 5 year window of just FDD). But maybe that woulda seemed less likely to not be seen as reruns given how FDD looked and was shot by comparison? Did they actually run them in the mornings even while the show was still on the air BTW? Or only after?

Online pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
I'm sorta surprised they didn't run any earlier non FDD shows in that Sunday morning slot given they had all those episodes at their disposal (although I do see they did run some from June to September of 94 but not after that, so still a 5 year window of just FDD). But maybe that woulda seemed less likely to not be seen as reruns given how FDD looked and was shot by comparison? Did they actually run them in the mornings even while the show was still on the air BTW? Or only after?

Only after, as it was always between 5 and 6:30 PM eastern during the first-run (and early rerun) era. It did get baffling though to hear Marc plug the airtime occasionally at the end of a show. During the first seven months that FDD was on Nick's schedule, you still had reruns of DD/SSDD weeknights at 6 until Get The Picture premiered in March 1991. And IIRC they were airing just SSDD episodes for that final period, meaning that 1986-88 DD wasn't rerun for about a decade until GAS launched, and it allowed people like myself (born 1985) to witness these who just missed out as a little kid. By then, it started to really feel dated in terms of feeling like a bygone era, but it was still a guilty pleasure of mine when I was in high school. As for the brief period on weekday mornings for DD in 1994, I can't remember seeing anything older than SSDD at the time, knowing that anything pre-1989 that was a Nick original, except for Mr. Wizard, was pretty much out of the loop.

That said, its tough in kids' TV to have a long-running series even if successful. Nick Arcade was criminally neglected in terms of ending first-run production early given the constant evolution of gaming; when it left the schedule in 1997, we were well into the next generation of gaming, meaning that PlayStation, Sega Saturn, and Nintendo 64 video challenges would surely had driven the game further, and of course, there was a lot more room for different Video Zones as well.

Brainsurge/Family Brainsurge lasted a respectable for Nick three seasons, along with a blink-and-miss-it 2014 Nicktoons revival. Still, this was a decent revival that beats the Wild & Crazy Kids 2002 and My Family's Got Guts revivals.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/