Author Topic: The Search for Canada's Game Shows  (Read 6268 times)

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
The Search for Canada's Game Shows
« on: January 03, 2020, 10:10:41 PM »
I found out a week ago that Game TV, a cable channel here dedicated to movies and game shows, will be airing a documentary series about Canadian game shows.  It's called "The Search for Canada's Game Shows" and starts on January 16 at 7pm Eastern with a double episode - worldwide streaming will be available on Game TV's website and on the Canada's Game Shows site as well if you're interested in seeing it.

Game TV: http://www.igametv.com
Canada's Game Shows: https://www.canadasgameshows.com/

Have you seen any Canadian game shows?  If so, what are some of your favorites?
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Search for Canada's Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 10:19:47 PM »
Bumper Stumpers would have to be my very favorite thereof; I really liked its unique concept of making license plate puzzles (although I greatly preferred the first bonus round--WIN screen variant specifically).  Monty Hall's Split Second, Pitfall, and Talkabout are also guilty pleasures, and although I haven't seen enough of The Last Word for a full judgment at this time, it looks like it was a reasonable enough concept. 

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 11:26:01 PM »
I remember seeing Definition and Headline Hunters with Jim Perry. Others I recall are This Is The Law and Front Page Challenge.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 10:50:14 AM »
Living in Buffalo I was able to pick up A LOT of Canadian television from CFTO, CBLT and CHCH (In college I watched The Price is Right from CHCH in Hamilton because I got a better reception from there than in Buffalo!), so I was able to see quite a few Canadian game shows growing up. My favorites were The Mad Dash, Super Pay Cards and Talk About. I used to like Just Like Mom, but that show is absolutely unwatchable nowadays for so many reasons.

You should check out Marc Powers "Games O'Canada" segment on YouTube as well as the Canadian Game Show Wiki page: https://canadiangameshows.fandom.com/wiki/Canadian_Game_Shows_Wiki
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 12:01:28 PM »
I remember Just Like Mom. Fergie Olver was kind of weird as the host.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:05:42 PM by Hag »
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
they also have a YT channel with some episodes of Canadian shows https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoEoTdtFfUSv9GSjQUESN6w

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
What has been neglected to be mentioned is that Wayne Cox, who I interviewed for this site a year ago, is hosting it.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 02:55:55 PM »
What has been neglected to be mentioned is that Wayne Cox, who I interviewed for this site a year ago, is hosting it.

I did not know that. Good choice!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »
Here's some I remember watching...
Title: Bumper Stumpers
Host:  Al DuBois
Filming Location:  Toronto(I believe somewhere on the east end of the city near Don Mills Rd.)
Network:  Global

Title:  The $40,000 Chain Reaction
Host:  Geoff Edwards
Filming Location:  Montreal
Network:  Global

Title:  Talkabout
Host: Wayne Cox
Network: CBC

Title:  Pitfall
Host:  Alex Trebek
Filming Location:  Vancouver
Network:  CBC

Title:  Supermarket Sweep
Host:  Tino Monte (who was a also a news anchor in the Tri-Cities Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph IIRC)
Filming Location:  Toronto
Network:  Independent:  Aired on CHCH Channel 11 (Hamilton) in Metro Toronto in the 10:30am timeslot when CHCH Carried TPIR at 11:00am.

Title:  Definition
Host:  Jim Perry
Announcer:  Dave Devall (longtime head meteorologist at CFTO Channel 9 in Toronto and iconic in Canada)
Network:  CTV

Here's some kid's themed game shows courtesy of Canada
Title:  Kidsstreet
Host:  Kevin Frank

Title:  5432-Run!
Host:  Andrew Cochrane
Network: CTV

Title:  I'm Telling!  (Kind of like a kid's version of Tattletales)
Host:  Laurie Faso
Network: CTV or Global (IDK aired around 1987ish so I was pretty young then)
This show was famous mostly for having a pre-teen Paul Walker and his sister as contestants.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 12:04:05 AM »
Title:  Kidsstreet
Host:  Kevin Frank

Title:  5432-Run!
Host:  Andrew Cochrane
Network: CTV

This show was famous mostly for having a pre-teen Paul Walker and his sister as contestants.

Can't forget Uh-Oh! or Canada's answer to Double Dare when speaking of kids shows out of there. It's a bit over the top for me though personally, and not a huge fan of the on location round that isn't really that connected to the rest of the game. But it had a good run there to be sure.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 08:24:16 AM »

(snip)

..not to nitpick, but that one was produced in Los Angeles.

Offline dagdoggnh

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 01:10:39 PM »
Wasn't "The Last Word" with Wink Martindale taped in Canada?

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »
Some little fun facts...

* Kidstreet started its run in Vancouver, then moved to Calgary for its remainder.  Host Kevin Frank and announcer Kathy Morse also worked together on the 1991 show "The Next Line" (using the same Vancouver set as "The New Liar's Club").  Kathy later served as the mayor of Maple Ridge, BC.  Additionally, he and "Next Line" panelist Neil Crone (who hosted a game show of his own in the late 80s called "Wild Guess") contributed character voices to the movie "Thomas and the Magic Railroad"

* Stu Jeffries, who was a semi-regular in the later episodes of "Acting Crazy", was hosting the CBC music series "Good Rockin' Tonite" at the time.  He later hosted another Blair Murdoch game show "The Love Handles" from 1996 to 1998 and is now the morning drive host at Boom 97.3 in Toronto

* After "Bumper Stumpers" ended its run, Al Dubois joined The Weather Network where he was a staff meteorologist for many years

* "Supermarket Sweep" host Tino Monte later joined CTV News 1 as an entertainment reporter when the channel was just starting out

*Wayne Cox later became the weatherman at Global Vancouver, where he quickly became known for wearing Hawaiian shirts on camera during his forecasts.  He retired from the station several years ago

* Like many game shows filmed in Canada, CanCon regulations required at least one Canadian-born personality on camera at any given time.  During the Edwards run of "Chain Reaction" filmed in Montreal, CFCF-TV personality Rod Charlebois was hired as the announcer and on-screen sidekick.  Also, when "Love Me, Love Me Not" with Ross Shafer (Match Game '90) was filmed in Vancouver, Ross had a Canadian female co-host, most notably Marilyn Smith (who worked on "Wild Guess" with Neil Crone)
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 01:50:37 PM »
Wasn't "The Last Word" with Wink Martindale taped in Canada?

Yeah it was, as talked about here:

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
* Like many game shows filmed in Canada, CanCon regulations required at least one Canadian-born personality on camera at any given time.  During the Edwards run of "Chain Reaction" filmed in Montreal, CFCF-TV personality Rod Charlebois was hired as the announcer and on-screen sidekick.  Also, when "Love Me, Love Me Not" with Ross Shafer (Match Game '90) was filmed in Vancouver, Ross had a Canadian female co-host, most notably Marilyn Smith (who worked on "Wild Guess" with Neil Crone)

.....and in the case of "The Last Word", Jennifer Lyall handled announcing/co-hosting/CanCon compliance.

I do wonder, however, how "Beat the Clock" was able to somehow get around CanCon back in the day. Gene Wood wasn't Canadian, Nick Hollinrake never got camera time, and a lot of the celebrities they booked were not Canadian....perhaps the models/assistants were enough to meet the guidelines???
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:08:54 PM by Chief-O »