Author Topic: CSS Results for 01/06/2020 (Game 56)  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
CSS Results for 01/06/2020 (Game 56)
« on: January 06, 2020, 12:07:30 PM »
As is often the case when Stagey DSWs, a few of us followed and upped him. Fate was kind to me, especially with a Plinko doubler. Bully is arguably the most impressive winner though with an incredible bid on a sexed up trips/car case, he deserves that overall win today.

EDIT: I decided when posting this thread to keep something quiet, but I should have been transparent at the start and apologize. priac has brought it up below and I recommend reading the conversation. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:54:00 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: CSS Results for 01/06/2020 (Game 56)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 12:35:48 PM »
Wait a sec. Even though Nam didn't attend this taping, he shared the info that there was a DSW?
This is the first I've heard this.  So, obviously it wasn't the 28k bid, it was the 26.5 bid, and that's why all the bids hovering slightly above 26.5?
How is this fair?

Why is this not "spoiled"?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »
4. There are spoilers emanating from network press releases or local newspapers which divulge winning amounts. Information released by either the network or the show itself, which reveals showcase prizes themselves, without prices, may be valid at the discretion of the Host.

The rules only cover those specific cases for spoilers. He isn't local press; there wasn't necessarily validity to his claim other than him claiming that he attended the later taping. He technically could have lied about there being a DSW and thrown us all off.

I think I was the only one who noticed (you had to remember a specific statement dating back all the way to mid-October, and look up what days were the previous tapings); nam did PM Wayo if he could opt out, and I did PM Wayo asking if the playing should be cancelled, and Wayo stressed that rule.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »
Although the fact that a DSW was upcoming was known to me I wasn't aware of when precisely. However those who did have the knowledge of when it was to air were obviously going to slightly up their bids over the $26,500 as that was the only bid of the two worth of getting a DSW. Not mad at those who did it, it was strategic for sure but should it have been allowed? It's not like we can locate everyone who had prior knowledge of this.

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »
I understand that it's not technically a "spoiler" according to the definition in this game.

However, using information not available to all is NOT strategic, and I'm surprised others don't feel the same. The argument that namhu could have been lying to trick people is a poor one.

Imagine someone gets an insider tip on a stock that a company is going to be acquired and loads up on the stock prior to the announcement.  If an investigation ensued, try giving the SEC the excuse that the insider with the tip could have been lying and see how that flies.

There were players that were told there was going to be a DSW today, and other players that were not aware.  Yes, they had to match tape dates with air dates and determine the episode I get that, but that's not a difficult thing to do.

I'm going to let this go, but it's unfortunate.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:41:13 PM by priac »

Offline Wayoshi

• My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 07:42:33 PM »
It was unfortunate, but technically it was legal.

In the future if you catch wind of something you didn't attend (and of course it's unofficial), you can use it but it's better policy to keep it to yourself. I will now clarify the rules accordingly and use this playing as an example.

The main issue is that while of course nam is trustworthy, hypothetically someone in this situation could be lying to us, or he misconstrued something at the studio, etc. It's not a lock it actually happened, it's not an official spoiler, so while it's kind of in a grey area it really has to count. You're putting your trust in nam here to be right, and in some cases you may have had to decide which bid was more DSW-worthy (that didn't really apply today, if you knew the basics).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:53:16 PM by Wayoshi »

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 08:00:23 PM »
Honestly, if you have that kind of inside information that someone else may not have, while it may be legal to use, best practice should be for that person to not only keep the information to themselves, but also to sit out that playing. Of course, the honor system would have to come to play, and it would be completely unenforceable if said person chose to play, but fair play dictates that if you know something someone else doesn't, you should either (a) share with everyone and risk the game being cancelled, or (b) tell no one and sit the game out. Likewise, if only a few people get told, they should sit the game out in fairness too. There's plenty of opportunities to play; missing one game won't affect anything.

Just my two cents as former Host.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Wayoshi

• My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 08:40:32 PM »
I lean towards rewarding people if they construe these types of spoilers correctly. Other Hosts may say by an "honor system" you should remove yourself from playing in this situation. I don't think either is wrong.

Offline namnhu12

• 12/19/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 09:11:21 PM »
Actually, cu, I had talked to Wayoshi about just opting out.  I was in line for tomorrow's taping and we found out what happened.  Thomas came out of the taping and joined us.  That is when I found out about the DSW.  I did not have any prior knowledge of the lineup or either showcase.  But, I will make sure to be more careful the next time.  That won't be until Season 50.
I got to live my lifelong dream on December 19, 2023.

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »
Honestly, if you have that kind of inside information that someone else may not have, while it may be legal to use, best practice should be for that person to not only keep the information to themselves, but also to sit out that playing. Of course, the honor system would have to come to play, and it would be completely unenforceable if said person chose to play, but fair play dictates that if you know something someone else doesn't, you should either (a) share with everyone and risk the game being cancelled, or (b) tell no one and sit the game out. Likewise, if only a few people get told, they should sit the game out in fairness too. There's plenty of opportunities to play; missing one game won't affect anything.

Just my two cents as former Host.

Precisely. CSS is about showcase pricing skills.  It’s not a game about who can glean insider info better than others, and then use that info to one’s advantage.   

What prevents someone from attending a show - not telling anyone - and then playing CSS? The honor system does.  Btw, whatever person or people told nam about the DSW violated the confidentiality clause all sign. 

(As an aside, both Michael, (the showcase winner on the show I was on) and I upon leaving the room where we were told about collecting our prizes, both walked outside at the same time. About 6 People in line for the next taping saw that we were both carrying poster boards w our names on it ran up to us.  In fact he had one that listed everything he had won and the grand total —-VR Headset, Trip to South Africa, etc (on a cue card drew reads off of at the end).

Well, again, I hope I made my point.  And this will be the last I comment on this.  It clearly violates fair play.   Nuff said.