Author Topic: Family Feud Canada  (Read 8253 times)

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
Family Feud Canada
« on: December 27, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »
What do you guys think of Family Feud Canada?  I like it!  The intro is a throwback to the days of Dawson and Combs but modernized.    No returning champions here and the program is sponsored by Hasbro.  The set looks but not exactly like the American version, it's sleeker.  Gerry Dee does a good job hosting.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Family Feud Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 08:47:07 PM »
For those of us that don't live in Canada--which is probably more of us than not--can you supply us with something to go on? A YouTube video or something like it that we could watch?

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
For those of us that don't live in Canada--which is probably more of us than not--can you supply us with something to go on? A YouTube video or something like it that we could watch?

CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »
I watched it on CBC here tonight (being in Detroit area has its' perks lol, kinda surprised they didn't black it out here actually but they didn't). Not bad, and do like the intro seeing it after, though wish they used more of the theme but I digress. Hosting is decent, maybe a little stiff but not bad. I definitely don't miss the over sexual aspect of Harvey Feud. This is much more like the Feud I remember from watching Dawson and Combs reruns as a teen and beyond. No returning champs and a smaller budget at $10k, but...still a decent take on the show.

(other episodes can be found by upping the number BTW)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »

A quick search on YouTube popped up four episodes for me. I will say that it's refreshing to watch Feud in this day and age where there's not a sex question every episode.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 09:11:40 PM »
A quick search on YouTube popped up four episodes for me. I will say that it's refreshing to watch Feud in this day and age where there's not a sex question every episode.

Or answer innuendo for that matter.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 09:16:36 PM »
Or answer innuendo for that matter.

Another plus, which has always been a pet peeve for me: It looks like the families are not coached to say "GOOD ANSWER!!!" to even the stupidest answers some contestants give.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 09:24:06 PM »
Another plus, which has always been a pet peeve for me: It looks like the families are not coached to say "GOOD ANSWER!!!" to even the stupidest answers some contestants give.

It actually does seem much more understated in its' tone to be sure. And same, it's stupid/sophmoric, to put it mildly, and doesn't look good at all especially in this era, let alone any others. I'm curious if they would be more lenient with 3 round wins or not here. I kinda doubt it, but it'd be nice if they were, and allowed for solo FM wins again too, which the current version I don't believe ever has had even going back to the Anderson days. I miss that especially from the earlier runs, gave it a more spontaneous, anything can happen feel.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 09:46:33 PM »
The last time I saw a three round win, I believe, was during the O'Hurley era. I recall that past footage was use to pad out the episode. 

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 09:52:04 PM »
The last time I saw a three round win, I believe, was during the O'Hurley era. I recall that past footage was use to pad out the episode.

Oh that's interesting......on past footage part. I do remember O'Hurley era had a few, as did Karn's. I always have felt...and still do frankly feel that the fix to stop the structure of the show having to change in those cases would be to have breaks in rounds 1 and 2 like they did in the old days (outside of the syndicated Dawson shows if I recall which also had the 2 round opening segment after they went to 300 pts), and then just do the double and triple rounds as their own segment, as again the earlier versions always did. It's so easy.....I've never understood why they haven't done it. Especially when you got Harvey, who could easily stretch for time if he had to, I am sure he could as much stuff as he does that has to be edited out to begin with. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline GameShowDude

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 09:39:02 PM »
I was in the audience for the episode that aired tonight, Dec. 30, 2019.  Now that it's been broadcast I can share with you my experience for the first game show taping I attended.   

Last summer when it was announced that CBC would be airing a Canadian version of Family Feud I e-mailed CBC and asked about audience tickets.  They told me to wait until mid-October.  The first day that tickets went up for grabs I got 3 of them (for me and my mom and dad).  I think it was for the second day of taping (Nov. 17, 2019).  I chose Family Feud Canada because they produce the show in Toronto, which is about a 4-hour drive from me.  I don't like to travel too terribly far so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity. 

A few days before the taping date, Nov. 17, I got an e-mail stating that we were to arrive at CBC at 11:30 AM and the show would begin around 1 PM.  That's just what we did.  We drove to suburban Toronto the day before and stayed the night, knowing the next day we'd have plenty of time to get ready, drive into downtown Toronto and then have an early breakfast/lunch at the Sunset Grill just around the corner from the door to CBC we were told to enter.  Sure enough there were other Feud fans filing in ahead of and behind us.  Next we had to check in and sign non-disclosure agreements stating that we wouldn't spoil anything about the episode until after it airs.  After that they kept us waiting a long time in the lobby, long enough one last bathroom break.  Almost a half-hour later they started checking coats and groups of audience members, little by little, were taken up the elevator to the 10th floor.  How I handled this beats me since I'm afraid of any floor higher than the 5th.  They took us through a backstage warehouse and then a narrow hallway with pictures of Canadian celebrities, then settling down in another hallway for seemed like eternity.  At the time we were told that the host and contestants were rehearsing and warming up.  Then, aaaaahhhh, the moment of truth.  We slowly filed into the studio.  The three of us sat on the far left end of the second row.  An audience warm-up guy briefed us on when to stand, when to clap, when to say "Awww" for strikes, and to not blurt out any answers.  They put on some music to get us pumped and said they would play games with the audience during the breaks. 

At this point I couldn't believe it.  A stagehand counted down and then the actual show began.  Each time Gerry Dee said "Show me..." there were a few seconds of hesitation until the judges ruled if the answer was right or wrong.  They played two rounds and then took a break.  Little did I know the in-studio breaks would last longer than the ones on TV.  We played an audience game and for the rest of the break they got us up and dancing to some 2000s music.  Then it was time to count down for the next show segment.  Another round in the books, another break.  Then they had a few audience members come on stage and play a quick Family Feud-like survey game for some cheap prizes (Alas, I didn't get picked).  Time for another countdown, another round.  This was the deciding round of the game.  The next break was interesting because we got to see the stagehands remove the face-off podium from the stage, which took a while.  Then the exciting Fast Money began.  There was some confusion as to which spot Gerry Dee and the first Fast Money player were to stand.  We knew this would be cut from the broadcast.  She gave her answers and the were revealed without a hitch.  Then came the funny, yet frustrating part.  The second Fast Money player walked out.  Gerry had to tell him he needed 78 points to reach 200 points and win $10,000.  (At least that's what the prompter said).  He kept on flubbing his lines, therefore having to make the 2nd contestant redo his walk-on and try again, again and again 'til kingdom come.  Finally after the 5th take he nailed it and the game ended with a bang.  We were told to stand and clap during the credit roll until further notice.  It was weird that no one was leaving after the credits finished, the theme music stopped, and the face-off podium was re-installed.  This was because we were told to stay.  Due to the camera having shot the intro at a bad angle they had to redo the intro up to the point just before the families introduced themselves.  Thank goodness they only needed one take for this after all the Fast Money screwups.  After that it really was the end of the taping.  I wished they would let us know the air date of that episode but they didn't.  Altogether it took a hour and a half to make a half-hour show.  We were taken back to the lobby to get our coats and finally leave and enjoy what was left of the day.  We had planned in advance to stay another night and drive home the next day.  In the end it was a wonderful experience and definitely worth the wait.  I later found out on Facebook from a contestant that the episode I saw in person would air on Dec. 30.  I recorded it live tonight and now have it immortalized on a DVD. 

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »
Well congratulations on you making it to your first game show taping there, I really do appreciate it.

On another note if the winning families do win Fast Money, they get to return for another show for a maximum up to three times and up to $30,000.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 08:55:14 AM »
I have been tired of Steve Harvey schtick for years and how sexual Family Feud is.

The Canadian version is refreshing, Gerry Dee is a good host he keeps the game moving doesn't waste time on a bad answer. I am glad the families don't do the Good Answer thing. That's really annoying.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 06:46:32 PM »
The Canadian version is refreshing, Gerry Dee is a good host he keeps the game moving doesn't waste time on a bad answer. I am glad the families don't do the Good Answer thing. That's really annoying.

Hosting-wise Gerry Dee reminds me a lot like Ray Combs, which I would consider a compliment.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 09:01:16 PM »
If i were CBC,i'd be making a quick deal with ABC and Just For Laughs for a Canadian vs American comics charity week with some twists like Steve Harvey and Gerry Dee ,Louis Anderson and Howie Mandel and Caroline Rhea switch around both hosting and playng duties and in the case of Howie Mandel play for the American and Canadian sides